Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2001, 03:44 PM   #11
Charean
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Interesting replies!
What is even more interesting is the number of people NOT replying! Has everyone suddenly developed ostrich syndrome
I think your query is so thought-provoking that people are trying to come up with their caffeine fix so they can formulate answers... or they are AFRAID!!! Very Afraid!!!
Old 06-15-2001, 03:48 PM   #12
Charean
Hathor

I totally agree with you Moridin... renewable energy is the way to go.

I understand there is a hydrogen engine - it literally runs on the gas and its waste is WATER!!! Why is it not pushed? I leave that up to you. The oil industry doesn't have a friend in me.

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Goodness knows there is a lot of Dark out there!! - Where are my matches?!?
Wandering Soul - Finding my life's calling is Bodhisattva
You are what your deep driving desire is; As your deep driving desire is, so is your will; As your will is so is your deed; As your deed is so is your destiny.
The Upanishads
Old 06-15-2001, 04:24 PM   #13
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Charean:
I totally agree with you Moridin... renewable energy is the way to go.

I understand there is a hydrogen engine - it literally runs on the gas and its waste is WATER!!! Why is it not pushed? I leave that up to you. The oil industry doesn't have a friend in me.

A hydrogen engine? What a concept

Actually there is a hydrogen engine. It is powered by electrolysis (bear with me as it has been a long time since I studied chemistry ) Electrolysis works by passing an electrical current through water (H2O) which produces H2 and O2 gases, which can then be collected and burned. When hydrogen and oxygen gases are burned the only by-product is water. Reasons why this is not pushed are beyond me Could be the oil industry putting pressure on the auto industry, could be physically impossible to carry that much water in a desent size automobile (water weighs considerably more than gasoline), or it could be that enough research has not been done yet to make it commercially viable......

------------------

Ever wonder if illiterate people get the full effect from alphabet soup?
Old 06-15-2001, 05:03 PM   #14
Charean
Hathor

From what I understand - due to a long-ago viewed show on the Discovery Channel - the water would be out of the exhaust... the engine isn't that big, but the oil industry is very much against this. And this engine isn't really fast enough yet... top speed, around 40mph or so.

It really isn't commercially viable at this moment... but will be. I would love to see more hybrids on the market (only 3 now, Honda Insight, Toyota Prius, and General Motor's EV1 Parallel Hybrid) that do have economy and speed. I am hoping that people will spend a little more to do well by the enviornment. If they do... they WILL send a message to Washington DC, because they follow where the dollars go...

------------------

Defender for the Light -
You are what your deep driving desire is; As your deep driving desire is, so is your will; As your will is so is your deed; As your deed is so is your destiny.
The Upanishads
Old 06-15-2001, 05:48 PM   #15
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Ha! Much better! Keep it coming, you guys!

------------------

Old 06-15-2001, 06:04 PM   #16
jabidas
Silver Dragon

I despise Bush and his callous disregard for the enviornment in favor of big companys whos only intrest is the bottom line of a balance sheet.

------------------
Old 06-15-2001, 06:16 PM   #17
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Y'know, I had expected someone to either flame me or say I was sick because of my earlier post, and now it seems as though noone has noticed it.
Old 06-15-2001, 06:19 PM   #18
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Please make an honest effort to drive less.
Old 06-15-2001, 06:22 PM   #19
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

On the whole hydrogen thing...

I was just reading in a car magazine that they have developed a new hydrogen fuel cell. It does not work through electrolysis like mentioned earlier. It has something to do with liquid hydrogen in a fuel cell used to generate electricity to power a electric motor. I don't think they were using the hydrogen to actually generate a explosion to turn an engine. Like mentioned, the byproduct is water. I know GM has a car in the works using this technology.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)
Old 06-15-2001, 06:28 PM   #20
Charean
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
Y'know, I had expected someone to either flame me or say I was sick because of my earlier post, and now it seems as though noone has noticed it.
I did notice it... I was just agreed.. But that is evil of me and I am not an evil person by nature...but I like to PROTECT nature... hence... my agreement. (Did any of that make sense, or am I ranting again?)

------------------

Defender for the Light -
The Upanishads