Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2006, 11:38 PM   #21
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Q'alooaith:
My thoughts?

You've made a hell of a lot of assumptions, and you are walking towards the fine line of racism.

that's what I think.
An assumption is accepting a statement as true without proof.

I walked behind a girl that had dreads before, and she smelled so bad that I had to stop walking a for a few steps and let her get ahead of me so I could breathe. She is the only person I have ever been so close to as to smell the dreadlocks, and so I associated that experience with what friends have told me in the past of their own experiences. Therefore, I feel justified that my statement was not merely an assumption because I have proof to support my claim.

I also mentioned in my post that I understand that in today's dread-wearing culture, there are ways to clean them that before did not exist or whatever the reason, and so I could "ASSUME" that people are cleaner now than they ever have been. That IS an assumption because I have no proof to support the idea that they are cleaner.

I said that today's society still does not accept Dreadlock-wearing people as "clean" and comfortable to be around because that is based off of proof that people in my state do not accept them as people they want to be near, and that dreadlock-wearing people have a harder time because of the choice they make to wear them. This is not an assumption, because it is based off of fact of where I live.

I also know that it is fact and not assumption that white people cannot claim that wearing dreads is a cultural statement. That's because I am white, (though I have enough Cherokee indian in me that other indigenous people can tell I have indigenous ancestry just by looking at me...wierd, huh?).

So you came within an inch of calling me racist, but from what facts do you make that claim? Or is your statement an ASSUMPTION?
Old 12-12-2006, 05:00 AM   #22
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

Shall I point out that eyewitness testomony is so unreliable that (in the uk) you can't be convicted on it alone?

He could be wearing dreads because his family does, and he's just the odd one out that doesn't look even slightly of colour. My boyfriend is quarter cast, his father half. They are both as pale as me.

Could be you didn't see a white person, you saw someone who just hit one end of the genetic lottery instead of the other.

Yes I almost called you racist, because from my experience people who make the kind of statments you made will make racist jokes at partys, will be uncomfortable talking to someone a diffrent shade of grey to your own, and generaly not be a nice individual, and are generaly racist, but just don't do anything to prove it in day to day life.

That's from my experience, I have proof in my own mind to support my statments, just as much as yourself at least.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:43 AM   #23
Bithron
Baaz Draconian

I consider myself a rascist, but I choose not to show it when it is inappropriate. I just think what I think and that's how it will be.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:48 AM   #24
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I think the term racism is being thrown around too much here. Even if someone actually went ahead and made an automatic (and unfair) judgement on someone because of their hairstyle it isn't racism anyway. Yes, if that happens it's a form of discrimination but it is about hair, not skin, race.

I don't feel that's happening here anyway, but just people's opinions being presented based on the facts that they know about managing this hairstyle. It is a simple thing yet people are throwing in labels when there's no need.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:13 PM   #25
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Shall I point out that eyewitness testomony is so unreliable that (in the uk) you can't be convicted on it alone?
Shall I point out that I live in the US, where US juries will convict on eyewitness testimony alone, the majority of the time?

I know this because I just passed a course in Psychology and the Law this semester at UNCG.

(And our textbook was the April 2006 edition. I paid $114.00 new for the stupid thing and only got back $37.00 on buyback from the bookstore, even though my book was in great condition. = Angry!).

[ 12-12-2006, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 12-12-2006, 01:57 PM   #26
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I've never noticed any really stinky dreadlocked people, although I'm sure that doesn't mean they don't exist. Lazy people come with all hair styles...
I will say that in my experience, the first person to start throwing "racism" into the conversation is usually the worst one in the bunch. This is from my own personal experience. I have seen it a lot, both out here in the world, when I could get there, and from my time in the Corrections system here in Kansas. Reading through Larry's initial post, and the subsequent discussion, the first thing that brought racism to mind was the post that actually said it, and then it was a "holy crap, where did that come from" kinda thing.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:50 PM   #27
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
quote:
Shall I point out that I live in the US, where US juries will convict on eyewitness testimony alone, the majority of the time? [/QUOTE]Yup, and you can see where that leads, three people say you've shot a man, there are no other witnesses, there is a body, there is no gun, and you have no albi...

Three people saying they saw with their own eyes you shoot a man dead, a dead body, and no one sticking up for you, let's throw in something extra, you had an argument with the person in question a few days earlier, many people saw, you where angry, when questioned leading questions are used, the witnesses are promted by such questions into saying you where red with rage. They've seen the news, they want to keep you away from their familys, so they remember clearly you threatening the victim with harm.

Ooooh, larry's now facing a possibly death penality depending which state the crime was commited in.

Welcome to the world of eyewitness testomy.

Enjoy

[img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2006, 05:54 PM   #28
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
Weird, I'm on near daily occassion surrounded by dread-locked people and none of them stink. I know this well, since I quit smoking in August I can and do smell like I have never before.

My good friend has long red dreaded hair and he simply does not stink. He showers and cleans his hair nearly everyday every day or so. Know him for years, worked with him everyday, and he has never once stank.
I haven't met a dreadlocked person yet that didn't stink.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:00 PM   #29
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:

Yup, and you can see where that leads, three people say you've shot a man, there are no other witnesses, there is a body, there is no gun, and you have no albi...

Three people saying they saw with their own eyes you shoot a man dead, a dead body, and no one sticking up for you, let's throw in something extra, you had an argument with the person in question a few days earlier, many people saw, you where angry, when questioned leading questions are used, the witnesses are promted by such questions into saying you where red with rage. They've seen the news, they want to keep you away from their familys, so they remember clearly you threatening the victim with harm.

Ooooh, larry's now facing a possibly death penality depending which state the crime was commited in.

Welcome to the world of eyewitness testomy.

Enjoy

[img]tongue.gif[/img]
Wait,,,you've lost me.

What does this have to do with me seeing a guy with dreadlocks trying to get a job? I do not see your connection to a conviction of murder.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:14 PM   #30
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

There are a lot of people with dreadlocks here on campus, and I haven't noticed any of them smelling at all. I have met several peope who do smell, but that's because they don't shower regularly.