Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-29-2003, 08:41 PM   #71
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by IronDragon:
Thanks for the support and the references.

On a personal note my spouse’s maternal grandparents were both forced to become Christian as children. They and their siblings bore the physical and emotional scars until their deaths. It was not only religion but any use of a native language was forbidden. Nicca’s hands were scarred to wrists when her punishment for speaking Ojibwa to her sister was to have the Baptist minister plunge her hands into boiling water.
Nicca was appalled when her daughter not only rejected Christianity but sought to become trained as a Medicine Woman. She begged to continue to pretend to be Christian for the sake of her children. When the Children became old enough Nicca told them they must keep the language and their beliefs a secret or the Whites would come and take them away and punish them like she was punished.

BTW Nicca is the Ojibwa word for both Grandmother and the Moon. Since her mother’s death three years ago my mother-in-law has assumed that title for the family.

As the growing collection of nieces and nephews approach school age (Nicca’s sixth grandchild is due in August) my sibling-laws are pondering just how to balance their children’s religion with their fears of persecution.
That is terrible what happened to your spouse's family, you have my understanding. Personally I have Cherokee blood in my veins and I'm greatly saddened seeing the vast majority of my relatives deny, even though my Dad has traced the genealogy back to a full-blooded Cherokee woman about 5 generations back on his mom's side.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:50 PM   #72
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Bardan the Slayer:
Ouch! The perception of the USA I always had was that Magik was right and it was founded on Christianity, but reading this, it seems like the founding fathers had quite a high level of disgust for Christianity.

I guess the common perception may be (and certainly the one I had) was that America is a Christian country (in general) because it grew out of the Christianity of the founding fathers. Looks like I should change my perception to 'America is a Christian country in spite of the opinions of the founding fathers.'

It was certainly an eye-opener to see how vehemently some of those great men denied that they wanted anything to do with Christianity and the Christian Church, especially when it came to the business of founding a Government.

I was quite surprised at these quotations as well, since I have recently (fall 2002 semester) finished a course of study on the topic in college and have read many of their private letters to friends and family on the subject...I never once got the hint that they hated their religions and had the impression that not only were they religious men, they attended service regularly....now I will have to do more research on the issue specificly because like I said this doesnt jibe with what I have read on the subject to date.....if I cannot find evidence to the contrary I will have to admit defeat and admit I was wrong....(oh the shame of it all )

Good posts Reeka.