Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2005, 12:35 AM   #11
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by Orbost:
quote:
Originally posted by Absynthe:
Pretty much so, Lady Sedai. The Sun U.K. is a widely read paper in Britain and pretty espectable in re their sources.
Weeelllll....the British Sun is certainly no National Enquirer, but to call it 'pretty respectable' is rather generous. To many Brits (myself included) its mostly associated with celebrity gossip, salacious sex stories, right-wing nationalism, bigotry and of course, topless women on page 3. In British journalism terms, it's pretty much the gutter-press.

Of course, it is also (i believe) the most widely read British tabloid - so I guess my opiniosn are not shared by everyone!
[/QUOTE]You're dead on that they publish a lot of garbage, but their stories aren't as fantastical as the "Bat-boy buggers world's oldest carp" stuff that the other Sun puts out. The stories themselves aren't necessarily respectable in content, but the sources are at least on this planet...
Of course, I've never read it beyond page four, so I can't speak from direct experience... [img]smile.gif[/img]

(why don't I ever see my mistakes until I hit 'post reply'?)

[ 02-15-2005, 12:36 AM: Message edited by: Absynthe ]
Old 02-15-2005, 07:53 AM   #12
Lady Sedai
Banned User

And therein, Absynthe, lies the rub...the links provided weren't *giving* any sources, the briefest bit of story and they seemed rather outrageous.

So I *do* hope I'm forgiven for "jumping to conclusions" on the validity of the stories, but I'm quite jaded about anything that seems A) too good to be true or B) too incredible to be true until I can verify it via other means.

Plus, it seems I *wasn't* so "off the mark" on the nature of Britain's Sun after all...it *is* quite similar to our tabloid, just not *quite* as "sensational".
Lady Sedai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 08:29 AM   #13
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

As far as I know, the British Sun has 'outrageous' headlines, but as Absynthe pointed out several times, they are real (not weird, made up stuff), just the sort of stuff to grab attention. Everything I've ever heard about them says they go for the sensational BUT their sources are legit.

I remember some story about the royals that had everyone up in arms and screaming to sue the paper but it turns out that because so many people KNOW the tabloid is careful about it's source material, they were sure it wouldn't lose and the story had to be true, if overblown for the hype.

So,I might take things with a tiny grain of salt but I'd not assume they were the sort of crazy "I slept with an alien and Dick Clark is our love child!" sort of trash the US rag does! LOL
Old 02-15-2005, 08:33 AM   #14
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Lady Sedai, while I can understand the mixup (both publications having the same name! [img]smile.gif[/img] ) maybe it would be wiser not to jump in and call something a hoax right away,or at least not before you have conclusive evidence or something more to go on? Just a thought!
Old 02-15-2005, 09:16 AM   #15
Lady Sedai
Banned User

Yeah...I realized that Cloudy.

Next time, I'll remember to say something more like "I wonder if this is a hoax". I never intended it to look like I was berating Dace, just questioning the publication and it's stories.

But I can see where that might be misunderstood. Thus my attempt to explain myself a bit.
Lady Sedai is offline   Reply With Quote