Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2006, 08:49 AM   #1
Target
Red Dragon

Hello,
I've just been given Guildwars Factions, has anyone played it? I've not even heard of it before. Id it good?
Cheers

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:11 PM   #2
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

MMORPG Forum
That's where this belongs.
And yes, the game is good. Great even. Almst perfect, but Prophecies and Nightfall are a tad bit better.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:33 PM   #3
Target
Red Dragon

THat's good. I shall look forward to playing, just need to update the computer a bit!!

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:48 AM   #4
Jorath Calar
Harper

If I had time and inclination to play a mmorpg this would be it. Heard someone describe it as WoW for adults... with brains

[ 12-22-2006, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Jorath Calar ]
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 11:30 AM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Hardly a fair statement. While I grow tired of the GW vs. WoW stuff, it seems the assumptions just keep popping, so I am forced to shed some light. I don't know why people here seem to want to knock WoW so much, being that it's the most successful MMO in the world and all. It's not like it's EQ1.

The quests in GW all have arrows pointing exactly where to go. No matter what you have to do or where it is you just follow the green arrow. That doesn't exactly require alot of thinking. Even when you are searching for items on a quest, of course there is our friendly green arrow telling you where you will miraculously find said item, punctuated by a large green star when you get close. So much for using your brains and so much for any sense of adventure. It doesn't take a genius to realize you can just run past the randomly spawning monsters (which are usually the exact same type of creature again and again) and just run toward your "lost" treasure.

Atop this, much of what you see and may feel the need to praise in GW was taken from WoW. Blizzard implemented things that had never been seen in an MMO before and a while later GW would suddenly have it in. I noticed it myself because I was playing GW and WoW at the same time. There was an article I read that showed the timeline of features added into WoW and compared them to when they were put into GW. There is no argument and anyone who has played both WoW and GW knows this point is true.

The PvP in GW is basically is a mish-mash of buffing and debuffing, dispelling and recasting. That is the mechanic to it.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:27 PM   #6
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

The quests don't matter, the battles matter. In GW, skills of the player as well as the character actually matter, in WoW it's just Tier4 equipment>Tier3 equipment. And since most of the monsters run at the same speed you do, you can't really run past them.
And what, praytell, is that? What exactly was taken from WoW, and what new thing did Blizzard implement into WoW? I've played both WoW and GW, and I know that point to be false.
The PvP in GW is all in recognizing situations, and reacting accordingly. And doing it fast. In WoW it's, as I said, Tier X> Tier X-1.

Oh and BTW, Linky.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:36 PM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Sure you can run past them! The aggro wears off after a bit and that with Mending or some kind of regen on you it equals safety. I did it just the other day!

You haven't played enough of WoW if you think that PvP is all gear oriented. To explain it i'd have to explain the whole PvP system. Suffice to say that Horde win more games due to skill despite Alliance often being better geared.

As far as GW taking things from WoW I can't believe someone would argue it. There is so much crap that in that article I read they actually quoted a GW designer in an interview saying something to the effect of "Yes, we took some elements that seem to work in other MMO's and made them our own" He then went on to respond to a question about WoW vs. GW and said he liked the game (WoW) and actually got some great ideas from Blizzard. It was on a Blogspace, similiar to the EQ2 one I posted a while back. This isn't my issue per se, since we actually depend on games to copy what was done right and drop what was done wrong by their predecessors. It makes for op-to-date and streamlined games. My issue is people knocking a game that clearly brought more to the MMO plate than any game ever has, and then praising another game for their "original" ideas. Please. The fact that someone would argue this point is insanity.

Again the PvP point is moot since it is based on a false pretense. WoW PvP is of course acting accordingly to situations, but unlike GW you can use all your abilities and spells. Plus you actually have to move in WoW, you can't just click on an enemy to autofollow them. Plus it isn't all based on whether or not you can remove conditions or not. Or whether you can outheal the conditions placed on you.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:40 PM   #8
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Btw, I have links too.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/world...ft/review.html

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/guild...rs%20nightfall

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/guild...ars%20factions
Old 12-22-2006, 02:56 PM   #9
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

By those links, all I see is that Guild Wars and Nightfall have the same You Say grade as WoW. Wich is a defeat, actually.
So please, back up your point. What exactly has GW taken directly from WoW, and what new thing did WoW introduce?
P.S.
You haven't played enough of GW if you think that PvP is all based on whether or not you can remove conditions or not. To explain it I'd have to explain the whole PvP system. Suffice to say, skill wins versus skill, because there's next to no gear grind.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:13 PM   #10
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

But we all know how "You say" reviews go, just look at Amazon.com with their reviews before games are even out. Plus it only has 88 reviews where wow has 1440. The proportional positive is higher. WoW is also scored higher than both by the critics which is what I wanted to point out.

There are at least 5 other reviews I could find with WoW in front that I can think of offhand, all on known sites. It is far more successful than GW is, are you arguing this too? Plus Nightfall was only released this year, WoW was released 2 years ago and still going strong with no expansions yet!

Again, I don't have the link to that article but I know it was on a GW forum at one point too so maybe someone else has it. I will look for it during the week though, nothing a mosey in the forums can't fix. But just to calrify, I take it you stick by your point then, that GW is all original stuff and (dare I say) the Devs of GW never said such a thing in an interview?

P.S. While were calling each other on points and how much we have played GW, how is it that you didn't know you can run past mobs, lol. Suffice to say I am suspicious . You are a closet WoW player really aren't you?