Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 09:59 PM   #1
Lymond
Manshoon

I've had a string of bad luck installing new games lately. My PC is getting old, but I'm running windows XP sp2. The result is that games are either too new to play on my hardware or too old to run with my operating system.

I've never had a problem with either the IWD or BG2 series. Is this a good sign that NWN will probably also work, given that it's from a similar generation?

Lymond
Old 09-19-2005, 10:01 PM   #2
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

What are your system specs?
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 04:12 AM   #3
Zink Whistlefly

Infinity Engine games (e.g. BG2 and IWD) were almost purely CPU based games (apart from adding pretty graphical effects and blending, which didn't affect frame rate).

The Aurora Engine (which powers NWN) actually requires 3D acceleration (few games don't these days!), using both CPU and GPU (the detail at which you can play the game being limited by the performance of both). I wouldn't therefore assume that because you can play BG2 and IWD, you will be able to play NWN, since the engines are completely different. As White Lancer says, if you provide your system specs we'll be happy to help you further.
Zink Whistlefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 03:30 PM   #4
Lymond
Manshoon

OK, I'm not good at this, but I'll give it a shot.

Operating system is Windows XP Pro SP2
Hard Drive 120GB
Memory is 256MB
The processor is an Intel Celeron 82810 (a "value" chip, I know)
I don't think I have a separate video or sound card.

It sounds like the 3d acceleration is going to be a problem.

Lymond
Old 09-20-2005, 05:36 PM   #5
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Certainly seems that way. I can tell you the minimum erquirements which are printed on the box, but mostly these are just guidelines, and they can be fudged a little. Anyways, here we go, minimum requirements:
  • Operating system: 98/ME/2000SP2/XP
  • Processor: Pentium II 450MHz (recommended:
  • Pentium III 800MHz)
  • RAM: 32MB (64MB for WinXP)
  • Video Card: 4MB windows compatible card.
  • Hard drive space: 40MB free space
Thats printed on the box. Doesnt mention any 3D acceleration... but im pretty sure you'll need it.

Whast speed is your CPU rated at? You can also probably get a video card that is good enough for 50 bucks (astralian currency, YMMV).
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 04:31 AM   #6
Zink Whistlefly

They must have screwed up on the box White Lancer (doesn't really surprise me since the manual tends to be utter shash anyway!) - the minimum requirements from Bioware's website show:

• 96MB RAM for Win98/ME, 128 for XP MINIMUM (128/256 recommended)
  • Minimum 1.2GB Hard Disk space, 2.0GB recommended
  • 16 MB TNT2-class OpenGL 1.2 compliant video card required, NVIDIA GeForce 2/ATI Radeon recommended
So without any kind of 3D acceleration this game is a definate no unfortunately. As White Lancer has said, what is the frequency of your Celeron? The 3D card looks like the only let down (unless it's a very slow Celeron) provided you can find a compatible AGP graphics card.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:18 AM   #7
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

IF he does not have an AGP slot, you can usually still hunt down PCI graphics cards for under $120 CDN which will be more than powerful enough to run NeverWinter Nights.
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 01:35 AM   #8
Winter Wolf
Manshoon

How, exactly, does one find out if their graphics card is TNT2-class OpenGL 1.2 compliant? I've got a nn ancient POS graphics card, and I'm curious if it's a problem with my hardware or a driver issue that I'll have to figure out. I'm looking into NWN and don't really feel like forking out cash for something I can't use.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:29 AM   #9
Zink Whistlefly

Easiest way it to go My Computer -> properties -> Hardware/Device Manager and see what Display Adapter you have. We should be able to tell you if it is OpenGL 1.2 compliant.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:06 AM   #10
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Get a geforce 2 if you wish only to play this game and nothing more. $15-$20 online, $30-$40 in stores, It won't play amazingly but it will play. I played NWN's on a PCI geforce 2 for months, worked fine for me.