Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 03:26 PM   #1
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

http://www.guardian.co.uk/france/sto...608024,00.html

Gah, why haven't they sent the army in? I love the supposed reason as well:
"he unrest was triggered by last Thursday's accidental death in Clichy-sous-Bois, five miles from Aulnay, of two African teenagers who were electrocuted while hiding in a power substation from what they believed, apparently wrongly, was police pursuit "

I see. So they ran from the police, then somehow got themselves killed in a substation. If ever there was a cause for a massive riot, this is it!
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:04 PM   #2
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Yeah, but big riots like this always get kicked off by random trivial incidents that escalate.

I don't think the army is the solution, but I do think that the Interior Minister is right to draw the line between disaffected youths and thugs - I think the flack he's getting for being hard-line is undeserved.

I'm not sure if using the army against your own citizens would do anything to dampen the situation, but they've just deployed a thousand police officers to the area (link)

We'll have to just wait and see I guess. It certainly is a stark reminder of the (oft-denied) conditions within slums areas around Paris, but given that the dispersal method practiced in Britain isn't so great at avoiding riots, poverty and dissolusionment either, it appears that the key to integration of Islamic communities within Western society has still to be discovered.

I'd also like to echo Morgureat's sentiments in another thread in hoping that all IWers living in that area are safe from harm.
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:13 PM   #3
Sir Degrader

Quote:
Originally posted by shamrock_uk:

I'm not sure if using the army against your own citizens would do anything to dampen the situation
Well, didn't it work for the race riots in the 60's? Also AFAIK, the Kent State shootings curbed the violence.That being said though, shooting the youths would probably be throwing gasoline onto the fire.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:18 PM   #4
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

In America? Not to my knowledge...I got the impression that most crackdowns were followed by a legal leap forward towards black rights, almost in reaction.

But I could be wrong, my American history isn't the greatest.
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 07:45 PM   #5
Sir Degrader

Yes, but riots tend to stop when men with assualt rifles open fire. The fastest way to stop it is likely just that, just let the Army thin the herd.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:55 PM   #6
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Degrader:
Yes, but riots tend to stop when men with assualt rifles open fire. The fastest way to stop it is likely just that, just let the Army thin the herd.
I said the same thing at first, but i'm afraid will only get worse that way. Nobody really knows how many firearms the people there have, but take my word for it that it's a considerable amount. Right now it's just a bunch of teenagers doing the rioting, but sending in the army might be the start of a massive uprising. I think it's best to surround the neighbourhoods in question, and let noone in or out. Once there's nothing left to burn, they will probably give up, or they start killing eachother, which would not even be such a bad scenario.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:04 PM   #7
Sir Degrader

Well then draw out the vipers nest. Idiot gangbangers with mac10's aren't a match for FN wielding Legionaires.

[ 11-03-2005, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: Sir Degrader ]
Old 11-03-2005, 11:24 PM   #8
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Looks more and more like this planet is headed for a full scale holywar.

History repeats itself... Humans never learn.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 01:12 AM   #9
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Actually, I wish some of what was happening in France was happening here, too. Most first world governments are in collusion and serve to preserve existing class and power structure. The whole system, worldwide, needs a giant enema.

I have many mixed thoughts, though. Europe is having to address something we've grappled with for years -- a large, insular, disenfranchised minority population.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:56 PM   #10
Sir Degrader

Update: Disabled woman set on fire.
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...457760,00.html

[ 11-04-2005, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: Sir Degrader ]