Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2008, 09:17 AM   #1
Monty3038
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Letter Building Mage Levels

Ok, I know the basics and I understand how to build characters, I'm about 1/2 way through Dragon's Eye and making headway, but my basic question is this. Other than basic combat, using the few spells he has, is there a way to encourage more XP on my Mage to build his levels faster? He is pretty far behind the other characters, and since he isn't very tough, it is hard to get him advanced... the monsters tend to beat him up badly and he dies before he can kill them for the XP... any other suggestions?
Monty3038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Default Re: Building Mage Levels

Hi,

XP is divided equally amongst the party members, regardless of who kills the monsters.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Furthermore, since your mage keeps dying, you're primary goal is to keep him alive, so he can gain levels, and get those spells that will keep him alive longer, plus the spells that are useful for offensive/defensive use.

Stock up on any mage spell you can find that'll improve his/her chances of surviving. Armour, Mirror Image, shield is useful... and don't forget that the priest spell, paladin ability, and mage spell "Protection from Evil" all stack. -6 to your AC for the win.

After your mage is of sufficient strength... give him some offensive spells and watch the fireworks.

Good Hunting!

Edit: By the way, welcome to Ironworks!
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:47 AM   #4
Aerich
Lord Ao

As stated earlier, the best way of levelling your mage is keeping it alive.

If your mage keeps getting killed, I suspect you may need a tactical adjustment. Mages get killed when they end up in the front lines.

Try setting up your troops with your mage in back at some convenient chokepoint. Send a decoy forward, whose job is to find the enemy and run madly back to the protection of the party. Kill, rinse, and repeat. As you gain more experience with this tactic, you will learn how to time your spells for best effect, casting that critical Web or Fireball so that it just misses your decoy but lands in the middle of its pursuers.

If your mage is ever targeted, don't stand and fight unless you cast Mirror Image first. Even then, distance is your friend.

You really only need to memorize one protection spell per level. I prefer to use tactical placement to "armor" my spellcasters, so I can get the maximum offensive use from their spells. Armor is useful since it lasts a long time, and Mirror Image is a great spell for surviving a quick melee. Add Stoneskin when you get it, and you're a lot harder to kill.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:22 PM   #5
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

As a quick add to that, Blur is a very useful spell, until you get Stoneskin. The -3 to your AC is greatly useful at those lower levels. As is the Shimmering Sash. Buy that at first opportunity.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrvias View Post
As is the Shimmering Sash. Buy that at first opportunity.
And after you buy it don't waste it on your mage but give it to your main front-line tank instead...
Old 02-14-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
NobleNick
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty3038
...is there a way to encourage more XP on my Mage to build his levels faster? He is pretty far behind the other characters...he dies before he can kill them for the XP...

To slightly correct ZFR's post: XP is evenly divided amongst all the living party members no matter who made the kill. Assuming your mage started at the same time as the others, and he is far behind in XP, then he is spending a lot of time dead. As was said, the best strategy is simply to keep him alive.

By the time you get to DE, though, your mage should be pulling his weight. You should have Web, Fireball and other goodies. If he is not to the level where he can memorize these, then just keep him alive for a few levels: low XP characters level up fast in DE.

--------------
What's a party
without a song?
Bard's ROCK!!
Party on!

Last edited by NobleNick; 02-14-2008 at 02:19 PM.
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:50 PM   #8
ZFR
Legion Symbol

NobleNick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome back. You were really missed.

It's been what? 2 years?
Old 02-15-2008, 02:06 PM   #9
NobleNick
Quintesson

Yes, it has been 24 months plus 14 days...

and did you notice that I am no longer from the Pacific coast of the U.S., but have moved to North Alabama, deep in the heart of redneck territory?

I'd say more, but do not want to hijack this thread.

Thank you, for the welcome.

--------------
What's a party
without a song?
Bard's ROCK!!
Party on!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:45 PM   #10
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

NobleNick! Wow, great to have you back! You've been sorely missed. [/hijack]

Unless you're playing HoF, sleep is always useul, as are any spells that incapacitate rather than hurt. Give your party members a little edge, instead of having your mage cast magic missile once and hten hiding.