Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2002, 08:17 AM   #11
MagiK

Anyone notice, that all this information is already available to them, and all they have to do is get a court order and it is theirs for the taking. The only real difference between the system NOW and the system under this new database, is that instead of calling 97 different places to get the information, they go to one single place.

I'm not promoting this database, I have not yet done enough research to form a sound opinion. I am just saying, that if you think that info isn't available to them already, you are deluding yourself people.

This is exactly the same issue, every one had a bit ago when tthe idea to give the FBI permission to sit in a Mosque if they suspect it is being used for terrorist recruiting. They always could, they just couldn't use the evidence gathered there in court. All I really see this doing is making the government agency more efficient...which is a scary thing in and of itself.

Well thats my take on the issue.

[ 11-14-2002, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 11-14-2002, 08:21 AM   #12
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
Your private life is no more, which isn't too surprising. George Orwell was right, but just a little off on when it would happen, only by about 18 years.

The thought of the government knowing about EVERYTHING you do is more than a little creepy.

If you buy something...use cash!

Of course who else but the government knows what's best for us!

Mark
Mark, got news for ya buddy. There is already a system in place for tracking cash transactions. Any large cash purchases are flagged as suspicious. Hell in Florida if you are caught with more than $2500 in cash on you, the cash is confiscated and you are held untill you can prove you are not a drug dealer.

This is nothing new. It has been going on since the mid 90's

Edit: as part of the governments "War on Drugs"

[ 11-14-2002, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 11-14-2002, 08:42 AM   #13
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Question Mark

Yes...face it folks...this database ALREADY exists...why worry over it, really.

Our government has been compiling information on it's citizens for years. Still creeps me out, but what can you do? I'd suppose the database began when the cold war really heated up...to track potential communists...maybe even earlier.

I just live my life and don't worry about it. They are going to collect the information whether I like it or not.
[img]\"http://home.earthlink.net/~moraine_sedai/_uimages/dragonmage.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/hero2.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Alureth...Dragon friend of Lady Breanna<br /><br />Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.<br />Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force<br />Mother Hen of IW and Mage extraordinaire.<br /><br />Utterly in love with my soul mate, Hiram.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:57 AM   #14
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:
Yes...face it folks...this database ALREADY exists...why worry over it, really.

Our government has been compiling information on it's citizens for years. Still creeps me out, but what can you do? I'd suppose the database began when the cold war really heated up...to track potential communists...maybe even earlier.

I just live my life and don't worry about it. They are going to collect the information whether I like it or not.
I think citizens trying to alter or protest against anything they are uncomfortable with is a good thing and occasionally gets results.
The key is not to get paranoid about it. As Magik said - the info has long been available to those who know how to get it. Remember - all that info would be very handy for spys and terrorists to get their hands on easily too, so you can guarantee they're not going to auction it off on ebay or anything. Depends whether you think your govt. is a friend or an enemy? Isn't that a loaded question? [img]smile.gif[/img]

IMHO, as self serving as governments/politicians seem to be right now, they still want the populace to be comfortable. They don't want to impose a police state or thet'll end up with revolution...
Old 11-14-2002, 08:57 AM   #15
MagiK

DM thats the most sensible thing you can do. Unless you relly are involved with suspect groups, there just isn't enough time for the big evil government to pay any attention to you.

The databases started being kept the minute companies started keeping track of their customers. All the surveys, all the discount cards that people apply for so they can swipe them at the counter...People have been broadcasting their personal information for decades, never wondering where all that info might wind up. How many of those "idiot cards" that you find in magazines have you filled out? How many online surveys have you done? (note: Im not picking on DM here, Im tlaking about all of us).

Old 11-14-2002, 09:03 AM   #16
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
DM thats the most sensible thing you can do. Unless you relly are involved with suspect groups, there just isn't enough time for the big evil government to pay any attention to you.

The databases started being kept the minute companies started keeping track of their customers. All the surveys, all the discount cards that people apply for so they can swipe them at the counter...People have been broadcasting their personal information for decades, never wondering where all that info might wind up. How many of those "idiot cards" that you find in magazines have you filled out? How many online surveys have you done? (note: Im not picking on DM here, Im tlaking about all of us).
True. I'm constantly amazed at how many people contact me because they know I'm a homeowner. It's public knowledge and people use it all the time.
I'm more annoyed about telemarketers getting their hands on my info than ASIO or someone like that. (I'm assuming that Australia has similar policies and if they don't, U.S. puppet Johnny Howard will make sure we do soon...)
Old 11-14-2002, 09:12 AM   #17
MagiK

Leonis, that hit it exactly on the head, where do you think telemarketers get your information? From a database, where is this database? its all over, the bank has one, the sear store has one, I just can't get all worked up over the fact that they want to take all that available information and put it in one place, they still will have to show just cause to access the information and it will make them more efficient..and in theory, less costly. But I havn't really read the whole proposal yet so who knows.

Old 11-14-2002, 10:47 AM   #18
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
To this computerized dossier on your private life from commercial sources, add every piece of information that government has about you — passport application, driver's license and bridge toll records, judicial and divorce records, complaints from nosy neighbors to the F.B.I., your lifetime paper trail plus the latest hidden camera surveillance — and you have the supersnoop's dream: a "Total Information Awareness" about every U.S. citizen.
OMG! This is that "Permanent Record" that our grade school teachers always warned us about! And I thought they were joking! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2002, 10:59 AM   #19
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
quote:
To this computerized dossier on your private life from commercial sources, add every piece of information that government has about you — passport application, driver's license and bridge toll records, judicial and divorce records, complaints from nosy neighbors to the F.B.I., your lifetime paper trail plus the latest hidden camera surveillance — and you have the supersnoop's dream: a "Total Information Awareness" about every U.S. citizen.
OMG! This is that "Permanent Record" that our grade school teachers always warned us about! And I thought they were joking! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]What I want to know is when I lose my copy of some of these important life paper-trail pieces, can I call 'em up for another copy?

I really think we're head for a world akin to the retinal-identification system in Minority Report. Imagine, you walk into a McDonalds and you get to the counter where some pimply-faced teen says: "Good Day Mr. Loftis, would you like your usual #2 Combo without bacon?"
Old 11-14-2002, 11:21 AM   #20
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
What I want to know is when I lose my copy of some of these important life paper-trail pieces, can I call 'em up for another copy?

I really think we're head for a world akin to the retinal-identification system in Minority Report. Imagine, you walk into a McDonalds and you get to the counter where some pimply-faced teen says: "Good Day Mr. Loftis, would you like your usual #2 Combo without bacon?"

You now TL, I have yet to see that movie [img]smile.gif[/img] I guess I should get it people talk about it a lot.

As for the last part of your post, I already have that at the MickyD's that I stop at in the morning, I walk in say hello and while they do not know my name, they order my Egg McMuffin with regular bacon instead of canadian with extra cheese all with me not haveing to say a word, and no computer telling them [img]smile.gif[/img] We used ot call it customer service