Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2001, 12:50 PM   #31
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerome:
Actually Reeka i have remained true to my word. I have not ventured into the post, and shall not in the future. I take my word very seriously, and would not lie to my friends and my big sister. I swear.

Whether i would be offended or not is a moot point Reeka, but rested assured Yorick that i am fine, and me and Reeka are most assuredly friends. Aint that right Big Sis?

Jerome,

I promise you that in future, you will need to make no such 'promises'. Okay?
BK and I tried to keep it acceptable in the Sagas...if anything there bothered you, or made you uncomfortable,let me know, please. Because we will be keeping it at that level or better in all our future postings.

Cloudy in "mama mode"

------------------

Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Old 04-02-2001, 12:50 PM   #32
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

I completley agree with what has been said above, and myself being a minor ,, i realise that you are concerned that you let them see or read that you consider unsuitable. And i and the others should be thankfull for it, to have people looking after us. But you may be underestimating *just* a bit the toughness of teenagers minds. Other than that, you have my support.

------------------

Jerome, Arch Nemisis of the OHF

[This message has been edited by Jerome (edited 04-02-2001).]
Old 04-02-2001, 12:56 PM   #33
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir_Tainly:
I have, I feel, crossed the acceptable boundary a couple of times, and I do feel uncomfortable with it now, especially as I got a friendly reminder from Cloudy. I haven't read all the stuff on the inn post, it gets too long to read it all, but if there's specific stuff in there I think it could be a problem. Not getting at anyone here, so don't all have a go at me, just think we should all take responsibility, me included. Roll out the innuendo then we're all safe,

Thanks for the above. I am by no means a 'prude' as you well know...but I DO take seriously the fact that there are young people here (lurking and posting) and I feel responsible for maintaining some degree of decorum when involved. I hope that I haven't blown that at any time-feel free to tell me if I have.

Cloudy

------------------

Storm-Queen
Old 04-02-2001, 01:00 PM   #34
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
I completley agree with what has been said above, and myself being a minor ,, i realise that you are concerned that you let them see or read that you consider unsuitable. And i and the others should be thankfull for it, to have people looking after us. But you may be underestimating *just* a bit the toughness of teenagers minds. Other than that, you have my support.

Jerome,

Believe me, I don't underestimate it at all. I simply feel that I should be an example and if my behavior crosses a line that I try to hold to, then I do not feel good about it. So even in cyberspace, I want to be a good 'citizen' and that includes not splashing inappropriate material/language around the internet.

The fact that some/most teens would probably be able to tell me things *I* didn't know in that respect, well, it doesn't change my feelings on the matter.

BTW, I have a lot of respect for you, Jerome. Quite a lot.

Cloudy

------------------

Storm-Queen
Old 04-02-2001, 01:04 PM   #35
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:

Being the ripe old age of 24, it is not too far away for me to understand the feeling that you can handle it. And you are right, you can handle most of what life can throw you at that age. The point is that you shouldn't have to. Enjoy your innocence. Stay young as long as you can. Because you will be an adult for sooooo much longer.

BK
Old 04-02-2001, 01:04 PM   #36
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

Yeah, even in this electronic haven our RL laws etc still apply! I understand that we all have to act in a deccent manner at all times. And cloudy never have you gone too far, you've toed the line all the way, but never crossed it (though how i dont know )

And i have a lot of respect for you too cloudy, your an assest to the board, an inventive writer and a ray of sunshine in all of our lives, despit your name.

------------------

Jerome, Arch Nemisis of the OHF
Old 04-02-2001, 01:13 PM   #37
LadyRae
Symbol of Cyric

Here, here, Jerome! I for one haven't seen anything that could be considered stronger than pg13... Sure, there's a lot of inuendo, but I haven't seen so much as a h$ll without it being full of #$%'s and I haven't seen anything go beyond a 'censored' or 'fade to black'. Come on you guys! Jerome, Rikard, Bahamut, and Wah are not babies! In fact, they have shown great maturity by not becomming involved with the romantic side of it that many of us have gotten involved in. No, Yorick, I don't think this is cybersex at all. More like Harliquin Romance! (Did you delete your post? I can't find it) Anyway, I don't think we even need to be concerned with it being of an adult nature. I've seen more risque on daytime television!!!

