Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2006, 03:29 PM   #1
crpgnut
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Okay I bought this for my Mom when it came out. She died a few years ago and I remember that I had a good time helping her figure out some of the battles and puzzles. I like to play games fairly straight but I don't mind a small exploit if it makes the game more fun. Is it possible to play W&W straight without using guild-hopping, inn gold, etc? I've played the first outdoor areas, the crypt and the toads and just arrived in Ishad N'ha. I seem to be out of money almost constantly and I've only switched classes on a few characters. I'm using a party consisting of:

Tiger Warrior/Samurai
Dwarf Warrior/Paladin
Elephant Priest
Elephant Wizard/Warlock (for identifying stuff)
Ratling Rogue (for good loot and lockpicking)
Faery Wizard (seems like a Wizard needs to level quite high if they want decent spells)

Is this a finishable party?

The pixie outdamages all other characters combined. She has 172 kills and my next closest is 66 with the Wiz/Warlock.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:20 PM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the boards, crpgnut!!!

Yes, it is very possible to play the game without guild hopping and the inn gold trick - in fact it is possible to play the game with Peasants!! (read Bungleau's threads about his peasant game - the related threads are all on the first page here).

One of the really good things about W&W is just about any party is playable. Sometimes it takes a little while to accumulate the gold you need and the experience you need but as the game progresses your characters will too! In fact I can't think of an unplayable party. We've had a number of players do solo games - just one character - which can cause certain difficulties but there are generally ways to work around any give problem.

Do keep us posted on how your game it going!!

Sorry about the loss of your mom!!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:17 PM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Welcome to the boards, crpgnut! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] May you soon find reward with your travels in the Gael Serran.

You certainly can play without cheating. Generally, it's up to you and your self-restraint, and your definition of what a cheat is

Later on, you can get a ranger with fletchery, who will make arrows in his spare time. Selling those is probably the "cleanest" way of making lots of gold... fletchery was part of the original game design, and you can fletch magic arrows as well as regular ones. There's a really good market for Dragon Arrows blessed to 11 or 12 damage... [img]graemlins/twocents.gif[/img]

Most CRPGs make the game harder by making gold harder to come by. W&W is no exception, really... if you're shy on gold, you're in serious trouble. I use arbitrage, which involves buying magic arrows for one price and selling them for a higher price. It's quite profitable, but as you can see in the peasant game, it doesn't help a whole heck of a lot. They're still getting slaughtered... and we're almost halfway through the game!

My first time through, I didn't know about any of the cheats or other things. My characters still finished as demi-gods.

I eventually found record of the cheats here, but aside from guild-hopping and arbitrage, I generally ignore them. I played with the "dropping items in stores" cheat last game, but it's pretty much pointless; if you're going to do that as much as I was, you might as well just use the character editor and set things where you want them.

I'll echo Wyvern... keep us posted on your game! There are always interesting things going on... we'd love to hear about them.

And I'll echo my sympathies on your mom's passing. The fact that you bought W&W for her says that she was a very unique and special person.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:36 AM   #4
crpgnut
Elite Waterdeep Guard

On my Mom:

In 1979 I picked up a game called Dungeons and Dragons at the University of Illinois. It became very popular at school and I wanted to try out DMing before running a campaign. Mom created a whole party using character names from Tolkein and we both became "fantasy freaks" from that time until I moved out of the house. When computers came out we bought a Vic20/C64/IBM and started playing Collosal Caves,Quest, and finally the SSI games: Questron, Phantasie, etc. We always had something to talk about on the phone because we'd play crpgs at the same time. She was a very good friend, who just happened to be my Mom too.

She was a smoker though, and she got pancreatic cancer. This generally kills very fast but we got almost two years with her because she went into remission for 19 months. Once the cancer ramped up again she was gone in 2 months.

P.S. Did you guys notice my register date? [img]smile.gif[/img] I'm a lurker.

