Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-20-2001, 12:32 AM   #1
StarVid
Elminster

Ok, I've finally grown sick of spellcasters (even though I've yet to pass chapter 3). I think I'll try out some kind of fighter/thief combo for my PC. The question is whether to go for the multi or dual combo. I think that the high level abilities for the fighter will really rock out my F/T if I multi, But if I dual, I can reach level 40 with my thief so I can really max out my thief skills. Any tips for a newbie to the F/T? Thanks.
Old 10-20-2001, 12:58 AM   #2
Archon Devangilous
The Magister

the fighter thief is my favorite combo. I first used a dual class and then multi id have to say i liked the multi better. The thief abilities you gain at higher levels make your character awesome. The fighter part allows your overall attacking to be better which added to a backstab multiplier ... you can predict the outcomes.

I never used to be a big trap user but reading the diferent threads, traps are an awesome ally so havin a multi F/T allows a good use of traps.

if your after justa straight answer, multi class

------------------
Nor shadow or myst
the jester is a myth
he is absolute
beware the jester
Old 10-20-2001, 08:39 AM   #3
StarVid
Elminster

I'm wondering how this would work in ToB though. As in what are my level limits? I know I can pick a new ability every level after 20, but if I cap out at like 25, that doesn't leave me with much to work with.

Also, is use any item really worthwile? I won't have points in 2H swords so I wouldn't ever bother with the holy sword. The only benefit I can see is that I can use mage scrolls (which would probably be pretty useful actually, no?)
Old 10-20-2001, 09:05 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

You start getting Special Abilities when your combined Xp exceeds 3,000,000 during a level up. A Multi-classed Fighter/Thief will have more Special Abilities than either a Single-classed Fighter or Thief.

A Single-classed Thief can have up till 17 Special Abilities.

A Single-classed Fighter can have up till 21 Special Abilities.

A Multi-classed Fighter/Thief can have up till 23 Special Abilities.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer casting total oblivion, then a Cavalier meting out justice. Otherwise, I think I will just be a Blade and torture my enemies with, "My Heart Will Go On".

Platinium Sorcerer of ALSB, Aerie Loving Sacred Band! She's MeowRrrr, and more!

-------------------------
Sorcerer Spell List
Dragon Slaying Tips
Old 10-20-2001, 09:14 AM   #5
Fuzzy Animal
Zhentarim Guard

I actually was thinking of trying a
swashbuckler (a thief who can fight)
and dual wield some cool weapons. The
only reason to play a fighter/thief is
for the hit points and better thaco, and
more weapon proficiencies.
Old 10-20-2001, 11:23 AM   #6
StarVid
Elminster

Thanks for all the tips. I'm liking my elven fighter/thief just fine now.