Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 12-08-2000, 03:28 AM   #31
Armisael

No point wasting a level five mage spell on animate dead, it's the same as the third level cleric spell. Also, clerics level up faster and get more mem slots.

Old 12-08-2000, 10:54 AM   #32
ArmageddonX
Welcomed New User

The reason I don't believe in summoning is because what can it accomplish for you? Most of the fights where I need any sort of magic power to increase the chances of me winning are battles with dragons and such. My mage has just recently goten to spell level 6 and is able to cast fire elemental. I created it for when I fought the shadow dragon and it got killed in two hits without doing one point of damage! All in all, I plainly believe that I will never be able to summon a creature with adequate power enough to be able to help the battle out much.
Old 12-08-2000, 11:17 AM   #33
_max_RUSSKIE

Yes i agree a bit, but do you remember bgate 1's summoning spells? you got like 8 monsters for summon monster 3

now you get 3 at most, i wish they could have left the spell as it was the whole point off them was cannon fodder! (the more the better) Uhhm armageddon, do you say the same about gated creatures?

Old 12-08-2000, 06:05 PM   #34
Archmagi Wah

you people must be mad!! summoning spells are one of the virtues of being a mage - look at invisible stalker - or wyvern's call and even monster summoning 3 has its use.

you people are all critising mage summoning because you can't use them properly.

especially liches when you need as many monster summonings as possible to waste off their high level spells............try that with nymphs and fire elementals (geez what a waste!!)

mages are OK.

Old 12-08-2000, 10:22 PM   #35
Armisael

Summoning's great. However, I've found cleric and druid summons to be a fair amount better than most mage summons. Carrion summons and spider spawn I don't find very useful at all, they're both far too weak. Monster summoning - at any level - stinks. I'm not wasting two of my six monster summons on bloody ettercaps. Mage elemental summoning is crap, as well. Now, invisible stalker, wyvern call and mordie's sword are all fantastic, and nishruus are great against mages. But what exactly is the point of spells like gate? In AD&D you could bind them with several methods, or hold them to your will with a spiritwrack, but not in BG2 - they simply rage out of control and give you no EP from their kills.
As for liches, they only have one death spell. You can waste a skeletal warrior on that. Ettercaps and sword spiders are all fine and dandy for gnawing at the lich's ankles, but they're about as useless as tits on a bull if you actually want something that'll help you win the battle.

Old 12-09-2000, 01:01 AM   #36
omegadawn
Welcomed New User

Summoning spells usefulness varies depending on the opponent you face and the tactics you choose. You can block doorways with even a weak summons, giving spells and missle weapons time to wear down a stronger foe. I always use a joint effort with my druid and mages casting summons simultaneously. Moving the weaker mage creatures in first, so the stronger and more useful druid minions stick around longer. My cleric casts chant soon after they arrive, while the mages immediatly caste haste and emotion courage or hope. Once my squad is revved, I send an inviso thief to watch while the little monster hoard of five move in to soften an enemy up. Obviously this tactic doesnt work well against creatures immune to normal weapons, but works great against foes like, orcs, kara tou, and spore colonies.( my five guys versus at least 50 myconoids. My minions lost, but killed the 4 spore colonies and most of the mushroomheads before kickin it)
anyway my point is that summons can useful in some situations, racking up the exp while the character group watches from the shadows, ready to summon up some reinforcments.