Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 06-11-2008, 08:13 PM   #101
Shadow Stranger

Default Re: Tech Tips (game not working? Read this!)

It really is simple, you don't even need to know anything about programming. I have frequently found it useful in other programs. If you tried it you would soon pick it up, just download Hexplorer.
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:09 PM   #102
IMore
Welcomed New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_john View Post
but at no point can I get my party to fight! Also, when I go to the village gates and click on it, nothing happens. I choose 'use' and click, and still nothing!
Hi there,

I have exactly the same problem. After installing the patch and applying the town-avi files I was able to run W&W under Vista (Business 32, Admin mode) step into the inn an create my party. But since I get out of the town, I do NOT get in again! - The cursor icon never changes to that one I would expect when moving the mouse over the town gate (from outside of the town: in the "real 3D world". Also, I cannot attack any monsters - again because of the mouse cursor not changing.

Can anyone help?
IMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:23 PM   #103
IMore
Welcomed New User

As I found out, the problem must have been the 3D acceleration. In software mode, the mouse cursor works fine.
IMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:17 PM   #104
uk_john
Dungeon Master

Imore in software mode my game crashes at start, so do you mean turning of acceleration in OS, or in the game options?
uk_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:21 AM   #105
GawainBS
Welcomed New User

Hello

First time posting here.
I just bought W&W from the Explosiv-series. The game installs just fine. However... I can't get it to run. I doubleclik the shortcut, screen goes black, I get this coloured hourglass, and then I get a memory-issue. (See screenshot.) I already checked the Win95 compatibility.
I also read through this thread, but most issues deal with problems you get once the game is already running, so they aren't of any help yet.
My system is a PIV 1.8 Ghz, 1270 MB RAM, Gforce6200 256 MB RAM and WinXP SP2.

Can someone help me get this running? I would really like to play this game.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WWerrors.JPG (30.4 KB, 4 views)
GawainBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:10 AM   #106
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I currently run it with Win2k compatibility... Win95 didn't work quite right for me on XP any more. Give that a shot, and make sure you've set everything to the lowest level on the compatibility tab.

The usual suspects (other programs, virtual memory, defrag, etc.) do come into play, but one thing at a time.

Sometimes a different video driver version helps, too...

Keep plugging away!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:37 AM   #107
GawainBS
Welcomed New User

Doesn't change anything, but I didn't hear the error-sound this time. When I CAD-ed, the error was still there.
Could it be that video-codec problem? I assume that the game startup with a video of the manufacturer's/publisher's logo?
I tried some links for those codes in this thread, but they were all dead.

Thanks for the reply, though.
GawainBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:08 AM   #108
uk_john
Dungeon Master

I have got this game working, at reasonable speed and with mouse icon's appearing, etc, by using the Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 SP1. Now granted to use Virtual PC you need an OS disk, and I still had my Win98SE disk, so was able to install it into Virtual PC then install W&W onto the Virtual PC hard drive and away it went - albeit in 640x480.

Don't know how cheaply you can get a Win98SE OS disk, but I can see me needing this setup for other Win95/98 games...! Hope this helps!
Old 11-23-2008, 09:28 AM   #109
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Thanks, UK_John! Would you mind spelling out the steps for those who might come after you and who might not be as technically savvy as you are?
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:53 AM   #110
uk_john
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungleau View Post
Thanks, UK_John! Would you mind spelling out the steps for those who might come after you and who might not be as technically savvy as you are?
Well, to be honest, it's not that technical. Assuming you have a Win98 Operating system disk, you just download and install Virtual PC 2007 SP1 (just google it), you set ram and hard disk space (128mb I recommend and as big a space as you want, I had 3gb free so made a 1gb drive. Big enough for a few older games with their smaller size.

You then put the win98 CD in your drive and double click on the Virtual PC shortcut that's created A black box will open with some numbers, but don't worry. Just click on 'Actions' in the toolbar and click on 'Use Host CD-Rom (x (where 'x' is your CD-Rom letter), then click on File then Restart. Virtual PC will start again and this time you will see options that include Install Win98.

Initially Virtual PC will be set so you have to click inside the virtual screen to put your mouse inside the win98 screen. (to take the cursor out push Right Alt while you move the mouse 'outside' the screen). You can then click on the menu item, or click '1' or just hit Return. Windows 98 will install and stop at various points, just choose the obvious answers. After about three stops (one for the serial number to be entered) Win98 desktop will appear with a few icons. From there on in you need to know about Win98! Will just say right click options are similar, and I would go in and choose 1024x768.

Go to the menu bar (Right ALT and mouse move, remember!) and choose ACTION to make sure the CDROM is still 'attached' to the Virtual PC, put in your W&W CDand it should autoboot. If it doesn't, double click My Computer and choose 'Setup.exe'. Install will start and be just like on XP. Difference is it will take about 20 mins to install!

There is copious info on the web for using Win98, and it's not too different from XP/Vista. There is also lots of help and info within the Virtual PC. Feel free to experiment. And oh yes, on 'File' I think, there is an option to install additional's or something. Install it! One of the major things it does is allow drag and drop of files from your XP PC desktop to the Virtual PC desktop! So you can drag across a win98 compatible zip exe and run it, then drag and drop the various patches for W&W and run them within the Virtual PC after W&W is installed.

Hope this helps!