Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2006, 12:20 PM   #21
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

The very basics of his theory stand up though.

As in, take a balloon wrapped in a thin sheet of paper, blow it up some more and watch the paper tear.

A better example would be a balloon with a strong electromagnet inside, and a thin sheet of magnetic matieral covering the ouside, but not otherwise anchored to the balloon.

Blow up the balloon and the covering sheet would rip, and as the balloon got bigger and the curve changed the sheets would mound up in places.

A theory does not have to follow any laws if it is challenging them in part or full.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:42 PM   #22
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I've lost my test notes because this was a few weeks ago that I had this test, but the man who first discovered Tectonic Plate Movement (and is actually given credit for it by geologists) was a German meteorologist...a weather man. He was laughed out of the meeting when he proposed his idea because at the time, he could not prove "how" the plates were moving.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:31 PM   #23
Link
Jack Burton

I don't think you guys understand what I'm trying to say: there's a difference between just a theory (as in; a hunch, a thought, an idea) and a scientific theory (which, as I stated above needs to follow a certain strict set of rules before it can call itself a theory).
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:05 PM   #24
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
I don't think you guys understand what I'm trying to say: there's a difference between just a theory (as in; a hunch, a thought, an idea) and a scientific theory (which, as I stated above needs to follow a certain strict set of rules before it can call itself a theory).
No need to defend yourself...We all understand the difference you're trying to illustrate because we've all heard it before at least by high school...except for whatever middle-school-aged kids that might be interested in this thread.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:18 PM   #25
Lucern
Quintesson

I'd say Link has an interesting point on this one. Intelligent Design advocates in the US play on public misconceptions of what a scientific theory is when they say, over and over again, "Evolution is just a theory."

In fact, a Pennsylvania school district was struck down in its attempt to have a biology classroom disclaimer that said 'Evolution is just a theory' and pointed to a creationist textbook.

These guys are at least posing questions about the physical realm. We have a hypothesis, so let's have some testing
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:24 PM   #26
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
quote:
No need to defend yourself...We all understand the difference you're trying to illustrate because we've all heard it before at least by high school...except for whatever middle-school-aged kids that might be interested in this thread. [/QUOTE]I want to be one of those middle school kids!!! You think it's too late?
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:56 PM   #27
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by robertthebard:
quote:
quote:
No need to defend yourself...We all understand the difference you're trying to illustrate because we've all heard it before at least by high school...except for whatever middle-school-aged kids that might be interested in this thread. [/QUOTE]I want to be one of those middle school kids!!! You think it's too late? [/QUOTE]You mean you're not?
Old 03-18-2006, 06:41 PM   #28
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by robertthebard:
quote:
quote:
No need to defend yourself...We all understand the difference you're trying to illustrate because we've all heard it before at least by high school...except for whatever middle-school-aged kids that might be interested in this thread. [/QUOTE]I want to be one of those middle school kids!!! You think it's too late? [/QUOTE]You mean you're not? [/QUOTE]Er, no, not by a long shot. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to be though.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote