Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2006, 04:02 PM   #1
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I was looking at my Pentium D bios settings and it said it was an intel 64-bit. Exactly what is 64-bit? Are all pentium D's 64-bit? I thought these were just for server systems and stuff. If this is this case do those 32 and 64 -bit downloads actually matter (you know for things like drivers etc.) cuz when given a choice I have always downloaded the 32 :-/.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:41 PM   #2
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Those downloads only mean something if you have a 64-bit operating system, alas...for instance, I have a 64-bit processor (a processor capable of processing 64 bits of data simulataneously, IIRC), but a 32-bit operating system (Windows XP Pro), as opposed to a 64-bit one (Windows XP Pro 64). Essentially, for a 32 bit operating system, a 64 bit processor just acts like 2 processors.

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 08:00 PM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Right thank you, this is what I thought. Vista is 64 too iirc.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:23 PM   #4
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Vista... Vista will have more versions than any piece of code ever created. Home editions 32 and 64, pro editions 32 and 64, exec edition 32 and 64, server edition 32 and 64, enterprise, workstation GAAAH! *head explodes*
Anyway, Ilander is partly right, except for the part about a 64-bit proc acting as 2 32s. The thing is: if you feed a 64-bit some 64-compliant calculations, it will do use the time 100%. However, if you feed it 32-bit stuff, it will basically work at half speed. And if you have a 64-bit proc and a 32-bit windows, under a great majority of applications it will act as a normal 32-bit proc.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:00 PM   #5
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

It only matters if you run a 64 bit OS, like any of the multitude flavors of Linux 64. Then it really allows the proc to fulfill it's potential as a true 64 bit machine. It does allow the proc to achieve 64 bit info transfer as opposed to 32 or 32 x2 transfer. As pointed out, if you are crippled by the OS (windoze), then you can only achieve the 32 bit transfer. You are correct, stay with 32 bit downloads until you upgrade.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:59 AM   #6
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Ilander:
Those downloads only mean something if you have a 64-bit operating system, alas...for instance, I have a 64-bit processor (a processor capable of processing 64 bits of data simulataneously, IIRC), but a 32-bit operating system (Windows XP Pro), as opposed to a 64-bit one (Windows XP Pro 64). Essentially, for a 32 bit operating system, a 64 bit processor just acts like 2 processors.
Just so you don't make any mistakes and go out buying any, a 64bit processor doesn't work as two processors. Take for instance the first AMD64 socket 754 CPU's. They were a 64bit CPU but still single core. Same with the 939 however they are also available in dual core models (X2) or single core models. It can be confusing but if you're interested in buying really do your homework or ask the salesman which one is the dual or single core model.
I was actually running the AMD64 3700 Socket 754 which is only a single CPU. I tend to upgrade a bit more than I should and have now gone for the AMD64X2 4400 Socket 939 which is a dual core CPU. I'm not sure how the intel ones work but I'm sure there will be some similarities (I hope).

If you were thinking of upgrading I'd seriously recommend the jump to Dual Core CPU's. It can be quite expensive if you have to upgrade your whole setup (boy do I know).
There are some drawbacks however. For instance I am still running the 32bit version of XP. The 64bit just doesn't have enough support for my liking and this means I have to go without many of my favourite programs, many drivers and most of all games. Although some games may work, on my test machine I had next to no success running any games. Far Cry 64 Bit is pretty good but gets boring fast.
Bokken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 07:30 AM   #7
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Bokken:
I'm not sure how the intel ones work but I'm sure there will be some similarities (I hope).
Technology-wise they are fairly similar, though in terms of the features they support, Intel is quite lacking.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bokken:
There are some drawbacks however. For instance I am still running the 32bit version of XP. The 64bit just doesn't have enough support for my liking and this means I have to go without many of my favourite programs, many drivers and most of all games. Although some games may work, on my test machine I had next to no success running any games. Far Cry 64 Bit is pretty good but gets boring fast.
True, the Windows x64 bit edition is technically quite good, unfortunantly the support for it is crap, games should generally work fine, but if you have a decent system, chances are, the devices you have (Mobo springs to mind ) won't have x64 Bit driver support
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:15 AM   #8
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Which is pretty unforgiveable really given how long 64-bit processors have been out. It's only a device driver for heaven's sake! How hard can it be?!

I guess there's not that many people (myself included) who would be prepared to pay for WinXP 64 so they don't bother. Still, it would be nice!

It's not as bad in Linux world but there are still certain binary-only things (like windows codecs) which are 32-bit only and require some monkeying around with to integrate into a 64-bit OS.

I always thought that 32-bit apps should just work under a 64-bit OS - does literally every single thing have to be recompiled as 64-bit?

[ 04-18-2006, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:50 AM   #9
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

is 64bit different from dual processors? just curious

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 03:50 AM   #10
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
is 64bit different from dual processors? just curious
Completely.

Dual core processors allow the one CPU to run multiple threads at once.

64-Bit technology (which most Dual core processors have) allows the CPU to run both 32 and 64 bit threads.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote