Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-15-2004, 12:09 PM   #1
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

I warn you that you may find this story disturbing. I did. When you think of hot springs you think of curiously steaming pools of water, but rarely think of the possible dangers involved. This story is about a stupidly brave man who tried to rescue a dog and payed for it with his life. One thing to certainly take into account if visiting a park with hot springs is to not take any pets or small children with you. They can be deadly.

Click here for the story.
Story
Old 10-15-2004, 12:13 PM   #2
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Bloody hell! That is a sad story. I can't believe the guy sounded so calm afterwards though...
Old 10-15-2004, 12:16 PM   #3
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Ouuuccch! [img]graemlins/awcrap.gif[/img] ... That churned my stomach a bit...

I guess when you love an animal so much, you can't help acting before thinking. What surprised me most is that one man got second degree burns just for standing in it for a few seconds... later resulting in third degree burns, with some skin coming off [img]graemlins/1puke.gif[/img]

You'd have thought that dogs, intelligent creatures, may be able to sense that the steam rising from the spring was hot... I guess it just jumped in too quickly.

I agree - terrible story. [img]graemlins/verysad.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2004, 12:19 PM   #4
Spirits forever

oh..wow...that's not good ~_~ll

Old 10-15-2004, 02:19 PM   #5
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

One has to wonder if he was drunk at the time. Personally, I like to keep a healthy distance from very hot things. Extremely hot liquids such as boiling water or hot oil make me nervous. Red hot things such as liquid steel or magma terrify me.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:30 PM   #6
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Yup, lava scares the living crap out of me. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I just keep imagining putting my hand in lava, taking it out, and it's not there anymore. *shudders*

Suffocation and heat are my two big "no-no's" when it comes to my fear of pain... and this guy got both of them....
Old 10-15-2004, 02:40 PM   #7
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by RoSs_bg2_rox:
Bloody hell! That is a sad story. I can't believe the guy sounded so calm afterwards though...
that is called shock, which is the way a body protects itself if it is severly injured. also, being third degree burns, he probably did not feel much of it, and was unsure how bad it was. it is a very sad story and I know alot of people who would probably jump n before thinking of their own well-being.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:53 PM   #8
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

That's true Stormy. After second degree burns, nerve endings are destroyed. That means no pain or any other sensation from the skin. His entire body was "nerve dead" by that time. Maybe he didn't realize the water was boiling hot? Perhaps he equated the temperature with that of a dry sauna? It's not commonly known, but the reason you freeze to death in water quicker is the same reason it will burn you quicker. Air is a poor conductor of heat, but water is a very good one. It transfers heat to and from your body much quicker than air. So you could withstand a 160F dry sauna for a lot longer than a 160F bath.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:54 PM   #9
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormymystic:
I know alot of people who would probably jump n before thinking of their own well-being.
Of course... for a loved one, or a shipmate.

But a dog?
Old 10-15-2004, 03:02 PM   #10
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Woah.
Brave, but slightly stupid.
How much must that have hurt?

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke