Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 09-12-2004, 03:55 PM   #1
Valian
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I played the game without a single crash until I wanted to leave town of Ishad Na via western gate to go to Shurugon Castle. Once I click on the gate, the game starts loading and always crash with message "The instruction at 0044cda1 referenced memory at 00000088. The memory could not be read from". I´v already consulted with tech tips, but there´s only hint to run the game with compatibility mode under win 95, which I already did. I´v also tried to reinstall but no luck. Any smart suggestions? Thanks.
Valian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 04:05 PM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

WElcome to the board, Valian!!!

Not a fun problem and I'm not the best to answer it but others who will no doubt be much more helpful should be along soon.

Do you have an earlier save in which you can test trying to exit the west gate of Ishad N'ha?? Might be helpful to know if this is a problem in ALL your game saves or just this particular one.

I think the techies will also find it helpful if you tell us more about your computer, the OS you're using, video card etc. etc. (the Tech Tips gives a nice list of the things you should tell us about your hardware and software).

Be patient, we should be able to get this problem sorted out!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 04:47 PM   #3
Valian
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks Wyv. Other two nearest savepoints do do same . However, my system details are. Win XP Professional + service pack 1, Athlon 1800, 768 MB RAM, GeForce 4.
Valian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 05:29 PM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Well, that's actually good. I think that rules out the possibility that you have corrupt save.

Did you do the virtual dub routine as outlined in the Tech Tips?
What version of DirectX are you using??
Are your drivers all uptodate??
Are you running the game graphics in "software" mode?
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 10:10 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Let me add a couple of items to Wyv's list...

...Is your virtual memory fixed or dynamic? Fixed is better, and instructions on getting there are in the Best Tips thread (or they will be soon [img]smile.gif[/img] ).

......*edit* Yep, they're in there. 6.9 is minimum virtual memory, and 6.10 covers setting it to the same size (fixed) at 2-3 times your actual memory.

...Are you running the patch? It fixed a repetitive crash for me...

...Virtualdub and DirectX are real issues. I'm having problems with DX9.0C at the moment.

...What else is running on your machine while you play? Turn off peer-to-peer sharing, as well as any unneeded programs.

...Have you checked for spyware and other malware using Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, and HiJack This? It's entirely possible that some third-party app may be causing you problems.

...You may want to try a fresh install of W&W. It's possible there could be a corrupt file (although not guaranteed, by any means). Be sure to save your SaveGame directory and roster.dat files so you have your current party information for the reload.

That should be enough for a start... check it out and let's see where we get to from there.

[ 09-12-2004, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: Bungleau ]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote