Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-25-2004, 03:50 AM   #1
Sigmar
Unicorn

Arrow

Was anyone else slightly let down by Eminem's latest album? Compared to the incredible "Marshall Mathers LP" and "The Eminem Show" it was a bit, hit and miss.

He has a lot of good songs in it, but some the ones that made the cut are plain, old turkeys. Doesn't flow well at all IMO.

"Curtain's up"- Just a (boring) intro, I like the way the crowd chants "EM-A-NEM"
"Evil Deeds"-Some of my friends found the way he keeps repeating words in this track to be annoying, and the chorus to be off-key (or whatver), but personally I like it, and it's a good opening track for this album. 3/5

"Never Enough"- Probably one of the better tracks of the album IMO (even though it's a bit short). Nate Dogg's chorus is great (as usual) and 50 Cent flow's suprisingly well here, Eminem's alright here. 4/5

"Yellow Brick Road"- The first time in the track where if feels like Eminem is actually being "real". Reminds me of his "8 Mile" soundtrack stuff which I really liked. Good stuff. 4/5

"Like Toy Soldiers"- Suitably dramatic and stuff, like most of the last half of "The Eminem Show". Shame there wasn't more tracks like this in the album. 3/5

"Mosh"-Oh boy. You'll listen to it once, hear his "anti-Bush" message, and avoid the boring lyrics and beat in the future whenever possible. The first Skip (avoid) track. 2/5

"Puke"- ? Eminem wrote this?!? The chorus and beat sucks, the rest of the song is a boring "I hate you Kim" song. The puking doesn't help either. Skip

"My 1st Single"-I can see why this was going to be his first single, the beat is really good. He could have rapped about the Antique dealing with this beat, and it would still have been good. The lyrics in this song are alright, but again,it doesn't feel like he's trying. 3/5

"Paul"- I'm happy Michael Jackson is unhappy, just a skit though.

"Rain Man"- If he sets out to show he can rap about essentially nothing and still create an alright track, he's done it with this track. Unlikely you'll hear it more than once though. 3/5 Skip

"Big Weenie"-Oh good God. What have you done to Eminem, and where are you keeping his body? The weakest put-down track I've ever heard him release. He does flow alright in this song, he's an incredible rapper, but he's working with horrible lyrics. 2/5 Skip

"Em calls Paul"-SKIP

"Just lose it"-Yes, perhaps it is cheesy like every other previous cheesy song he's released (My name is, The Real Slim Shady, Without me), it has an annoying Pee-wee-Herman laugh every two seconds, but God help me I like it. Call it a guilty pleasure, I'm just waiting for a killer remix *dials Little John, DJ Green Lantern and Westwood simultaneously* 4/5

"Ass like that"-For some reason, Eminem rapping about Girl's "badunkadunks" is just....wrong...his middle eastern accent makes this bearable...the first time. Skip

"Spend some time"- Very good, Obie Trice is incredible here, the chorus..."suitably dope" and Eminem sounds good here. Stat Quo sounds good too, reminds me of Bugz a lot. 50 Cent wraps up the nice package, good stuff.
4/5

"Mockingbird"-Another "real" song, like he actually tried here, I like his depressing, slow and emotion filled songs. So I like this one too, it just sounds right, like this is what he should have been delivering throughout.

"Crazy in Love"- The chorus...incredible, the beat amazing....Eminem...bored.
"What are you talking about? What the hell do you know?" My opinion here, but
I feel he uses the same monotonous voice, and I can picture Dre in the background saying "One more time, WITH FEELING". 3/5

"One Shot 2 Shot"- "What, we've got a rubbish song leftover from the rubbish D-12 World album? Let's stick it in my new album." Skip 2/5

"Final thought"-Nice build up to the impressive outro.

"Encore"-YYYYYEEEEEESSSSSSSSS This is what the album needed, more "Dre & Eminem" who work together almost as well as "Redman and Method Man". The chorus is nice enough, and 50 compliments Eminem and Dre vocals very nicely. Shame this track just reminds you how good these people can be. *Remix please* 4/5

----------
Extra CD:

"We as Americans"-Why this didn't make the cut unlike some of the turkneys that snuck in is a mystery. A very good track, Eminem flows well, yadda yadda yadda, good Eminem song. 4/5

"Love you more"-Again, better than "Puke" and other turkeys in every way. 4/5

"Ricky Ticky Tock"-Not the best song ever made, but hell, it's still better than a few other tracks on the Album. 3/5
---------------------

Verdict- Go back to the drawing room you lyrical genius, and throw out another incredible Album next time. "Encore" just tarnishes his personal record.

What do you think?

