Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 07-19-2001, 09:18 AM   #31
homsuplee
Dungeon Master

I do NOT think Celestial Fury is overrated as a weapon. I think it's a game-wrecking item. I mean it ruined so many of my games because it makes things too easy. My favorite class kit is Kensai, so drop 5 proficiency points into katana, grab it, and everything dies too quickly. Dual to thief and backstab mages. Mages have horrible saves, and the stun effect is IIRC not affected by MR. Sure you may not be able to damage the damn person given that they have immunities, but it will keep them frozen, while Sarevok, Keldorn, Minsc, Korgan, Anomen, a one-armed greatsword wielding gnome from the Toulouse, France, work them over.

What I use Celestial Fury for these days, is tossing it to Imoen, and let her have fun with it. Suuuuure, her Thac0 won't let her hit anything more mobile than the broad side of a barn, but it's such a waste to throw that thing away.

Blackrazor, is horribly powerful, but it's also late in the game.

Carsomyr, for me is THE useless weapon. I never play paladins, because I just don't like lawful alignments, and I actually try to roleplay. So, what's left is tossing it to Keldorn, and having him goof around with it. The only problem is, I have so many other tanks that Keldorn, really gets outclassed. The only reason I keep Keldorn is that his emergency dispels really save my ass. Also, in TOB he'll be a summoning battery.

Crom Faeyr is an amazing weapon. It turns Anomen, from whiny, sissy boy, to whiny, sissy boy with 25 str. Anomen in my first game, was pretty pathetic, but using Crom Faeyr, and Holy Might, he can get 25 in all 3 combat stats, and I just buff him ad nauseum, and let him go in and clean house. Nzz-bastard dragon-whatever it was, died to solo-anomen. Not even tanks ! However, he still doesn't hold so much as a candle to my Kensai/mage.
Old 07-19-2001, 10:03 AM   #32
Azred
Drow Priestess

Quote:
Originally posted by deathknight:
IMHO whoever listed staff of the magi and 3 or 4 reasons why its overrated just think about that. I can see saying yeah this 1 thing I can do with this spell or this other thing I can do with another spell. But common thats a whole list of things. I mean I can do just as much damage with a butter knife as I could do with the crom faeyr if you give me enough attacks and enough buff spells and such. The staff has some real good uses, especially in the hands of a multiclassed thief. Being able to backstab and go invis over and over in plain view is nice...
Nevertheless, I still think the staff is overrated based on its common-knowledge reputation. A +5 enchanted weapon that dispels magic with each hit is nice, if the target has magic to be dispelled. On the other hand, how many people use the fireball/lightning bolt effect?

Based on all its hype, the Staff doesn't live up to its own reputation. Enough monsters see through invisibility or cast Oracle/True Sight, one Ruby Ray and the Spell Trap disappears, and Breach ends the Protection from Evil. How many hit points do you have? Not enough--Power Word: Stun.

True, all items have limitations/weaknesses; the combination of factors for the Staff make it overrated.

------------------
An intelligent mind is the key to the universe.

The most distressing thing about practicing magic is the fact that even the most learned sorcerers cannot accurately describe what magic *is*....

Who are you? What do you want?
Old 07-19-2001, 10:49 AM   #33
dimon37
Zhentarim Guard

Good thing about staff of magi is that ALL AFFECTS COME BACK WHEN YOU REEQUIP IT! Also, if you wear cloak of non-detection, they can cast all true sight and true seeing they want, they won't see squat! Thief-mage with a nice katana and a staff of magi is a killer. You can backstab every round. And who cares about protection from evil anyway?
Old 07-19-2001, 11:16 AM   #34
Waluin

Quote:
Originally posted by Hayashi:

But Flail of Ages is great - it's what my kensai uses regularly. The good thing about it is that even if the target is immune to normal damage, the heads give 1 point of damage each (acid, electricity, and cold I think). My kensai regularly dishes about 20+ damage using FoA per attack.
I love my Flail of Ages. It is indeed a fine piece of weapontry. I dual wield it with another fine weapon with my Blade character.

[This message has been edited by Waluin (edited 07-19-2001).]
Old 07-19-2001, 12:17 PM   #35
DonkeyWan
Drow Warrior

I find the criticism of the equaliser a little harsh, basically it is designed for evilly aligned critters, so that you can rip them apart...
Old 07-19-2001, 01:39 PM   #36
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Pity the Equaliser is only +3 :/ It would better if it was +4, +5 is asking too much.

But this is just my opinion.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer, then a Paladin.
Old 07-19-2001, 01:50 PM   #37
dimon37
Zhentarim Guard

hmm, against evil Equilizer is only extra 2 damage compared to Namarra....