Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2003, 12:00 AM   #1
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I've been having a real problem with IW acting like a YoYo lately. It will be up when I browse a thread, only to be down when I try to type a response. Or it will be up when I start a response, only to be down when I try to PREVIEW or ADD Reply. At first, I thought it was a problem with IW, but last night I discovered I had some spyware on my machine. I've cleaned that up as best as I can, but I'm still having the YoYo Effect.

Larry was kind enough to suggest Hijack This - which scans the PC and looks for software that acts like spyware. The only problem is that it can't tell legit software from spyware. So it creates a log and allows the user to choose which software items to delete. I ran the scan and Saved the Log, but there are some files on there that I simply can't tell if they are legit or not.

Could somebody take a look at the log and let me know if there are any files on there that I should keep?

Also - does anybody else have this problem? It seems to be linked ONLY to the IW site. I checked the links to other forums in my FAVORITES file, and all the other urls worked just fine. IW is the ONLY site I'm having this problem with. So while the source of the problem seems to have originated on my machine, it also seems to be inexorably linked to IW for some reason. I also get this same problem on my PC at work....and I don't download ANY software on that machine (for example, the spyware I had here at home came bundled in Morpheus, but I don't have that at work).

Ziroc - do you have any idea why IW is the only url that seems to be affected? And do you have any advice on how I can fix the problem? I've completely lost a couple of very long posts because of this - which is extremely frustrating. I would really like to get the problem solved if I can. Thanks for your help, Dan. I appreciate it.

[ 12-23-2003, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 12-22-2003, 12:37 AM   #2
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

I know what you mean. I have the same problem both at work and at home. It will be up at one point and then as soon as you go to a new thread it is down.

Strange.....
Old 12-22-2003, 01:50 AM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Again there have been multiple threads about this although it has gotten so bad lately for me here it happens almost every second time I post a message. I have purged for spyware with 3 programs and I'm clean...
Old 12-22-2003, 05:06 AM   #4
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Always happen to me, I thought it was my connection that is causing this problem.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:11 AM   #5
wellard
Dracolisk

No problems here, but i use adaware and spyboot often.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:12 AM   #6
Stratos
Vampire

I'm having the same problem, yet I regularely use both Spybot and Ad-Aware to get rid of unwelcome visitors.

Ziroc, any ideas what this might be?

[ 12-22-2003, 05:13 AM: Message edited by: Stratos ]
Old 12-22-2003, 07:01 AM   #7
WillowIX
Apophis

When sites behave as you describe above it could be the DNS. You could try to add it to your hosts file but I have no idea what DNS should be added. I'm sure someone around here knows that though. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 12-22-2003, 07:02 AM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]
Old 12-22-2003, 10:30 AM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

DNS gets set up in the network connections, not in the hosts file. Check with your ISP for the proper DNS and proxy that you're supposed to be using. Either of those could be causing it to have this problem as well.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:49 AM   #9
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I will take the liberty to say that Morgeraut and RevRuby are also having this problem.

I used to have a problem similar to this...but mine was severe enough that I was never able to log on. I followed somebody's instruction and found the Host file, and typed in "IWF IPxxxxxxxxxxx"...whatever it is...and then saved the file. I was able to log in from then on...until one day something changed on the forum and I was suddenly able to log in without the Host File add in.

I used to have a program that allowed you to watch how many hops and to where the hops were being located as the signal travelled to Ziroc's machine, or anywhere else you wanted to track. I do not have that program now...but when I did, it allowed me to see things like if the signal was being lost at what point along the route,,,and whose fault it was...mine or theirs.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:41 AM   #10
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

They should conjure up a few laws against Spyware, it is clearly an invasion of privacy.