Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 06:26 AM   #1
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Question Mark Dual layer DVD??

I was looking at these DVD's at the store yesterday. It was $10 for a six pack, but they are dual layer. My DVD player is about 5 years old. Will I be able to play these?
It's a Zenith DV5722NC
Old 08-23-2007, 07:42 AM   #2
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Default Re: Dual layer DVD??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood View Post
I was looking at these DVD's at the store yesterday. It was $10 for a six pack, but they are dual layer. My DVD player is about 5 years old. Will I be able to play these?
It's a Zenith DV5722NC
In a simple answer, No!
Blue Ray vs Dual layer, vs DVD-r-rw-r-rw = (Original DVD format). 'Most' home consumers, and certainly one more than 1.5 years old are still using the introduction original style. Hollywood is using the dual layer, and the high end 'I have nothing else to do with my money types' are into Blue Ray. Maybe one day soon Blue Ray will be on the affordable list. Basically the dual layer opens up roughly (x2) the available space, going from 4.7 to 8.5GB. Blue-Ray by the way is under heavy development, waiting a bit may land you a final version of 25GB as opposed to the current 15GB per disc.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:09 AM   #3
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Hmm, bumber.
The 6 six movies on these DVD's are pretty good. I'm sure they will play on my PC, since the DVD play in it is only a few months old.

I didn't want to buy it and be stuck not being able to play it, thanks.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:32 PM   #4
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

I could not find your exact player in the database. Rummage through your owners booklet and see what it reads about format. You are looking for DVD-R ...and something with DL within it's parameters. Some manufacturers have reported compatibility as early as 2002 with expectation of that technology becoming a product rather than a future.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote