Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2003, 01:59 AM   #1
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

I dont have a link to the story, but just from memory it went something like this-

Clooney was at a fundraiser, or some srot of gathering and he was going to speak, he decided to start off with a little joke he said-

"Charelton Heston annouced again today that he is suffering from Alzhimers."

How completely and utterly distasteful is this? And get this, when a reporter asked him if his remark was a little wrong he replied-

"No, Heston is head of the NRA and deserives anything he gets."

To disagree with ones polotics is one thing, but to mock their illness is compeltey out of line.

Openmindedness, righ..?
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 01-21-2003, 02:23 AM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Since we are talking about strange remarks, did any of you watch the Golden Globe award?

There was one girl that won an award. It was a blonde girl, typical hollywood kind. She went up, took her award, and said "You have no idea how many people I had to sleep with to get this award!" and then she added some more things of that kind.

I was playing Divine Divinity, and the tv was playing, and that totally surprised me.

For some strange reason, I don't think she'll win any award any time soon again.

[ 01-21-2003, 02:23 AM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 01-21-2003, 02:59 AM   #3
Jorath Calar
Harper

Eh Luvian, it was an actress fromm Sex and The City, if you've watched the show then you might understand the "joke"...

[edit] oh and that Clooney remark was totally unnecessary, Hollywood actors should not be allowed to express their politics openly...

[ 01-21-2003, 03:19 AM: Message edited by: Jorath Calar ]
Old 01-21-2003, 09:20 AM   #4
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:

[edit] oh and that Clooney remark was totally unnecessary, Hollywood actors should not be allowed to express their politics openly...
I'm sorry but that's complete bollocks. They are people, just like the rest of us. They have the right to their opinions, their politics, and the right to express them. If someone told you that you should not be allowed to express your politics openly I bet that there would be cries of 'free speech' echoing all over the place. I'm sure Hitler or Stalin would have loved your suggestion. Which other professions would you like to gag?

For what it's worth, I do agree that Clooney's comment was in poor taste.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:33 AM   #5
Masklinn

Erm....sorry but...what is the NRA ?
Old 01-21-2003, 09:47 AM   #6
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:

I'm sorry but that's complete bollocks. They are people, just like the rest of us. They have the right to their opinions, their politics, and the right to express them. If someone told you that you should not be allowed to express your politics openly I bet that there would be cries of 'free speech' echoing all over the place. I'm sure Hitler or Stalin would have loved your suggestion. Which other professions would you like to gag?

For what it's worth, I do agree that Clooney's comment was in poor taste.
[/QUOTE]Epona beat me to it. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Hollywood actors have a tougher legal hurdle to win a privacy or slander/libel case - which is why Enquirer and other rags can report untruths without fear of ramification. The legal theory is that one who's in the public spotlight is putting themselves up for public debate/ridicule. In order to win these cases a famous and/or political figure must prove you said the untruth with malice, meaning "with the intention to hurt them."

So, if they have less rights than the rest of us regarding privacy, etc., is it fair to also take away their rights to express their politics - thereby limiting their access to the First, and most important (considering public opinion only), Amendment? Hoooooog - Waaaaaaash!
Old 01-21-2003, 09:49 AM   #7
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Masklinn:
Erm....sorry but...what is the NRA ?
NRA stands for The National Rifle Association, IIRC... Making it kind of logical that Iron Ranger of all people complained about it.

[ 01-21-2003, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 01-21-2003, 09:57 AM   #8
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

I am not a member of the NRA, not would I consider being so, and I find Clooney's remark in poor taste, like Epona. But, as TL says, he does pay a price for his celebrity. I would hate to have some of the remarks that I have made about Alec Baldwin and Babs Streisand made public.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:57 AM   #9
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

Of course Hollywood people should be allowed to say what they want. In the cases of clowns like Sean Penn and George clooney, it just gives them an opportunity to show how damn stupid they are.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:58 AM   #10
Masklinn

Some kind of We_Love_Guns Association ?