[ 11-25-2004, 03:57 AM: Message edited by: Sigmar ]
Old 11-25-2004, 04:14 AM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
What do i think ? I think Eminem sucks.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:18 AM   #3
Sigmar
Unicorn

Old 11-25-2004, 05:36 AM   #4
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I agree with Johnny, besides I can never find any Eminem albums on sale here.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:56 AM   #5
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

shouldn't this be in the books movies and entertainment section? sorry but i have to agree, as much as i used to listen to him, i have changed and couldn't care less.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:20 AM   #6
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

i still like eminem [img]smile.gif[/img] . i like some of his songs of course there is a limit in listening to his songs over and over [img]tongue.gif[/img] .

i didnt know he released a new album. ill check it out. thanks for telling!

Catch me if you can..
Old 11-25-2004, 11:23 AM   #7
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Is that looking at it from an alchie's point of view, or a knowledgable rap fan's? Although he's a prick as a person and his voice is not that good for rap, basing it on 10 years of intensive rap listening, I can say that (relatively - of course, everything's relative, but in this case, relative to all other rappers) he has some amazing skills and lyrics and songs. So I think your evaluation sucks [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Haven't heard this new album, but everyone says it's cheesy so I don't think I'll bother at all. Although I've heard Mosh and the lyrics are quite good I think, although that music is not good enough to listen to it repeatedly.

Overall, everyone seems to agree that he's past his best and on his way down now. Time to end career, unless he can turn it around like some have done in the past, like Nas. Besides, he's "sold out" a few times already [img]tongue.gif[/img] so he can't really go back to being hard core.

[ 11-25-2004, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 11-25-2004, 11:44 AM   #8
Sigmar
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
quote:
Is that looking at it from an alchie's point of view, or a knowledgable rap fan's? Although he's a prick as a person and his voice is not that good for rap, basing it on 10 years of intensive rap listening, I can say that (relatively - of course, everything's relative, but in this case, relative to all other rappers) he has some amazing skills and lyrics and songs. So I think your evaluation sucks [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Haven't heard this new album, but everyone says it's cheesy so I don't think I'll bother at all. Although I've heard Mosh and the lyrics are quite good I think, although that music is not good enough to listen to it repeatedly.

Overall, everyone seems to agree that he's past his best and on his way down now. Time to end career, unless he can turn it around like some have done in the past, like Nas. Besides, he's "sold out" a few times already [img]tongue.gif[/img] so he can't really go back to being hard core.
[/QUOTE]Nas? Pfff.

The last and only (albeit EXTREMELY) good thing he did was "Illmatic".

I agree with your comments on Eminem, btw. He's past his sell by date I think, it seems like in "Encore" he was trying to emphasise how much of a living legend he is "Beside Jay-Z", clinging on to glory without showing why he deserves it!
Old 11-25-2004, 12:40 PM   #9
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
quote:

[/QUOTE]Why are you always looking for a deeper explaination, i just think he sucks, no more, no less, that's the whole story. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] And it's not because i don't like rap, you know i do, except not him.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:43 PM   #10
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Sigmar, you're sounding like masses, seems like you're jumping on the bandwagon blindly shouting about how good Illmatic was and nothing else of Nas's. I agree that Illmatic has some great rhyming, but the beats are boring - there are some much better ones on his later albums. Stillmatic was a good album, with some good lyrics AND beats. God's Son has some brilliant songs. I Am has good songs, and even Nastradamus has some real gems, such as "Last Words". People don't often mention that album, but I love this verse from Last Words:, brilliant metaphors, similes...poetry [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'ma prison cell six by nine
Livin hell stone wall metal bars for the gods in jail
My nickname the can, the slammer, the big house
I'm the place many fear cause there's no way out
I take the sun away put misery instead
When you wit me most folks consider you dead
I saw too many inmates fallin apart
Call for the guards to let them out at night when it's dark
Convicts think they alone but if they listen close
They can hear me groan touch the wall feel my pulse
All the pictures you put up is stuck to my skin
I hear ya prayers (even when ya whisperin)
I make it hotter in the summer colder in the winter
If the court paroal ya then another con enters
No remorse for your tears I seen em too often
When you cry I make you feel alive inside a coffin
Watch you when you eat play with you mind when you sleep
Make you dream that you free then make you wake up to me
Face to face with a cage no matter your age
I can shatter you turn you into a savage in rage
Change ya life that's if you get a chance to get out
Cause only you and I know what sufferings about
Yo it's stunning when bed sheets become your woman
And I'm the one that gotcha weapons when the beef is comming
Maybe one day I'll open up my arms to release you
You'll always be my property nigga stay legal

sorry, the person who typed that, doesn't know what commas are [img]tongue.gif[/img]
anyway, errr...back to Eminem

Johnny - ok fair enough , I didn't know you liked rap - but there are some such BRILLIANT songs of Eminem's (among a load of crap ones of course ) that I can't see how anyone can not like them, so you must like SOME Eminem songs - have you heard "Till I Collapse", for example?

[ 11-25-2004, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray