Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 04-07-2001, 10:32 AM   #21
Moni

LadyRae and bilqis,

Good Morning and thank you both for the warm welcomes!

Speaking of antique roses, Lady Rae, I agree wholeheartedly with you!
If you ever get the oppurtunity to travel to Southeast Arizona during the month of April, Tombstone, AZ boasts being in possession of The World's Largest Rose bush. It's there, I have seen it During the month of April it is in bloom and the whole town carries its wonderful scent. Truly a spectacle for both the eyes AND the nose!

Moni

Old 04-07-2001, 01:02 PM   #22
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I, too, am a fan of flowers (which may be strange to you because I'm male, but one of my favorite people was a master floral gardener and he was male (he's passed on, now), so no jokes or snide comments, please!) Anyway, I am very partial to roses. One of the best ways I've used to get my roses to flourish is to place ashes at their base. Roses thrive in alkaline (acidic) soil, and when water seeps through the ashes, it lowers the pH of the soil. The roses love it, although you want to make sure you don't have plants near them that do not care for acidic soil.

I always said that when I die, I want to be cremated and have my ashes placed around the base of a rose arbor, so that I may live anew through their beauty and bring joy to the hearts of others. No nobler duty can I think of than this.

Esotericists (Eliphas Levi, Dion Fortune) have said that the two things that have reached the pinnacle of their evolutionary cycle are the rose and the diamond, since both have achieved mastery in diversity of form. Maybe that's we value both so much.

Old 04-07-2001, 01:44 PM   #23
Moni

Cloudbringer,

I forgot to mention earlier that (if you want to try this) aphids will stay off your roses completely if you throw a little dishwater over it every day. Not too soapy and not too dirty though!

Moni

Official W&W Ditz

Old 04-07-2001, 04:05 PM   #24
Draconia

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
I, too, am a fan of flowers (which may be strange to you because I'm male, but one of my favorite people was a master floral gardener and he was male (he's passed on, now), so no jokes or snide comments, please!) Anyway, I am very partial to roses. One of the best ways I've used to get my roses to flourish is to place ashes at their base. Roses thrive in alkaline (acidic) soil, and when water seeps through the ashes, it lowers the pH of the soil. The roses love it, although you want to make sure you don't have plants near them that do not care for acidic soil.

I always said that when I die, I want to be cremated and have my ashes placed around the base of a rose arbor, so that I may live anew through their beauty and bring joy to the hearts of others. No nobler duty can I think of than this.

Esotericists (Eliphas Levi, Dion Fortune) have said that the two things that have reached the pinnacle of their evolutionary cycle are the rose and the diamond, since both have achieved mastery in diversity of form. Maybe that's we value both so much.
I do not think it strange for a male to love flowers. It is nice to see how men feel about them. Your feelings left me speechless.
I love roses and I have several rose bushes. Not enough, I think. This year I plan on getting 2 more to add to my garden. I did not know that about ashes. I will have to try that. I have one rose bush where the roses have almost no smell and I have no idea what to do. I have read so many books on roses but not one has given me an idea of what to do. Will the ashes help? The rest of my roses are very fragrant except for that one. It was fragrant when I first got it and we planted it. After about a yr, the smell is almost gone.

------------------

Draconia, Dragon Queen
Old 04-07-2001, 04:16 PM   #25
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Hello Draconia. Hope you are feeling even better this weekend. Your roses sound wonderful. The changing colors does sound odd, but I personally would like that. Get a surprise every year! I've seen some rose bushes that actually have multicolored flowers all in the same bush. Not a rose expert here, so can't add much more re roses. This new house seems to have some kind of rose bush in the back yard (has thorns anyway), so I guess I'll have to wait and see what comes up! I just got back from outside weeding this azalea garden on the side of the house. Had to yank out and move the Dusty Millers as I really don't think they match too well with azaleas, not to mention they were planted in the front where they should have been put as a background since they get so large and never really die out.

As I have only lived in houses for the past 3 1/2 years, I haven't had much experience gardening, but I did plant quite a few things at the old house that I will probably repeat here at the new house. I cannot remember a lot of the names anymore as last year I didn't plant anything (too depressing knowing I was just going to move away and leave them behind).

Anyway, I particularly love Lantanas. Another one with multicolored flowers. Gorgeous! I also like poppies and dahlias. Verbena and marigolds are also nice to have (a lot of people don't like the smell of marigolds but for some reason I do)! I tried planting a couple of Lupines, but they kept drooping on me so I probably won't try that one again. Echinacea is also a nice purple daisy-like flower that looks good in the background. Also like Celosias, but they don't seem to do very well for me.

What I want to get first for this new house is a multi-colored butterfly bush. I've seen them in gardening magazines so will probably have to order one as I haven't seen them in any nurseries around here. Also an azeala called an "on-and-on" (supposed to bloom 3 times a year)!

------------------
Old 04-07-2001, 04:19 PM   #26
Draconia

Cloudbringer- Hi, those roses sound beautiful. Where I live, I don't really have too many places to find rose bushes. What I said in my first post is what usually happens with the roses I buy. I would have to travel 3 1/2 hours to find a decent nursery and most of the time, I don't have the desire to travel that far. I buy a rose bush, it says it is this and it turns out to be something else. It's weird. Oh well, I love them all.

LadyRae- That is too bad what happened to the rosebush. I use to have a minuature rose bush in my house that smelled wonderful. You might want to try and find one. It didn't grow very big. It might be something to consider.

Bilqis- Hi sorry to hear about that. Sometimes I don't know how I do it. My husband also has a green thumb. So the both of us do a great job on our yard and gardens.

Moni- Nice to see you here again. I would love to see that rose bush. I just might have to make a trip there and see that. I bet it is a sight to see and smell.

------------------

Draconia, Dragon Queen
Old 04-07-2001, 04:30 PM   #27
Draconia

LadyZ- I am doing good today. I was kind of hoping to be able to go outside today and start deciding what to plant but it is raining. So I am stuck inside.
I want a butterfly bush too. I saw one in a magazine and told my husband that he had to get me one. I thought it was beautiful. I think I might try to find one this year.
I love snapdragons. (Like that was a surprise. hehe) I planted some a couple of years ago. Red, white, light yellow, pink, bright yellow. Then last year, some of the plants came up with those colors intermixed on the flowers. They were so neat to see. I can't wait to see what they will look like this year.
I am not a rose expert either but I hope to learn more. Whatever I am doing, seems to work. I do want to learn more.
All of what you have planted sounds really pretty. I don't get to plant alot of different types of flowers here. Some of them just don't seem to like it out here. So when I finally find something that will grow here, I plant those.
You'll have to let me know about that bush in the back that you think might be a rose bush. I am trying to think of what else might have thorns.

------------------

Draconia, Dragon Queen
Old 04-07-2001, 05:57 PM   #28
Ladyzekke

I don't know any other plants offhand that have thorns so I'm hoping its a rosebush. Guess I'll have to wait a few months and see. Can't wait to see what color all these azaleas here are. Hopefully they are not white because when it rains they start to turn brown with decay, whereas the other colors and types do not. Believe me, they look pretty ugly when that happens. Sometimes you can try to shake the branches and get all the standing water out, and they won't brown as much, but I've done that before and it didn't really make much of a difference, and I got soaking wet in the process!

The neighbors have a lovely magnolia blooming right now (the kind that looks like pink tulips). Smells divine too. Now I want one!! We had a HUGE one at the old house, I bet it is looking gorgeous today.

Don't know what happened, but the nice 70 degree day has dropped down to 55? ARRGG! Weatherman wrong again!! Figures. Wish I had a job like that. I can guess just as well as any!

------------------
Old 04-07-2001, 06:07 PM   #29
Draconia

LadyZ- Hehe. The weatherman is a good easy job. It can't be that hard to guess. Today is so cold, I am bundled up in a blanket. But the weatherman was actually right over here today. He said that it was going to be cold and rainy today.
I don't have any azaleas. I have thought of planting some but I am not sure how they will do out here. I might have to try one but I will avoid the white ones.
I have several lilac bushes in my backyard. I can't wait until it is in bloom. I love the smell. My husband always gets several blooms and brings them in the house. The smell is wonderful and it fills up the house. I love it. *Sigh* I can't wait until my flowers start blooming.

------------------

Draconia, Dragon Queen
Old 04-07-2001, 06:26 PM   #30
Ladyzekke

I've never had lilacs before, but I love flowers with scents. Azaleas actually have a scent, but you have to have a really big one before you notice. I have had a few people in the past mention night blooming jasmine and how there is nothing to compare with the scent. I've always wanted to get one and see what they mean. I usually don't get night blooming flowers, because I always thought "what's the point?", I can't see them in the dark! But maybe I'll try one (they say to have it near your entrance door). I also absolutely love the smell of hyacinth, but alas, only seem to have one only-lonely out in the front of this house. Have to buy him some "friends"!

On the opposite note, there are these trees blooming near my work, they bloom this time every year. Large tree, white buds. They stink like hell! We're talking, these trees could not have been created by God, someone made a mistake in the laboratory or something! They smell like some kinda funky fish! I remember a few years ago I walked up to one of them and went to touch one of the flower clusters and it squished in my fingers like so much snot (sorry if I grossed you out there, but that is an exact accurate description). I had to wash my hands several times to get the stench out. Mind you, the trees LOOK nice, but I don't know what the deal is with their scent. Nor do I even know what kind of tree they are?

------------------