Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-23-2001, 09:49 AM   #1
Istaron
Banned User

Were any of you disappointed with the things that comes with the game?
The main reason I buy original copies of a game is not so the programmers shall get some extra dimes. It is basicly because I can look at the cool box, I can read about all the awsome things in the booklet, and so it goes...

When I bought BG1, I was VERY happy. One could read about spells, items, but not least, about places, groups and persons. I also got a map over the Baldurs Gate-area.

In BG2... the booklet had an ugly frontpage and was boring. A small note about some of the groups and spell-descriptions was all that was left from the beside-things I enjoyed BG1. Insted of power people one might encounter, the NPCs were described. I don't need that, I can read about them ingame.
A map of amn followed, an ugly one that looked the same as the one in the game. The only thing I liked was the poster of Irenicus, the T-shirt (yes, I have the collectors-ed) and concept-art on the bonus-cd.

Am I the only one disappointed with the "side-things" in BG2?

------------------
We call him Bobby Corwen
Old 09-23-2001, 10:06 AM   #2
Tancred
White Dragon

Yes... I felt the same way as you do when I first opened my copy of BG2. I still do, in fact. Mind you, BG2 is a lot more of an 'interactive' world than BG1 - Amn 'seems' more real because of all the little chance encounters and pointless yet fun and on occasion informative touches here and there.
Old 09-23-2001, 04:53 PM   #3
Sorcerer Alex

I much prefer BG II! I can't see any way in which BG I is better. I agree with Tancred that Amn is so real and atmospheric. BG I was just 'go to mines, go to bandit camp' etc etc.... so much more linear and boring IMHO

------------------

Old 09-24-2001, 03:49 AM   #4
Zbyszek

Quote:
Originally posted by Sorcerer Alex:
I much prefer BG II! I can't see any way in which BG I is better. I agree with Tancred that Amn is so real and atmospheric. BG I was just 'go to mines, go to bandit camp' etc etc.... so much more linear and boring IMHO

Hmm? BG2 is the same: get out of dungeon, and you lost Imoen, you enter Slums and you instantly know what to do - get money. You collected money - and they find you and tell you what to do, you go to Asylum ... There is only one main possible stream of evens. BG1 and BG2 are just games - the same engine, the same Bhaal and his spawns. BG2 was produced later and its the only reason it is better. And is LINEAR too.