Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 04-05-2001, 03:53 PM   #1
Sherpa Doug alias
Elite Waterdeep Guard

How valuable is the Move Silently thief skill? I usually put a lot of points into Hide In Shadows until it is well over 100%. Sometimes my thief becomes visable anyway. Is this because my Move Silently skill is down at 20%?

Sherpa Doug
Old 04-05-2001, 03:54 PM   #2
Gimlee
Elminster

Move silently will keep you in shadows when you walk or just stand there. Put this skill equal to hide in shadow.
Old 04-05-2001, 04:06 PM   #3
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Yes, you don't want the enemy to hear you come now do you?

------------------

Hmmmmmm...Yes, that must be it
Old 04-05-2001, 04:25 PM   #4
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

I have always been wondering about how this is being implemented myself since I learnt that the former "stealth" ability had been split into "Move Silently" and "Hide in Shadows". If you two, Gimlee & El_Kalkylus, are right, the "Move Silently" ability all by itself would be completely worthless as you always first needed "Hide in Shadows" to become "invisible" before you needed and could use "Move Silently" to stay "invisible while moving. And that in turn would spark the question: "why the split-up ?" if one ability cannot be used independently from the other. Okay "Hide in Shadows" itself can still be used - in a very restricted way - without "Move Silently" - to become "invisible" and stand still on the spot.

------------------
So long !

R³ - new, much improved signature under construction !

Old 04-05-2001, 05:14 PM   #5
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

That's a very good question, and sadly I have no answer to it.

But if you only had one ability, stealth, then how long would you stay in shadows? Would the hide in shadows and move silently be equally divided. If that was the case, then you wouldn't have the liberty of concentrating your skill in hide in shadows and skip move silently for a while until you feel ready of putting your points there.

I don't know, maybe it's something like this because there are so many thief-skills to choose from, and hide in shadow is one of the most important one.

------------------

Old 04-05-2001, 05:17 PM   #6
Gimlee
Elminster

Also, when you are in shadows, your thaco is reduced by 4 or something like that.
Old 04-05-2001, 05:22 PM   #7
Charlie
Lord Ao

I posed similar questions regarding thieves not so very long back. Move Silently, Climb Walls and Read languages are all in the thief abilities in the manual but no real explanation of their purpose is given. Move Silently in particular gave cause for concern. Remembering that you only get 25 points to distribute upon lev' up, if you need to assign to move silently and hide in shadows equally then this cuts your options down a fair bit when assigning points to other thieving skills.

------------------
One love, peace.
Old 04-05-2001, 05:24 PM   #8
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Yes charlie, my point exactly.

------------------

Old 04-05-2001, 05:25 PM   #9
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Gimlee:
Also, when you are in shadows, your thaco is reduced by 4 or something like that.

Yes, I think it is, this makes it a very good ability.

------------------

Old 04-05-2001, 05:34 PM   #10
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Gimlee:

Gimlee, that thac0 bonus, I believe, applies generally when your thief is backstabbing, regardless if from "hide in shadows" or from being invisible due to magic.

El_kalkylus - I have a strong suspicion that the only real purpose of the split-up was to give high-level thieves enough abilities to assign their points to.

Charlie, see above and nice to see you. Still on DSotSC ? I have not made it far enough in my new game of BG I yet, beginning of chapter 3, to notice any differences to a regular game.

------------------
So long !

R³ - new, much improved signature under construction !