Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2000, 08:44 PM   #1
Suul-Yinn

In Baldur's Gate it was far too easy to reach the EXP cap and Black Isle said that they would make it harder this time. However, I have just reached the Underdark and Aerie is on 2,888,000 and my character is on 2,768,000. I haven't cheated at all except to add back the disappearing items due to the bug and to make Minsc 19 STR, as in BG1 I had him read the tome of strength and it seemed right to maintain continuity. I believe there is still a long way to go, so why such a low cap? I intend to use an EXP cap remover as I found it frustrating to be limited in such a way. How do you all feel?

Old 11-17-2000, 09:19 PM   #2
iyke

The main problem for me is that the cap is ONLY JUST too low. - The two multi-classers Jaheira and Aerie are approaching 3 million in my game now, but that progression is just out of reach. If the cap had been set at 3m then it would have made an extra goal for the soon to arrive climax of the game.
Anyone know if it is 'safe' to remove the XP cap ?

Old 11-17-2000, 09:26 PM   #3
Bewildered

I think the cap is too low.

Many a mage out there wishes to match Elminster himself, I believe.

Old 11-17-2000, 09:55 PM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

You can and probably will reach the XP cap if you maximize your quest points and do as many side quests as you can. It's more likely you will hit the XP cap if you are a good character as the XP pays out bigger for them

Actually the first time through I didn't remove it as I didn't do as many side quests as I could - half of them I didn't even know about as I got the game really early and then I just got impatient, wanting to know what the f**k happened to Imoen, so I never hit the cap. But second time around I'm going through with a lot more detail and I will definitely be removing the cap.

I don't think there should be an XP cap - an unofficial patch always comes out allowing you to remove it, and i don't think you should be penalized for trying to do as much as you can in the game.

Oh, and the XP Cap remover works perfectly fine.
Old 11-17-2000, 10:34 PM   #5
Armisael

I don't think there should be an XP cap. I do, however, believe that it should be much, MUCH harder to level up; I'm talking comparative to P&P AD&D. Black Isle have really dug themself a hole and jumped into it with BG2, because by the end of it many characters will be level 20+ - the point at which most AD&D characters are retired.

Old 11-18-2000, 12:11 AM   #6
omegadawn
Welcomed New User

Ive played twice (one m.p. and one solo). now and after all side quests and at the begining of the last chapter my solo character were almost to max lvl and the npc were lower.In the mp game all my characters began to lvl up just after the underdark. I think there should be the option to remove the exp cap.
Also the purpose of the cap is to maintain game balnce and keep the end game challenging.(ideally anyway)
Old 11-18-2000, 03:08 PM   #7
Rikard

I think the real reason to set a cap is that they now don't have to make support for level 30 characters
you can get 60000000(60milj)exp you be level 120 or so but you'll still have the ability of a level 25 character

Old 11-18-2000, 04:28 PM   #8
Shashae

I didn't consider the xp cap to be that much of a problem with teh exception of mages. Would be nice to get 9th level spells, but since the cap stops you from reaching level 18 oh well.
the other place where the cap can be a nuisance is if you want to dual class and go to level 18 or so before changing from warrior. You don't have the ability to get very high level in your second class then. I removed the cap after going through the game once.

Old 11-18-2000, 06:53 PM   #9
Suul-Yinn

I agree Armisael, it is far to easy to level up as you get experience for pratically anything from answering correctly to learning scrolls! Traditional AD&D was much harder. Since you can import characters from BG2 to Neverwinter Nights, I fully expect to be a god by the end of that game, but I will settle for a lesser power!

Old 11-18-2000, 07:08 PM   #10
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Heh. Imagine how tough this must've been for Bioware, they got shit on for people leveling up too slowly in BG1, then in BG2 they got shit on for people leveling too quickly! I guess once they decided to put stratospheric monsters in the game like demiliches, dragons, beholders etc you needed to be pretty high level to stand a chance. BG3 will definitely be the last BG I think.