Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 03-01-2005, 02:05 PM   #1
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Hey all. It is time to create some space on the harddrive and I have played quite a bit of NWN that I can uninstall it without missing play at this point (I can always reinstall). My question concerns my created characters. I'd like to keep the ones I have now. How do I retain my characters for the next time I reinstall the game? Is this possible?
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 02:47 PM   #2
Legolas
Jack Burton

It is very possible.

- Single-player game characters and characters for Local Vault servers are kept in the /nwn/localvault folder.
- Server Vault characters for modules you run (including those of others) are stored in your /nwn/servervault folder. Characters you play on Server Vaults elsewhere, are kept on the computer of the one hosting the module and won't be lost through any uninstalling you do.
- Save game files are kept in your /nwn/saves folder.
- Some data on campaign characters is kept in the /nwn/database folder.
- DM characters you made are kept in the /nwn/dmvault folder.

The game might allow you to save all of these automatically when you uninstall it, I don't know. I never tried [img]smile.gif[/img]
Other than that, keeping a copy of those folders mentioned above does the trick. While you are making copies, it is also a good idea to copy the /nwn/nwncdkey.ini file. This will make sure you have your own CD keys handy whenever you want to reinstall.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 04:09 PM   #3
Darkman

Also be aware that not all modules will save your character automatically. So for example if you are only keeping your localvault & servervault character files and not your saved games, you would need to load the latest saved game of each module and export your character by pressing the Save Character button.

But of course you could keep the saved games as well just to be safe [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2005, 11:46 AM   #4
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Can I simply make a copy of the folders that contain this information and place into a separate folder with all the contained information present in the new folder? Or will I have to transfer my characters piece by piece into a new folder? Thanks for your help.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:51 PM   #5
Legolas
Jack Burton

You can copy the folder, copy the files in the folder one by one, or copy them a few at a time. It all works. Moving the folder's probably the easiest way of doing it, and you can always delete any characters in them that you do not want to keep later on.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 02:41 PM   #6
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Piestrider saved his and my characters to a floppy when he re-installed Windows on my PC and it worked fine.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:27 PM   #7
Albromor
Mephistopheles

By the way, FYI, the game gives you the option to keep your saved games, characters, and one other thing while uninstalling the rest. Legolas was pretty certain that this would be the case.

[ 03-04-2005, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: Albromor ]