Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 08-24-2002, 08:52 AM   #1
FelixJaeger
Symbol of Cyric

hmmn how do u place doors? i cant do it? and i keep getting a APL error like how can i fix this?ill no doubt have more questions so i guess ill post them here later,
Felix
FelixJaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 09:36 AM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Try posting them all on this thread so others have an easy frame of reference.

You can't place doors just anywhere - you need to place them in a spot where they can go eg a doorway or area transition of some sort. This can be quite confusing initially, but the best way to experiment is to create a new test mod, create an area using the city interior tileset, and start laying some terrain down. One of your terrain options will be "Doorway" - you can lay that on your existing floor/wall terrain to create a doorway (if it's in a logical place). Then you can attach a door to it and it will snap into place.

If you use a Feature or a Group (eg an Inn Room or a Kitchen or an Livingroom) this will usually already come with a doorway somewhere - the only downside with using groups or features is that you can't insert a doorway into it - where they painted the doorway in the model is where the door is going to go.

Hope this helps. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 09:56 AM   #3
FelixJaeger
Symbol of Cyric

well ok ive decided to leave my dwarven mine for a minute and messabout in a little city thing or sumthing, but i have another problem when editing NPC's i cand edit a copy as all the files are full?!? like what does that mean?oh and what does "A WIN32 API function failed" mean and how do i fix it?
cheers,
Felix
Edit:how exactly do i get NPC's to sit down? is it in their properties because i cant access it becuz of the win32 app thing?

[ 08-24-2002, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: FelixJaeger ]
Old 08-24-2002, 10:59 AM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by FelixJaeger:
well ok ive decided to leave my dwarven mine for a minute and messabout in a little city thing or sumthing, but i have another problem when editing NPC's i cand edit a copy as all the files are full?!? like what does that mean?oh and what does "A WIN32 API function failed" mean and how do i fix it?
cheers,
Felix
Edit:how exactly do i get NPC's to sit down? is it in their properties because i cant access it becuz of the win32 app thing?
You're full of questions, mate - I'm not going to be able to answer every single one.

I'm not sure about any Win32 error - but that sounds like maybe you need to patch to the latest patch.

With the NPCs sitting down, you need to do 2 things:

1. Make a chair useable (click on its properties)
2. Put this in its OnUsed script:

//This script will allow a PC to sit in a chair

Quote:
void main()
{
object oChair = OBJECT_SELF;
if(!GetIsObjectValid(GetSittingCreature(oChair)))
{
AssignCommand(GetLastUsedBy(), ActionSit(oChair));
}
}
For an NPC you just need to use a variation of that. Check out the Bioware NWN Scripting forum for more details, the scripts don't turn out *quite* right with our forum software here.

Good luck, and remember - try not to do everything at once or you will just get frustrated. Start doing little things, and then move on to the big things after that. And the best way to learn is to open up the Official Campaign in the toolset and check to see how the Bio guys did it.

Old 08-24-2002, 11:04 AM   #5
FelixJaeger
Symbol of Cyric

well im starting small...and its not my fault im curious...im patching up as i type and ive decided just to get a guy who walks in and talks to a seated NPC (the start of the bigger mod i want to make... except with a dwarf in the mines)and then maybe a new area when i get everything in this are how i like it,
cheers Memnoch,
Felix
Old 08-24-2002, 12:48 PM   #6
Chewbacca
Zartan

Hey, the win32 api error is a bug that bioware unofficially acknowledged on the forums just a few weeks ago. I get it while editing scripts within conversations, about 40% of the time. As far as I know there is yet to be a work a round or fix . Call tech support! They need your system info in order to officially acknowledge the bug as well as fix it!
Old 08-24-2002, 03:41 PM   #7
FelixJaeger
Symbol of Cyric

Argh still not fixed im getting it 100% of the time... i wonder if i loaded up my other mod and tried that might it make a difference? hmmn memnoch you do a lot of this stuff dont u get API errors? or do you have a good version/fixpack?oh well time to check their homepage...
Felix
Old 08-24-2002, 04:00 PM   #8
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by FelixJaeger:
Argh still not fixed im getting it 100% of the time... i wonder if i loaded up my other mod and tried that might it make a difference? hmmn memnoch you do a lot of this stuff dont u get API errors? or do you have a good version/fixpack?oh well time to check their homepage...
Felix
I heard that patch 1.23 is coming out next week - hopefully they've fixed that API bug. I don't get it myself (thank God). I occasionally get access errors when importing HakPaks, but that's about it - from 1.20 onwards I haven't had any crashes. Before that I was crashing every couple of days.

Old 08-24-2002, 04:10 PM   #9
Chewbacca
Zartan

Here is a link from the biowares forums where one of the toolset programmers commented on the win32api bug.

http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/myview...20323&forum=46
Old 08-24-2002, 04:21 PM   #10
FelixJaeger
Symbol of Cyric

well im just downloading all the fixpacks 1.10 to 1.22 i think and i tried to auto update but it didnt work so ive had to do it the boring way...well im setting out all the enemies/ NPC's in my dungeon thing and ill script them when i get the needed mods...1 more question (soz memnoch, yes i do know i ask a lot of questions but its the only way ill learn) when editing signs etc etc (well im using the headstone i just need to know when you edit it which part do you edit to put the msg that the PC reads? like the merchants signs.i.e is it in the description/ comments etc etc?
Felix
edit:thanks Chewy

[ 08-24-2002, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: FelixJaeger ]