Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 01-11-2007, 02:59 PM   #11
NewbietoRPGs
Drow Warrior

Well, I signed up over at Barnes and Nobel to find out when I can be on the pre order list. As soon as I hear something I'll post it.
NewbietoRPGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:53 PM   #12
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by NewbietoRPGs:
IMO the movies are getting farther and farther off of the books as of late. It seems as though they don't care as much about being accurate as they did in the first one.
<font color=skyblue>Different directors.</font>
Old 01-13-2007, 01:34 PM   #13
uss
20th Level Warrior

Different directors indeed. Nevertheless, while Harry Potter 1-2 stay quite true to the books, 3 changes some elements (such as making Hermione more important to the plot whereas reducing Ron to comic relief) and 4 is a director's unique portrayal of the story mixed with his apparent urge to make the story awkwardly more Hollywood-like to entertain newcomers. Well, that's how it seems to me, anyway. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

There's just one detail that bothers me throughout all the movies. It's very debatable though. I'd like to know what you think.

It's Dumbledore. His lines of dialogue, his personality, his appearance, his everything. In the books, he seemed to be very different. In my portrayal, he was always calm and pragmatic, always smiling. Also, more youthful and more vivid: more silver in his gray hair and more majestic clothes as opposed to the old gray robes.

Maybe it's just me though. I always like to envision characters as dramatical as possible and I've always had a thing for dandies ( and I mean that in a totally hetero fashion, mind you [img]tongue.gif[/img] ).

In any case, looking greatly forward to HP 7!

[ 01-13-2007, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: uss ]
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 05:20 PM   #14
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

<font color=skyblue>uss, I can easily agree with everything you said, and you said it plainly enough that I don't have to restate anything. </font>
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:51 AM   #15
Target
Red Dragon

Here is some Potter news, does contain spoilers for the 5 book/film if you've not read it.

Potter V Has More Isaacs

Jason Isaacs, who plays Lucius Malfoy in the Harry Potter film franchise, told SCI FI Wire that he'll have a lot more to do in the upcoming fifth film, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, including (spoiler!) a wand-to-wand fight with Sirius Black (Gary Oldman). "I had virtually nothing to do in number four," Isaacs said in an interview at the Television Critics Association winter press tour in Pasadena, Calif., where he was promoting his upcoming BBC America miniseries The State Within. "In fact, when there's nothing to do like that, and they say, 'Do you want to come in for a couple of weeks?' you go, 'Well, I'm busy. Oh, God. All right.' Because the thought that somebody else might wear my wig is just too painful. But I have a little bit more to do in this."

Isaacs' character is the sinister father of Harry Potter's rival at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Draco Malfoy. In the fifth book, the elder Malfoy is revealed as a Death Eater, one of the followers of the evil Lord Voldemort.

Isaacs said that the fifth film will include a harrowing showdown between his character and Harry's godfather, Sirius Black. "I get to have a wand battle with Gary Oldman, possibly my favorite actor in the universe," Isaacs said. "We get to play around like two 10-year-olds. And with kind of unlimited sci-fi imagination. It's fun. We just go, 'Well, how about if I ... .' And anything you finish that sentence with, they go, 'Yeah, OK. You can do that.' So it was magnificent."

The character does not appear in the sixth book, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, but Isaacs said he recently had an opportunity to meet author J.K. Rowling and appealed to her to include him in the seventh and final book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, due this year, possibly July. "I fell to my knees and begged," he joked. "It didn't do any good. I'm sure she doesn't need plot ideas from me. But I made my point. We'll see. Like everybody else, I'm holding my breath to July to see what's in there. I just want to bust out of prison, that's all. I don't want to stay in Azkaban most of my life." Order of the Phoenix opens July 13.

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:48 AM   #16
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

<font color=skyblue>The actor of the movie based on the book is telling the author of the book how to draw up the pre-script foundation.

Grr..</font>
Old 01-20-2007, 09:44 PM   #17
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
<font color=skyblue>uss, I can easily agree with everything you said, and you said it plainly enough that I don't have to restate anything. </font>
That's really cool to know. [img]smile.gif[/img] I was beginning to think I'm the only one who thinks like that.

Regarding Jason Isaacs, I'm happy there going to be more of him. In my opinion, Lucius Malfoy was a very typical villain in the book, whereas when Isaacs played him, his vainly behaviour and frame of thought left a more pleasantly memorable impression.

As for his attempts to influence Rowling, I doubt they would bear fruit. Rowling is known to be secretive and self-confident about anything she does to the Harry Potter story and universe. After seeing an interview with her, it seems sure that that's the case here, too.
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:49 PM   #18
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Target:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Luvian:
Well I think at the end of book 6 there's tons of stuff that still need to happen to close up the series, and I'm not sure it can fit in one book and not feel rushed. Plus will Harry still have school?
I agree there is a lot to finish it correctly, but she does write huge books so it all might just fit in...of course it might make the movie version about 5 hours long!! </font>[/QUOTE]By my rough counts...

Book 1: 300 pages
Book 2: 350
Book 3: 550
Book 4: 750
Book 5: 650
Book 6: my daughter has it somewhere...

I think she'll find time and space to close up loose ends...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:53 AM   #19
Target
Red Dragon

I hope she does, if not there will be a lot of unhappy fans out there!!
Of course she might leave a thread loose for another book...

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 06:01 PM   #20
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Concerning her, who can tell? Maybe she'll expand it to a whole universe... And have different stories about different characters.

I hope not, but it's a possibility.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote