Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 03-04-2002, 02:44 AM   #1
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

All the brothers of the 3D team are dead, the Fallen Elf Ranger is gone, I fought a Greater Werewolf which later turned into an invulnerable wolf.

How do I solve the mystery?!?!

PS: I fought it ridiculous that I could pickpocket 3 Rings( possibly four, but I forgot one time) of Free Action from Purvis... each time a brother dies, a new Purvis with ring is spawned... now my Mage is the only party member without a Ring of Free Action, so he gets to wear the Boots of Speed.

PS: When you buy scrolls through a scroll case, you get a 20% discount.

PS: I NEED ARROWS!!!! With that Fallen Elf Ranger gone, my Fighter Archer is reduced to hurling a returnable throwing axe +2, but I want arrows, because he can fire those at a rate of 4 per round... ...

PS: How do you get the Mother Priest to return to Kuldahar from Dragon's Eye? After I defeated Yxunomei(sp?), I could not find her, and the temple in Kuldahar still reports her as missing.

PS: Why does the 85% chance to learn spells feels likes 85% chance to fail?!?!

Land of the Psycho-moe
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 03:26 AM   #2
nameless crazy
Dungeon Master

I can only answer you other problems but not the main one (only remember that you can save the ranger......)
-it seems that you can steal a new set of items from Purvis every time you finish a chapter and go back to the town.
-for what I can remember, the ranger is the only source of arrow in HOW. However the ranger COULD be saved but it seems too late to you.....
-the mother will never return, afaik.
-save before you try to learn a spell, since the scrolls are so rare.
nameless crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 08:56 AM   #3
Azred
Drow Priestess

Mother Elgea (is that her name? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img] ) stays in Dragon's Eye, allowing you to come back to her for healing. It is much easier to reach her than going back and forth between Dragon's Eye and Kuldahar.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 09:12 AM   #4
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Spoilers:

Well, the fallen ranger is a creature of the night - so why not try waiting until morning to see if he returns to his cabin? Since the wolf runs away when you attack him, he obviously isn;t dead. Be patient, Emmrich doesn't always return at first light.

Also, maybe the mage in the inn can help you out after you DO talk to Emmrich.

As for the others:
Yeah its pretty ridiculous that you can get all those rings off Purvis. Just consider them easy cash. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Not sure why you have so much trouble with spell failure. Potions of genius or the ring of intelligence (if you found it) could help a LOT.

I thought the scroll case discount bug had been fixed.

Other posters have it right about the priestess in Dragons eye.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 11:34 PM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Micah Foehammer:
Not sure why you have so much trouble with spell failure. Potions of genius or the ring of intelligence (if you found it) could help a LOT.

My Necromancer has a base INT of 18, I found an amulet that gave +1 to INT, and I drank a Potion of Genius. That gives me 23 INT... and when I tried to memorise a scroll of Power Word Kill... it failed... I nearly had a heart attack from frustration, disbelief, and anger.

I reloaded and tried again 4-5 more times before I succeeded. Mind you, this happens with all the scrolls... I can never scribe 4 scrolls in a row, it is always 2 scrolls, quicksave, 2 scrolls, oops, quickload, etc... ARRGGGHHHH!!!!
Old 03-06-2002, 06:04 PM   #6
NobleNick
Quintesson

I have a high INT mage also, and have the same problem. I always save just before memorizing, and just after a successful memorize. I still succeed more often than fail; but will typically fail twice in the course of memorizing three spells (yes, you math wizards, that *is* more successes than failures). It seems to be getting tougher, the higher I go in spell level. (I don't remember botching any first level spells.) Looks like thats life in IWD...
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 02:43 PM   #7
Eric Wong
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Spoiler ( if you have not gone to GloomFrost)

=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=

Well.. another source of arrows in HoW is the blind dwarf in Gloom frost and I found that I can sell almost any kind of stuff to him... he's like a supermarket!!!! Am I right???
Eric Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 12:13 AM   #8
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Eric Wong:
Spoiler ( if you have not gone to GloomFrost)
=
=
=
=
Well.. another source of arrows in HoW is the blind dwarf in Gloom frost and I found that I can sell almost any kind of stuff to him... he's like a supermarket!!!! Am I right???

True, but my Fighter archer had a lousy time until I reached that Dwarf, and when you add in the fact that he sells Arrows of Ice when almost everybody and anybody in HoW is immuned to cold damage... ...

They were good against Fire Salamanders and Fire Giants though, and on the bright side, he did sell Arrows +2.
Old 03-10-2002, 02:50 AM   #9
Eric Wong
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Haha.. well... he waas in the ice cavern making stuff... if he made Arrows of Inferno... he'll have no place to stay.... all melt oredi.. hahah! but I do like the fact he buys everything you wanna sell
Eric Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 11:37 AM   #10
Jim
Quintesson

quote:
Why does the 85% chance to learn spells feels likes 85% chance to fail?!?!

Remember that the 85% is only a base chance. For every spell level that is above the level that the mage can currently cast, a 10% penalty is incurred, for example, if the mage can cast a max of level 6 spells, and tries to scribe a level 9 scroll with 18 INT, the chance is 85-30=55%.

If the spell failure does your head in (it did mine!), just lower the difficulty to normal (one notch to the left of core) and spells should be learnt automatically. Once they have all been scribed, reset to core/insane/HOF cheesy but saves frustration.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote