Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2002, 07:59 AM   #1
*\Conan/*
Red Dragon

...A drink to good health.
Daily consumption of alcohol has been shown to help prevent heart disease and strokes, may also help ward off Alzheimers disease and other types of dementia, a new study says.

The study , published this week in the Lancet medical journal, also found that it doesn't seem to matter what people drink. The finding adds to a growing body of evidence for the health benefits of moderate drinking, defined as one to three drinks a day.

Scientists at Erasmus University in Rotterdam conducted a six-year study of 5,395 people age 55 and older who did not have signs of dementia. By the end of the study, 197 of the participants had developed Alzhemers or another form of dementia. Those who fared best drank one to three drinks a day. They had a 42% lower risk of dementia than the non-drinkers. Those who weren't daily drinkers but had more than one drink per week had a 25% lower risk and those who drank less than a glass a week were 18% less likely than non-drinkers to develope dementia.

Researchers suggested the blood-thining and choleserol-lowering properties of ethanol in alcoholic drinks may ward off dementia, which is often caused by a blood vessel problem. Another possibility is that low levels of alcohol could stimulate the release of acetylcholine, a brain chemical believed to facilitate learning and memeory. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: *\Conan/* ]

Old 01-25-2002, 08:35 AM   #2
MagiK

Its been common knowledge for a few years now that a daily glass of Red Wine helps prevent many health problems....All things in moderation...it isn't untill you get into gluttony that they become a problem [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-25-2002, 09:30 AM   #3
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Yeah Ive heard of that, i don't think theres anyone who hasnt.

Do I know you? I knew a guy on Myth II who went by the name Conan and he had a younger silbling named Chohan...

I sond suppose your the elder brother eh?
Old 01-25-2002, 10:16 AM   #4
*\Conan/*
Red Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by /)eathKiller:

Do I know you? I knew a guy on Myth II who went by the name Conan and he had a younger silbling named Chohan...

I sond suppose your the elder brother eh?

Not me /)eathKiller.
Old 01-25-2002, 10:26 AM   #5
Sorcerer Alex

Trust us dutchies to come up with such interesting statistics - and ones that show that drinking is actually good for you. I may criticise my country sometimes, but our scientific research cannot be faulted

Old 01-25-2002, 07:05 PM   #6
LennonCook
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:
Trust us dutchies to come up with such interesting statistics - and ones that show that drinking is actually good for you. I may criticise my country sometimes, but our scientific research cannot be faulted

but who discovered Penacilin ?? and invented the Black Box Flight Recorder ?? And one of the most effective versions of the clothes line ?? And the word 'bugga' ??

3 words...

AUSSIE
AUSSIE
AUSSIE !!!

Old 01-31-2002, 06:51 AM   #7
Donut
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:

but who discovered Penacilin ?? and invented the Black Box Flight Recorder ?? And one of the most effective versions of the clothes line ?? And the word 'bugga' ??

3 words...

AUSSIE
AUSSIE
AUSSIE !!!

Lennoncook, the depths of your lack of knowledge never ceases to amaze me. Penicillin was invented by Alexander Fleming, who was a Scotsman.

[ 01-31-2002: Message edited by: Donut ]

[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 01-31-2002, 07:12 AM   #8
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

quote:
Originally posted by Donut:

Lennoncook, the depths of your lack of knowledge never ceases to amaze me. Penicillin was invented by Alexander Fleming, who was a Scotsman.

ROFL! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Er Lennon when you try to be patriotic for Aussie at least know you ARE talking about Australia at the time. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2002, 10:51 AM   #9
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Sigh - Mr Cook, that was another case of leading with the chin methinks. Donut has you dead to rights - Fleming discovered penicillin - the guy you are thinking of is Howard Florey, who headed the research team that developed the mould into a usable antibacterial drug.

Colourful attempt though .
Old 01-31-2002, 03:00 PM   #10
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Er, could be wrong, but havent the french been using that "One glass of wine a day" thing for YEARS?

BTW:

Who invented a Windows, a program you are probley using right now, as well as numerous major companys from all over the world. I belive it was an AMERICAN fronm the northwest.

Who invented cars?

Who discovered electristy? I guess he could be considered British though.

Who invented the Light Bulb?

List goes on.