Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2001, 04:00 PM   #41
Bristowe
Elminster

Well...
I don't think I've ever finished the game with any class other than Ranger, Paladin or Thief and never any alignment other than chaotic good (except when Paladin). I guess i'd like to think of myself as playing fair. No 'loophoole' tatics for me thankyou. I try to get the most out of my party both in their interactions and their abilities. Breezing through the enemies and fights in BG2 really is missing much of the point of playin IMO. There is no satisfaction. However, one of the reasons WHY i play almost exclusive rangers (NO kit) is because of the high minimum attribute scores they must have...which basically means i don't have to roll for hours before i get good stats . And thieves? It fits my character (not that i shoplift or anything like that, really!). Paladins cos they're just more 'rounded' than a basic fighter - and it's more of a challege to keep that rep up...Yeah, i roleplay. But i maximise the roleplaying.

There is no problem with either way - as long as you feel you have great fun, it's good .

------------------

Bristowe, Master Assassin
"Everyone dies sooner or later, why not sooner?"
Old 06-05-2001, 04:09 PM   #42
Dramnek_Ulk

When rolling ones charecter the nearest you cna get to Pnp is to just accept the stats as they come to you and not modify them at all. THay makes for a little more intersting playing as you have to think about their attributes and whats most important etc.

------------------
Ooooh! Ooooh! An elf! Are you a Bladesinger? Can you wield two weapons at the same time? Can you dodge Fireballs and sleep upside-down in trees? Ooooh! Ooooh! Tell me you can

Grrrr. GRRRRR. NO! NO! NO! NOOOOOO! Why does everyone keep asking me that!? Answer me, Corellon... why do I always have to get the idiots?

Yeah? I'm an idiot? Well... you're a little pointy-eared tree-hugger! Elfy!. Ha! Yeah! How do you like THAT, Mister Elfy Elf-Face? Farewell... elfy.

Old 06-05-2001, 06:40 PM   #43
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

a slight mix of both. in PnP (which, i dont know the translation of but i assume means "live" role playing as opposed to a computer game) i always go for role playing, refusing to use items or tactics that are out of character. as much as i can i try to carry that over to crpg's as well, such as my fighter/thief not weilding celestial fury because it's definitely not a quiet weapon (boots of stealth and a sword that goes boom, hahaha). i give stats that make sense, such as high dex for elves and thieves (basically if there's an 18 or 19 anywhere at all it's only in the prime req(s) of the class). while role playing a cleric with a 14 wisdom would be fun PnP, there's no rp'ing him in a crpg so why not take the bonus spells with a higher stat.

in crpg's i always play through a few times without cheats and never use lame tactics (even if my main character can take out the entire enemy, how would this make the others feel? just because it's not scripted doesn't mean you can't play it that way.) later games i try to get as many party combinations as possible as their interactions are the only true fun once the battles have been figured out.

once the game has almost worn itself out, i go into total hack mode for a final romp. this usually involves changing a few npc stats and classes though within reason.

it's not too subjective, but i hope that the powergamers stay offline when nwn comes out. we already have diablow2 for that stuff. holy avenger/+2 plate and the imagination of a pebble... i'm not impressed.
Old 06-13-2001, 03:26 PM   #44
Sir Jaren Tor
Dungeon Master

Well I can't imagine what all the fuss is about. CRPGs do not lend themselves well to true RPing. BG and BG2 are better than most about it, but its still just a computer, theres a finite number of things you can do. I RP as much as I can, but BG doesn't have the flexibility that pnp does, so you have to compensate somehow. And... don't forget that the game has to compete in sales with Diablo 2. Which is no small feat in and of itself.
Old 06-13-2001, 09:38 PM   #45
Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil

Me, I guess im powergamer, but I think there's a little (i mean like 000000000001%) roleplaying in me.

I personally think that a lichy option or a death knight aspect should be obtainable. also, a choice of avatars would be nice; c'mon, jeez! let a thief look like a shadow thief (black kind) or a the ability to change your avatar with a special option though who ever you switch with they would have your avatar with all your stuff (unless you unequip it)

------------------
Will the real cheesy lich stop using timestop, stop using time stop, YEAH BABY! :1diablo:

Old 06-14-2001, 05:14 AM   #46
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I admit it, I'm a power-gaming first, role-player second.

I play the game several time first as a power-gamer, making my party into demi-god status.

Later on however, I shift to role-player. Because by then, I know how the game works and I want to have fun pretending. I plan to roleplay Robin Hood and his merry men soon. And characters from a comic strip, College Roomies From Hell!!! <---- Just nice too, 3 males and 3 females.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer, then a Paladin.