Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-16-2001, 06:01 AM   #11
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by Gogson:
One more queation. I have run across vampires and i have some wooden stiks but I do not know how to use them. And they are also too strong for me if they come 2 or 3 at same time. Any advice for an begginer??
Just try to avoid them at first, don't travel at night, use magic against them, the wooden stakes are not for use against vampires in combat.

Old 10-16-2001, 06:02 AM   #12
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
One more queation. I have run across vampires and i have some wooden stiks but I do not know how to use them. And they are also too strong for me if they come 2 or 3 at same time. Any advice for an begginer??
The sticks, are meant to be used on their coffins; but you must kill the owner of the coffin first.

Do you have the Amulet of Power? Equip somebody with it and let him/her take the hits. Helmet of Charm Protection will help against their Domination attacks, Shield of Harmony also protects from Domination. You can also use summons to tank for you while you attack the vampires undistracted.

If you wish to avoid them, you can also wait/rest until it is daytime before walking around.
Old 10-16-2001, 06:09 AM   #13
Gogson
Elite Waterdeep Guard

am asking because I ran into some guy that asks me for help and than a wouman with too vampires attacs and I can not beat them. Is it possible or sould I just say no to the guy.
Old 10-16-2001, 06:10 AM   #14
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
Dundee, the casting failure for low Wisdom only affect's clerics and a high Dex is a MUST for all mages since they don't really get any armor and it's cumulative with defensive bracers, I suggest an elven mage with
8 Str.
19 Dex.
15/16 Con.
18 Int.
9-13 Wis.
5 Cha.
Hmmmm... I see, then a revision on the WIS.

STR: 10 ----> 50 is not enough, 70 is the bare minimum I tend to find. It is irritating when my Mages cannot move because they casted Melf's Minute Meteors and they cannot move because it was too heavy for them... ... I personally choose 12 STR.

DEX: 8 ----> AC is not really important to a Mage because he/she is not meleeing and missile attacks can be dispatched by the tanks or a Stoneskin.

CON: 16 ----> For maximum life.

INT: 18 ----> To memorise as many spells as you can and to be able to cast level 9 spells.

WIS: 10 ----> Any lower and you get Lore penalties.

CHA: 8 ----> Any lower and you get negative reactions.

[This message has been edited by Dundee Slaytern (edited 10-16-2001).]
Old 10-16-2001, 06:14 AM   #15
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
am asking because I ran into some guy that asks me for help and than a wouman with too vampires attacs and I can not beat them. Is it possible or sould I just say no to the guy.
Well... if you are not attached to the Shadow Thieves yet and do nothing to help the poor guy, the vampires will leave you alone.
Old 10-16-2001, 06:15 AM   #16
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I suggest an elven mage with:
8 Str. ---> The Bag of Holding, Scroll cases and Gem Bags can remove a lot of load, 10 Str might be useful though, but no higher.

19 Dex. ---> Sometimes foes manage to break through your tanks and head for your mages, also, if you have a good enough AC, it allows you to memorize more offensive and less defensive spells.

15/16 Con. ---> Anything above this won't benefit mages more.

18 Int. ---> To be able to learn more spells and have a higher chance of learning them.

9-13 Wis. ---> Needed since it gives some magical defense against charm spells and stuff like that, but not too much is needed since only clerics need it high to prevent spell failure and get bonus spells.

5 Cha. ---> Donate at the temples, doing this can get you up to 18 Rep, then you can ignore negative reactions, they've never really made a difference for me, also, a ring can be found rather early on which gives you 18 Cha.

[This message has been edited by Neb (edited 10-16-2001).]
Old 10-16-2001, 06:24 AM   #17
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Even with 8 AC, you do not need to sacrifice offensive spells. Stoneskin will already stop the attacks cold, unless they have elemental damage which is rare in the game.

Even without the WIS bonuses, I rarely fail my saves against mind attacks, your saving throws become ridiculously low in the game.