Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 04-15-2005, 05:45 PM   #1
Refluxe
Elite Waterdeep Guard

***WARNING: THIS TOPIC WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS***

Well, to liven this section up a little I'll ask you lot what your favourite chapter and area is in Icewind Dale II and of course, why. If you want, include the Chapter you didn't particularly enjoy as well.

My favourite Chapter has to be four. The Black Raven Monastery is tons of fun (Except those nasty Iron Golems in the Tomb, they're tough). However, what I really enjoy is the Underdark. Some of the best fights, merchants and creatures lie down here and the atmosphere is brilliant. The Drider Lair is full of cool creatures I didn't think I'd see in Icewind Dale II. Although the Z'hinda Citadel isn't incredibly great, meeting Oswald at the end of the chapter makes up for it!
My second favourite has to be Chapter One as I think that it has the best fights in the entire game. The Shaengarne Bridge and Goblin Horde Fortress specifically, not to mention the fun in the Goblin Warrens.

On the other hand, the chapter I wasn't too keen on is most definitely two. The crash site was all good but the Ice Wall and Ice Temple got a little boring. Killing the same Aurilite postulants or whatever over and over can prove a little tedious. The Battle Square had too many battles! I liked Nathaniel and Nickademus though...

What about you?
Old 04-16-2005, 09:34 AM   #2
Magness
Quintesson

I mostly agree with your assessment, Refluxe.

I liked the entire underdark, including the mindflayer citadel. I really liked chapter one.

I don't mind chapter 2 as much as some people, but I don't like Battle Squares and always use the Ease of Use sub-mod that lets you skip it, while getting the treasure, XP, and credit for completing it. I liked the challenge battles that were in Durlag's dungeon (BG1 expansion) and in the Watcher's Keep's bottom level (BG2-TOB) better. Fewer battles with a wider variety.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 12:55 PM   #3
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

On the skip battle square mod, you only gain experience for one completed level, not all.
And yep, I also loved chapter 4, second favorite is the Endgame. IWD2 is one of those rare games where the end fight isn't ten times harder or easier, but follows the game difficulty curve.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:57 PM   #4
Marathon
Elminster

I liked chapter one the best, followed by 4. I really liked the first big fight coming at you in 3 waves without a chance to rest. This was one of the first games I played after getting back into gaming a few years back, and after that I was hooked.
Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 05:17 AM   #5
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

THe last chapter is my favorite, or maybe teh one with
SPOILERS

THe yuan ti stronghold where they all attack you after you kill them in Chult... sorry, I can't rmember what chapter it is right now.
. The first is possibly my least favorite.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 11:20 AM   #6
Refluxe
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Finally, a few more responses.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dragonshadow:
THe yuan ti stronghold where they all attack you after you kill them in Chult... sorry, I can't rmember what chapter it is right now.
That's Chapter 5, right after Kuldahar.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:38 PM   #7
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

My favorite Chapter has to be four. The Underdark is unique and we get to revisit some of the more notorious characters from IWD. The Black Raven Monastery is also inspiring.

My worst I think is chapter 5, Dragon's Eye at least I think Dragon's Eye is chapter 5, with the annoying time warp, and bugs that can ruin your game if you don't have previous saves. Some things are best not to be revisited.

[ 04-18-2005, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 03:01 PM   #8
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Ditto with Pritchke. I thought the Underdark was very fun, especially if you have the "siege of Malavon's Citadel". Also, I didn't enjoy Dragon's Eye due to it being annoyingly similar to the first game (Severed hand was different enough).
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:34 AM   #9
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

All right then. my favorite chapter is chapter 5.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 02:51 AM   #10
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

The prelude, The atmosphere in it gave me very very good impression to continue playing this game. the final battle is nice, 3 waves and no rest in between. Also after you destroy them the townfolks will call you heroes! the saviour! I felt really appreciated.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote