Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2006, 06:03 AM   #11
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:
quote:
Originally posted by Hivetyrant:
I dont use freeware so I can't help you unfortunately.
Why would you post, if you nothing to say...?[/QUOTE]Dunno, felt like saying it.

No laws against that.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:00 AM   #12
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

This what I find with all these programs. You download them, they find a bunch of errors and you have to buy it to fix anyhting. I don't see how that's free?
Old 11-26-2006, 09:11 AM   #13
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Not the case for anything in my list. They can fix, repair, and protect, free of charge. You get additional functionality if you upgrade to the paid version, but they don't hold you hostage.

One note on what I wrote earlier: I don't mean to imply that the answer is hardware firewall over software. The *real* answer is both, to cover both sides.

As for Startup options that you want to stop, good ol' msconfig lets you do that pretty handily... along with a number of other startup features (like customizing system.ini, services, and others)
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 09:16 AM   #14
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

I was going to say everything Bungleau did.

Variol: that doesn't apply to AVG. I haven't had to buy anything yet. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any firewall product that's free, and most are likely nowhere near as good as Zone Alarm.

I only have this to say about Microsoft' Integrated Firewall - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Old 11-26-2006, 05:20 PM   #15
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

I also agree with Bungleau, Hardware and software firewall is the way to go!

ZA certainly make the best firewall software that I have ever used, but atm I am running Norton 2006 (don't laugh! and its actually really good)

And Sir K, yes, the windows firewall is craptastic, but it generally doesn't hurt if you have it on aswell [img]smile.gif[/img]

Hmm, that reminds me of a funny picture...

Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 07:09 PM   #16
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:
This what I find with all these programs. You download them, they find a bunch of errors and you have to buy it to fix anyhting. I don't see how that's free?
Most, probably all, programs which act that way are scams. Some of them have been run on fresh virgin installs - newly installed, never connected to a network - and still churn out hundreds of problems. Now, there are things which are worth flagging up on a fresh install, but not that many, especially not in SP2 where M$ actually put some thought into the defaults. And they certainly aren't worth paying money to fix, most of them you can fix by hand and all of them can be fixed with free tools. Instead, these scams falsely claim hundreds of errors which the pay version miraculously clears.

Truly free tools like the MS antispyware, adaware SE, SpybotSD, the free personal versions of many AV programs including AVG and Avast, along with free firewalls like ZA or Kerio, are effective for a home user. If you have reason to suspect you are going to come under deliberate attack - say, you have confidential information on your system - then free tools aren't good enough. You want serious security, you pay money for it. But if all you need is to keep your credit card details safe from random scans, any decent firewall (it should pass shieldsup with full stealth), along with anti-malware, antivirus and some common sense is adequate. The last part is the critical part.
andrewas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:16 PM   #17
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

But I'm talking about some of the ones listed above. They all seem to be spyware anyway and I have adware... havn't run it for a while though..

[ 11-26-2006, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: Variol (Farseer) Elmwood ]
Old 11-26-2006, 08:52 PM   #18
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Which ones, Variol? I'm curious... I haven't had any issues with the ones I use, but if there's something I'm missing, I'd like to know...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 09:56 PM   #19
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

You can't be talking about any of mine either, because I have not paid for a thing, nor have ever been asked to.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:45 AM   #20
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Spybot S&D
Ad-Aware
AVG Anti-virus
ZoneAlarm

I tried all of these. Some seemed like they wanted to take over too much. When I ran 1 of them, it searched, then asked if I wanted to clean things. I said said yes and it brought up a window to register and said save $10 now! At that point I closed everything and removed it.

I also don't understand the difference between spyware and viruses. The ones listed above seem to be all spyware programs.