Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-28-2003, 08:07 PM   #11
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well I have a very embarassing tale regarding handicapped parking spots. [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I lived in Florida with my college roommate for a short while about a year after graduation. We were returning a movie to the local video store one night and it just so happened that there was a spot available right at the door!!!

As I was about to get out of the car, my roommate said "You do realize this is a handicapped spot, don't you?" There wasn't a sign marking it as such and the painted symbol on the asphalt was almost completely worn away (AND it was nighttime...so I hadn't seen it). I paused and considered moving the car, but decided to go ahead and return the video. After all, I was just going in, dropping off the video, and coming RIGHT BACK. I figure I could be back and gone in the same amount of time it would take to move the car.

I got into the store only discover a rather long line at the counter. I could have just walked up and set the video down, but since I had just moved there I wanted to make sure the clerk marked the movie as Returned! I finally got the video to the clerk and returned to the car (took maybe 8-10 minutes total). A truck had pulled in beside me and the lady that got out of the passenger side literally shot daggers at me with her eyes. I sheepishly nodded to her and climbed in my car. That's when I saw her husband coming around from the driver's side - on crutches!

My friend and I looked at each other with trepidation. Sure enough, when the guy comes into view, we realize he only has one leg. [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img] I was about to die from embarassment and the wife was doing her best to kill both of us with her looks. The husband steadfastly ignored us.

Needless to say, I NEVER parked in a handicapped spot again AT ALL!
Old 05-28-2003, 08:31 PM   #12
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Very dignified of you to admit that to us. [img]graemlins/awesomework.gif[/img]
A lesson we can all learn from your mistake!
Old 05-28-2003, 09:02 PM   #13
Charlie
Lord Ao

My dad was given a disabled parking permit. Not much good to him being blind. Not a nice thought to think whoever was chauffering him about might have been beaten up upon for appearing to be too fit to "own" the permit. Permits are issued to the disabled granted, they are not necessarily used per se by the recipient.

Abuse of permits is a bum deal no doubt, but what do you do if the driver appears ok and there's a passenger? Question the passenger first?

Excuse me mate, are you spastic in any way, physically deformed, mentally deranged mayhaps? No, oh good! "Driver".....THWACCKK.
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Old 05-29-2003, 12:13 AM   #14
Animal
Gold Dragon

I'm not advocating hauling someone out of their car and laying a beating on them if they have a reasonable reason for being in a disabled parking stall, yet most people who park in them don't.

After my neck injury, I was issued a temporary disabled parking permit, but I never used it. Sure, it took me longer, as I was having dificulties walking and had to use a cane for a while, but someone may have needed it more than I, someone who truly was disabled.