[ 09-12-2006, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: crpgnut ]
Old 09-12-2006, 09:46 AM   #5
Law
Dungeon Master

I can second (or third) what the others have said. It is possible to complete the game with the group you have with no "cheats".

I have played (and finished) the game with only 4 characters (one each of the basic classes) with no use of the guilds and items from the stores at all. I did use the temple for healing in the early game until the priest got all the healing and cure spells.

So you can play it with a lot of money or with only what they earn themselves. I have done it both ways.

As you have noticed, in the early game, the wizard is the strongest class.
Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:01 AM   #6
crpgnut
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've kinda decided to scrap this party and go much more magic heavy. My goal will be to create characters that can switch to spells very quickly. I'll probably try Samurai, Paladin, Priest, Rogue, Wizard, Wizard. Is it feasible to use the Paladin as the only healer? I might try Samurai, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Wizard, Wizard.
Choices, choices, choices....

A few questions:

If you don't start a rogue character, is there any way to get traps and locks skill without traveling to Ishad N'ha?

I like looking at maps after I've completed a dungeon to see if I've missed anything. I downloaded the all-maps file. Is that the best set of maps available online? Many, many links are dead that are referenced in earlier threads [img]smile.gif[/img]

The manual says that dexterity is the primary factor in determining whether a lock/trap can be picked. The in-game help file says that intelligence is the main statistic that determines success. Which seems to be true? In my very slight experience, intelligence SEEMS to be way more important.

One last thing: I'm the type of player who will roll all night trying to get the best scores. This is boring, but I like to start out tough. Has anyone made a set of roster.dat files that have legitimately rolled characters that got good scores? If so, feel free to email them to my nick at good old yahoo dot com [img]smile.gif[/img]

I rolled for two hours last night and I have two whole characters from it.

[ 09-12-2006, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: crpgnut ]
Old 09-12-2006, 10:55 AM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Almost any party will be god-like by the end of the game. I'd finish with your current party, and then try again with a magic-heavy one. And remember... the first time through is always the hardest.

That being said...

1. You don't need a rogue at the start. Convert a warrior to barbarian, and she can gain the traps and locks skill. That's all you need.

2. Did you check out bsftcs' maps in the sticky thread at the top of the forum? He identified the places where there are secret rooms in the game.

3. Personally, I don't see where either INT or DEX have an impact. Your traps and locks skill... *THAT* has an impact. Lightfingers, my peasant rogue, has no INT and little (less than 6) dex. Yet most of the chests in Shurugeon Castle and the Stout Mines were easy or in rare cases, moderate.

INT is used for determining mana points at level up and for determining skill points. You get one skill point for every four points of INT.

And 4: I understand, and I've done it before, and it's really pointless. I think Radek determined once that if your attribute points total 85 or above, you got a good roll. Since you get points at level up, then you'll soon be at that higher skill that you want. If I were going to spend an hour rolling up each character, I'd use the roster editor, give myself what I consider a good starting score, and go from there.

I do have the peasants that I can email you, but they're the opposite of "best scores"

Keep us posted either way [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Old 09-12-2006, 12:26 PM   #8
crpgnut
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
2. Did you check out bsftcs' maps in the sticky thread at the top of the forum? He identified the places where there are secret rooms in the game.

These posts have invalid links. I get the "dreaded red x" of deadlinking.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:33 PM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hey, Wyv... I just checked, and it looks like you were hosting those maps at the border collie rescue site. They were in a wnw directory that's no longer there. Do you still have them? I can throw them in my Photobucket account if needed.

And bsftcs, if you happen into this before we get these up, send 'em my way and we'll get crpgnut going [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Old 09-12-2006, 01:08 PM   #10
crpgnut
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I was amazed at how much of the crypts I had missed in my first playthrough. There are a ton of side passages up near Scabban that I never even saw the first time. Thanks to whomever added -light=16 to the command line options [img]smile.gif[/img]