Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Your favourite gaming system(Roleplaying, not console/PC, etc.)
2nd edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 7 15.56%
3rd edition Dungeons and Dragons 6 13.33%
1st edition Dungeons and Dragons 16 35.56%
GURPS 2 4.44%
RIFTS 3 6.67%
Unisystem(All Flesh Must Be Eaten, etc.) 7 15.56%
Alternity 1 2.22%
Freeform(Or some sort of diceless) 2 4.44%
Other(Please enlighten us as to your inferior choice) 1 2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2007, 04:44 PM   #1
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Now that we've established you're all nerds, we can start gauging what sort of nerds...
PurpleXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:02 PM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I really liked the Shadowrun setting. Cybertech, magic, big guns, corporate intrigue. It was great.

I also liked the health system better. I always thought the D&D health system was ridiculous. Their justification is that as you get more trained, you get better at avoiding damage, when you were level 1 that sword nearly cut you in two, now that you're level 20 you almost got away in time and only got a scratch. Yeah right. Why can you fall from a 10 floor tower and survive then? Why can you survive Dragon's Breath or a fireball? It has to be the less realistic system I have ever seen.

[ 01-05-2007, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 01-05-2007, 05:17 PM   #3
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Well, not all systems aim for realism. D&D already has dragons and magic, they're going for heroic, not realistic. Check out legendary heroes like Achilles, Hercules and King Arthur, how many foes did they slay without taking fatal wounds?

I don't try to justify it, I just roll with it.

Unisystem for me, though, abstract yet realistic health system. One or two shots can put you down, but there are no tables and equations for calculating the size of every single exit hole.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:20 PM   #4
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Free form, but not dice less. A compendium of all 1-3 plus "Unearthed Arcana" AD&D editions, and some other free forms thrown in for 'swirlies' and grasshoppers.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:28 PM   #5
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Please. I'm a geek.

As for my die preference... It cannot be expressed in Euclidian numbers and shapes, thank you very much.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:30 PM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by PurpleXVI:
Well, not all systems aim for realism. D&D already has dragons and magic, they're going for heroic, not realistic. Check out legendary heroes like Achilles, Hercules and King Arthur, how many foes did they slay without taking fatal wounds?

I don't try to justify it, I just roll with it.

Unisystem for me, though, abstract yet realistic health system. One or two shots can put you down, but there are no tables and equations for calculating the size of every single exit hole.
Shadowrun has dragons that own megacorporations, big trolls with cyberimplants, all the kind of big guns you could dream of, it has magic, crazy vehicles more armed than a tank, it got combat drones etc. It's quite epic in it's own way, but it has realistic health. It's one thing to avoid getting hit, but when you get hit you shouldn't be able to survive things that should logically kill someone.

[ 01-05-2007, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:32 PM   #7
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:
Please. I'm a geek.

As for my die preference... It cannot be expressed in Euclidian numbers and shapes, thank you very much.
AHH, but we can all dreamily guess what your die form is!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:35 PM   #8
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

It's a bit easier to explain away a sword-blow or whack from a mace as not having killed you than it is a bullet. The bullet blows right through muscle and tissue if it hits, a mace or sword might only result in a bruise, maybe you got hit with the flat of the sword, or your platemail took most of the impact, maybe you weren't actually hit but had to dive out of the way and when you managed to hit something hard with part of your body while doing so.

I was never much for mixing fantasy and sci-fi myself.

And I'm not defending D&D's hit point system as being the end all of health system, but when the setting itself is already insanely unrealistic, it's hardly detracting from the game that the hit point system is as well.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:44 PM   #9
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Like I said, you can explain away getting hit by melee weapons, but what about surviving sure death situation like crazy falls, being in the middle of a fireball, getting chewed by a dragon, etc.

Or how about getting stabbed by a dagger? It would take something like 100-200 dagger stab to kill a level 20 fighter. Being experienced should only allow you to avoid getting hurt, it shouldn't make you some sort of superhuman that can survive anything...

[ 01-05-2007, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:49 PM   #10
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Well, here's the thing, a 20th-level fighter is barely even mortal any longer, that's even the way they describe it. Most people in society are just 0th level, a few are first level, it'd take, starting at 1st level, usually years of gaming to get to even 10th level unless your DM is absurdly free with XP. A 20th-level character is a demi-God. The Chosen of most Gods are 20th level, even the avatars of some weaker Gods are.

And it would be a bit ridiculous if such creatures couldn't survive a bit more than a dagger to the gut.

The suggestion in all of the rulebooks is that around level 9, the character is so mighty that standard fights really just don't hold any purpose, and he should retire to control a fortress or some such. Just become a wealthy lord of some sort.