------------------
Proprietor of The Moon's Hope Inn
Conspirator...Um, I mean, member of the Ladies Guild
Smitten by The.Relic

[This message has been edited by LadyRae (edited 04-02-2001).]
Old 04-02-2001, 03:33 PM   #38
LadyRae
Symbol of Cyric

*BUMPSTERS!*

------------------
Proprietor of The Moon's Hope Inn
Conspirator...Um, I mean, member of the Ladies Guild
Smitten by The.Relic

Old 04-02-2001, 04:03 PM   #39
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Thanks for the above. I am by no means a 'prude' as you well know...but I DO take seriously the fact that there are young people here (lurking and posting) and I feel responsible for maintaining some degree of decorum when involved. I hope that I haven't blown that at any time-feel free to tell me if I have.

Cloudy

This post might get me in trouble for various reasons, so let me start off by saying that I have no intention to be disrepectful or derogatory towards any individual or any nationality, but:

- After reading the other posts I believe that many of the Americans here should realize that their culture is rather "prudish" compared with other western countries. To give you an example: all over continental Europe it is quite common, and widely accepted, that there are huge billboards with ads, let alone magazine covers at newsstands, displaying "full frontal nudity". If I am not completely misinformed that would be completely unthinkable in the States. My point is neither to say which way is better, nor do I even intend to discuss that here, but to draw your attention to the fact that decency is a highly relative concept, mostly inherent in the respective national/regional cultures.

- The American obsession with protecting minors from "indecency" has always struck me as being - at least partly - hypocritical: the alleged motivation to protect minors is basically a cover for the true motivations that belong more in the ideological and religious field, but cannot be openly be advocated as such, because a society as diverse as the American can only function under the assumption of ideological and religious neutrality of the state. I also strongly believe that children, let alone teenagers, need not to be protected half as much from the exposure to "improper" information as from actual harm like neglect, being unloved, violence, physical and mental abuse of all kind. To quote the former first lady: "It takes a village !" But that is a very ambiguous statement, because it also implies that not only the positive things but also the real dangers for kids do not mainly come from the media and society at large, but from their immediate environment, sometimes even from within their own family.

- The meaning of all of the above for this board: let me start by admitting that I've never been to the inn, but I have been around long enough to have experienced the start of Bk's and Cb's "romance" and if things have not become more explicit tenfold since then, I think I have an idea what you are talking about and see no reason for concern. But even that is beside the point as I think that the focus has to shift from wanting to protect the innocence of actually or potentially present teens - no need for that - or the upholding of an uniform standard of decency - on an international board to define something like that would be almost impossible - to the much more important and broader issue of mutual respect. But that is an ambiguous concept to a certain degree as well. To make my point clear: let's assume for a minute that Melusine and I decided to enact our own "hot romance" here (Hi Melusine, that is no silly attempt to hit on you, just for the sake of the argument ) and let's furthermore assume that we choose to do so with a level of explicitness we were both perfectly comfortable with but others found to be slightly over the top (slightly, nobody wants to turn the board into a x-rated publication). I personally think that those "others" would have to live with that, since respect also entails the tolerance for someone else's right of free expression and to an own value system. (If I ever was in that situation, I would still tone my words down, as a matter of courtesy.) Now let's assume that Cb would be "dumped" by Bk and subsequently would take up a virtual "romance" with me(again, all just for the sake of the argument). If I now inadvertently overstepped her line, she would, of course, be entitled to demand that I respect her standards and change my ways, even if I personally thought that they were ridiculously prudish (No, Cb, I do not actually think that you are very prudish. ).

Why did I get into this debate ? Because I thought that it was rather one-sided and I also believe that the concept of decency promoted here by many can be very dangerous, because it is an ideal "Trojan horse" for intolerance.

I know that many here, especially the parents among you, will strongly disagree with me and that is fine with me, but I hope wholeheartedly that I have not angered anyone to a point that he or she won't even bother anymore to openly contest those of my ideas they found wrong or even offensive. Please, let me know what you think !

You are all great people !

------------------
So long !

R³ - Co-president(s) of the Club of Broken Hearts
Old 04-02-2001, 04:12 PM   #40
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Ramon...oh boy...I have no time (gotta run home now) nor the clearly thought out answers I really need. So I'm shortchanging you with a quick acknowledgement of your post. And I'll romance you any day, Ramon...just not in graphic color on the board! LOL

CB

------------------

Storm-Queen