Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2002, 06:28 AM   #1
Tyrion
Quintesson

Why do female dwarwes have beards? It dosen't look so good.
Old 10-21-2002, 06:50 AM   #2
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Question Mark

Because Bioware took "All dwarves have facial hair" a bit too literally...
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 07:23 AM   #3
TaSSaDaR
Baaz Draconian

I've read some books (IIRC, it was Dragonlance series) telling that all female dwarves have beards and are rather ugly. Heh, I don't want to be a dwarf But, surprisingly, dwarves themselves think their femmies are the best
Old 10-21-2002, 07:53 AM   #4
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
Because Bioware took "All dwarves have facial hair" a bit too literally...
Read pratchett. Specificaly "The Truth", but he mentions it elsewhere as well.

Im sure there are plenty of more canonical references to it as well.
Old 10-21-2002, 07:53 AM   #5
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

Because they couldn't be bothered to make a seperate set of avatars for them. (The paper dolls doesn't have any beards).

There is no avatar for female gnomish wizards either.

I have heard that it is impossible to create new avatars (you must replace existing ones). Otherwise it could be a great community effort to supply the graphics.
Old 10-21-2002, 10:25 AM   #6
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by TaSSaDaR:
I've read some books (IIRC, it was Dragonlance series) telling that all female dwarves have beards and are rather ugly. Heh, I don't want to be a dwarf But, surprisingly, dwarves themselves think their femmies are the best
well, from a dwarf point of view what fun is a woman without a beard, you've got nothing to hold onto while doing... nm.......

it is mentioned in alot of places, and I was really irritated by Ed Greenwood when I read the Forgotten Realms boxed set and it said most female dwarves shaved, GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.... but regardless it's one of the reasons why few people ever identified female dwarves in Tolkiens LotR, and is mentioned in most of the canon TSR books.
Old 10-21-2002, 12:36 PM   #7
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgeruat:

it is mentioned in alot of places, and I was really irritated by Ed Greenwood when I read the Forgotten Realms boxed set and it said most female dwarves shaved, GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.... but regardless it's one of the reasons why few people ever identified female dwarves in Tolkiens LotR, and is mentioned in most of the canon TSR books.
It could be a cultural thing. In some Dwarven cultures, females shaving may be the norm.

[ 10-21-2002, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 04:45 PM   #8
Deximus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Morgeruat - in the appendixes for LOTR i think it is mentioned that female dwarves usually travel in disguise as male dwarves, and thats why they are few people ever identified them

Deximus
Deximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 06:18 PM   #9
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by pritchke:
It could be a cultural thing. In some Dwarven cultures, females shaving may be the norm.
It's a touchy question--I'm thinking of adding a Female Dwarven Fighter/Thief (or possibly a Swashbuckler), and having to add a beard to this picture --->
might just be more trouble than it's worth. Then again, bearding her would add credence to the "When not at home, females pose as males" thing. After all, she is rather flat-chested....oh never mind.

And depending on her facial hair, I'll have to play with both the Male and Female sets of Dwarven and Gnomish avatars & paperdolls.

Just for the heck of it, here's the "After" version of the pic for my Duergar Cleric:
Old 10-21-2002, 07:09 PM   #10
Jim
Quintesson

You just try playing Neverwinter Nights (and it's not just dwarves)! Even if you make a really saucy female elven warrior you can still see all the stubble. Horrific!

SoS:
Duergar looking good (did that dwarf used to be ginger?!)
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote