Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2009, 10:53 PM   #1
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Default Office 2007! Harbinger of frustration.

We received a wonderful President's Day debacle once we returned to work!

The Army, in all of it's infiite wisdom, glory, and brillance, upgraded our server this past holiday weekend. (Yes, without notice)! And of course, we are in the middle of class 09-02, with class 09-03 arriving next Tuesday, and the second pilot course for a new system in house as well. The last two days we have been hands on with weapons, so failed to realize the severity of the upgrade. ALL, and I'm not BS'ing, ALL of our standing .PPTs are screwed! We have been running not 03, but true Office XP for the last several years. We have embedded video, audio and other items of interest (really cool effects) in our .PPTs. GONE! Unable to synchronize, unable to load, unable to play! ARRRGH! During ammunition capabilities, I have (had) a video that is from the muzzle, of a sabot type round, where you can see the atmospheric conditions move over the sub-projectile tip and into the shoulders of the sabot. Then you can see the effect of the environment, and the design of the bullet as it sheds its parasitic burden and flies clean of the sabot petals. Awesome, used to get rave reviews about that video alone. Gone! Never to be played by Office 07!

I personally spent three hours today manually resetting my .PPT and inserting video, file etc... For the life of me, I cannot make it work.

So here I humbly call to the IW community, does anybody have vast knowledge of the inner workings of Office 07? In particular, embedding .avi video into .PPTs?

To answer the questions:
1. All files are located in same folder.
2. All links are embedded, and correct to files.
3. All folders are on desktop, not on LAN.
4. Hardware has not changed, therefore capable of playing said files.
5. All files were re-inserted (manually, singly) from the master folder, to the instructor folder.
6. All files were certified and matched original files.
7. All encrypted files were successfully opened, linked, and viewable from within .PPT.
8. All appeared to be as it should, however, once in presentation mode, the slow agonizing hour glass of failure appeared, longly followed by "Power Point is unable to play this file". Please check...

Naturally, since we have back to back classes in house our training session is scheduled for week after Easter!

AND, to add insult to injury, IMO gained access to our mobile team laptop via the command group knowing they would not get it from us! So we have absolutely no reserve forces on this mission! I retired for a reason, and I'll be damned if it feels hauntingly familiar!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:15 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: Office 2007! Harbinger of frustration.

I'm from corporate, and I'm here to help... *ducks*

One option... do you still have "working" Office XP documents? If so, and if you can get them to an Office XP environment, you should be able to save them as .pps files (powerpoint show... different from .ppt) and then find an old powerpoint viewer for that version. Might be less hassle than trying to put it all together.

Another thing that may have happened... the file associations may be toast. If you double-click on the various audio, etc. files, do they open up and play properly? Or do you get asked to identify an app to open them with?
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:25 PM   #3
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungleau View Post
I'm from corporate, and I'm here to help... *ducks*

One option... do you still have "working" Office XP documents? If so, and if you can get them to an Office XP environment, you should be able to save them as .pps files (powerpoint show... different from .ppt) and then find an old powerpoint viewer for that version. Might be less hassle than trying to put it all together.

Another thing that may have happened... the file associations may be toast. If you double-click on the various audio, etc. files, do they open up and play properly? Or do you get asked to identify an app to open them with?
First issue dear corporate fiend [r], GOV'T PCs do not allow common "grunts" to perform anything that requires installing software, just like the USB plugs can tell a "clicker" from a data device (don't do it), they can tell if you want to use something that did not authorize! The dragon screen is cool, once! Twice maybe on a long day, three times will get you a visit by the bad woman with a black suite!

The commandant frowns if he sees us running a .PPT with a laptop. Stickler on regulations.

As a stand alone file, windows media player has no issue with the files, I'm thinking somewhere between the link and the big screen, the codec is not working with 07 .PPT.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:33 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmm... have you tried saving the files in Office XP format, to see if that will work?

In any case, this link may be useful for you.

http://www.playsforcertain.com/tutorial.htm

Useful FAQ... "My existing presentations with media stopped working"...

You may have to go back to big brother to get it fixed...
-+-+-+
Old 02-18-2009, 11:46 PM   #5
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungleau View Post
Hmmm... have you tried saving the files in Office XP format, to see if that will work?

In any case, this link may be useful for you.

http://www.playsforcertain.com/tutorial.htm

Useful FAQ... "My existing presentations with media stopped working"...

You may have to go back to big brother to get it fixed...
Just sent link to me@.mil, will have about 4 hours to dedicate to this tomorrow. Tanks!

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Old 02-19-2009, 12:49 AM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

My pleasure. Good luck with it!
-+-+-+
Old 02-19-2009, 05:53 AM   #7
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

See what happens when you don't respect the sabot!
Old 02-19-2009, 06:34 AM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Ba-dum-bum
-+-+-+
Old 02-19-2009, 06:45 AM   #9
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Go here..
http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/msoffice/?p=135
or here..
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/is/office20...ific.html#tip1

I don't know if any of this will help seeing as how you don't seem to have Admin priviledges. This is where it takes a village (couldn't resist..sorry Felix!), you may have to ask a tech weeny for help. I feel certain that it can be done,,,,,but not by the bottom-feeding, scum-sucking, non-Admin priviledge types...especially the ones with those Taliban sponsored Nuclear Flash Drives!!

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.

Last edited by ElfBane; 02-19-2009 at 03:01 PM.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:59 PM   #10
MagiK
Emerald Dragon

Weird, I switched to 07 almost a year ago and havent had any backward compatability issues... You could email me that awesome Sabot file to try out on my machine