Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-10-2001, 08:55 PM   #1
Zarthander
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I was looking through my journal and I noticed that on one of the quests, the De' Anarise(sp?) quest, and it said something to the extent of 'this must be taken care of quickly or all will be lost'. Is this literal, or is it just there for roleplayish reasons? Not just this quest, but others too, which say basically the same thing in their descriptions. Is there a time limit for these quests or can I wander around and do things before I attend to them? If there are time limits for some, but not others, I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me.

------------------

---------------------
"Cry cheese and let loose the hamsters of war!!! Evil fear for your rear ends, for no butt shall remain un-kicked!! Right, Boo?"
Old 10-10-2001, 09:20 PM   #2
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Most quests do not have a time limit. IIRC the game will let you know explicitly if there is a time limite involved. Quests with time limits are (minor spoilers ahead!):
- The one where Jaheira gets cursed by Baron Ployer. You have a few days to undo the curse, or Jaheira will die (and cannot be resurrected).

- The quests you do for the matron mother and her protege (can't remember her name) in Ust Natha. If this makes no sense to you, don't worry, it means you haven't reached that part of the game yet.

[opinion]The only obvious weak point in the overall plot of SoA is that despite Imoen being jailed, and the character's determination to save her, there is no urgency to it. You can take months doing all the side quests and there's nothing to indicate that Imoen is languishing somewhere in a dank, gloomy cell, with unspeakable acts of torture being done to her.[/opinion]
Old 10-10-2001, 09:27 PM   #3
Tananda
Elminster

The De'Arnise quest is not time-sensitive - do it when you please. Howewer, there are some quests that have time limit - f.e. quests in Drow City or Jan's quest. But when the task is really timesensitive, the questgiver will tell you the exact time when everything should be done - something like "be there within two days", "find it within ten days", etc. If someone tells you just "Do it quick, this is the matter of ultimate importance" - do not pay attention .

Good luck,
Tanda

[This message has been edited by Tananda (edited 10-10-2001).]
Old 10-10-2001, 10:22 PM   #4
Zarthander
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks, I feel much more at ease now

Yeah, what IS up with the tremendous amount of time you can spend dawdling and saving villages while Imoen is locked up in a dirty cell with an evil pscychotic mage on the verge of cartoonish super-villany. Yeah, lets go find a teddy bear for a little ghost kid and then take another crack at that shadow dragon... she can hang in there for a few more weeks.
Old 10-10-2001, 11:17 PM   #5
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

IMHO perhaps the plot could be improved by more cut-scenes of, say, unspeakable acts being done to Imoen, or maybe a couple of dream sequences where Imoen pleads to the main character to "come rescue me quick, I'm dying in here!"
Old 10-10-2001, 11:35 PM   #6
Fuzzy Animal
Zhentarim Guard

For some reason, I felt pressured
to hurry up and save Imoen as soon
as I possibly could. This really made
the game unenjoyable. So after that I
just usually do most of the side quests
first and take my time (what a relief).