Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2004, 12:57 AM   #1
Loudhy
Drizzt Do'Urden

Maybe a little bit late, but I found Wizard & Warriors this weekend in a shop. Before I start playing, is there a patch required for the game ? Can you give me a link ?

Thankx

Loudhy

[img]graemlins/monster5.gif[/img]

[ 07-06-2004, 12:57 AM: Message edited by: Loudhy ]
Loudhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 01:07 AM   #2
Greyem
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Welcome to the boards Loudhy. There is a patch you can get (see the tech tips thread) there is also a thread a bit further down this page "to patch or not to patch" that you may have now seen. If not give it a read.

I hope you find the world of W&W as intruging as we do.

Regards,

Greyem of Kamberra
Old 07-06-2004, 01:09 AM   #3
Dang
The Magister

Hey, Loudhy, aren't you that super-ninja, always play IronMan, never reload player I remember from the Wizardry 8 boards?
Dang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 01:14 AM   #4
Loudhy
Drizzt Do'Urden

Maybe, Dang

I never played IronMan but you're right, I never reload if a party is destroyed. But what do mean with super-ninja ?? I play a ninja in my group the first time in my current attempt to win the game on expert.

Old 07-06-2004, 08:13 AM   #5
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Welcome back, Loudhy. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] Glad you found it.

I recommend not installing the patch. [img]smile.gif[/img] The bugs that it fixes are in my opinion not worth having fixed in comparison with the cheating opportunities you miss. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2004, 01:04 PM   #6
Dang
The Magister

Well, ninjas were the creme-de-la-creme in all the Wizardries up until 8, and I was impressed by a lot of your tales of derring-do on the Wiz 8 board, as well as having the guts to just let go when a party dies. So in my mind you're a "super-ninja" player. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Dang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 01:48 AM   #7
Loudhy
Drizzt Do'Urden

Hi all,

@ bsftcs,
I'm not often in this part of the forum in the future, because I always try to win a game first without reading hints.
But I'm interested : How can you cheat ? Is it necessary ?
If not, I'll install the patch.

@Dang
Wow, thanks. But my way to play a RPG is nothing special, I think.
IMO reloading after a fault is cheating. I always handle a party carefully. I spend much time to create them and build them up. And I think winning a game without a destroyed party is more satisfying than try.. error.. reload, try.. error.. reload and so on
Of course I sometimes miss some goodies (f.e. Lightsword in W8) but hey, you can't get everything.

I'm very happy, that I found W&W after more than 6 month of searching and we'll see how my first party works.

Old 07-07-2004, 03:39 AM   #8
Radek
Red Dragon

No, cheating isn't necessary in W&W. Nevertheless, I recommend forgetting the patch, too The patch does not fix anything essential. On the other hand, the omissions and bugs in the game are an infinite source of surprising solutions of game events. The less the game is patched the better [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Well, the bugs can also become a source of frustration. Some hints:

1. Never move items between party member inventories in the town or in the inn - until you know what can happen and how to avoid it. See the "best tips" thread.

2. The crazy dance. Sometimes, when you try to pick an item from the ground or to manipulate a lever, etc., the party starts a crazy dance instead of approaching the item (lever, etc.) and make the wanted action. If it happens then make a step somewhere, it does not matter where. It will break the crazy dance. Yes, it's a bug in the tracking algorithm.

3. Toad Village. Your way to Shinwiki goes through a small water pool near the entrance to the village. Sometimes, a villager succeeds to enter the pool before you reach it. The villager cannot be pushed out of your way and blocks your way forward. One solution is killing the villager but you have to do it with a single blow - otherwise, you raise an alarm.
A peaceful solution is simple: run to the pool, you will always be there sooner than the villager. But you must know where to run. Therefore, save the game before entering the village. Enter the village and search the way to Shinwiki. If you find a villager in the pool then restart and run there next time.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:55 AM   #9
Loudhy
Drizzt Do'Urden

Hi Radek,

what happens after the alarm rises ? I know it's a little bit early for spoiling but if the party only has to fight and gain exp : Why not ?

In W8 you sometime had to fight after an alarm but you could still solve the game.

[ 07-07-2004, 03:59 AM: Message edited by: Loudhy ]
Old 07-07-2004, 08:01 AM   #10
Radek
Red Dragon

You'll become a "bad Ukabu". You'll be attacked by all villagers, including Shinwiki, so that the Shinwiki quest is lost. Well, neither the quest nor the quest reward is essential for anything later in the game.