Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 04:51 PM   #11
trist007
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Don't worry about the delay. I'm in no hurry. I can't even get that far. As soon as I execute the shortcut, it loads up, starts the intro music and minimizes out to the desktop. It never gets to the part where I can select new game, options, etc. It just has Deep6 program running on the taskbar and I get a black screen if I click it. I tried alt-tabbing and cntrl-f1 but I still only get the black screen.
trist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 05:02 PM   #12
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Silly question -

Have you ever tried to run the game NOT from the shortcut but directly from the folder/exe file??

Don't know why that would make any difference but thought the question should be asked.
Wyvern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 10:13 PM   #13
trist007
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yeah tried it. I did it with and without all the compatibilities and still there's no change. Feel free to say that I'm screwed if I truly am.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:44 PM   #14
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmmm.... interesting. For reference, alt-tab will kill your W&W session. Avoid it at all costs, once the game starts...

Okay, let's look in a different place. What are the salient points of all three Properties tabs on the icon? Specifically...

==> General:Advanced
==> Shortcut: Run, Advanced options
==> Compatibility: all settings

I'm also going to suggest uninstalling and doing a manual install as Administrator. Perhaps there's something funky going on in the installation process. You can find steps on a manual install in the Tech Tips thread.

Finally, I'm curious about file sizes, dates, and versions. In particular, for Deep6, although I may have a couple of other curious things.

And really lastly, if you want to send me the installation log file, I'll compare it to mine and see if there's anything strange. It's INSTALL.LOG in the W&W main directory. You can send it via PM, or email me the file.

Where did you get your copy of the game? I know there are some new versions out there (some classic game re-release thing) and I wonder if there are issues with it.

We'll see what we can do...

*edit* Just thought of one more thing. After it blows up, can you look in the Windows Event Viewer to see if there are any entries related to Deep6? Or something else at the time you're running it? That may offer another clue. If you need details on getting to the EV logs, let me know.

[ 08-15-2005, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: Bungleau ]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 12:52 AM   #15
trist007
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok I will avoid alt-tab. One thing I noticed, if I reinstall the game, I get to see the intro movie, but right after the window minimizes to the desktop. If I try running it again after the first time, the window minimizes right after I double-click on the shortcut. I guess it's cause the INTROOFF.DAT file wasn't created until after the first attempt. Either way, I was never prompted for a selection in resolution and graphics acceleration. I will email you a copy of my install.txt log file. Anyhow, the salient points are as follows:

General-Advanced

[Checked]
File is ready for archiving
For fast searching, allow Indexing Service to index this file

[Unchecked]
Compress contents to save disk space
Encrypt contents to secure data

Shortcut-Advanced

[Checked]
Run in separate memory space

[Unchecked]
Run with different credentials

Compatibility all settings

[Checked]
Run this progam in compatibility mode for win95
Run in 640x480 screen resolution

[Unchecked]
Run in 256 colors
Disable visual themes
Turn off advanced text services for this program

As for the Deep6 program, it is 2.19mb and the file was created on sat, august 26, 2000 at 6:27:20 AM. I bought this game off ebay. The cd case is by XPLOSIV. I have not installed the patch yet.

I will send you a copy of my install.txt log file via email. I'm unfamiliar with windows event viewer, could you hit me off with a few pointers on that? I really appreciate this. Even if we don't resolve the issue, I'm learning alot about utilizing win xp. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 08-16-2005, 12:58 AM: Message edited by: trist007 ]
Old 08-16-2005, 10:18 AM   #16
trist007
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I just installed this game on my old computer 333mhz pII win98 and it ran. Everything runs fine except for the fact that it runs TOO DAMN SLOW hehe. Oh well, if we can't get it to work on my new puter, at least I'll have the comfort in knowing I can play it on my old puter.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:06 AM   #17
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I saw your email with the log file. I'll have to look later tonight when I get onto my home machine, and it will probably be later on (got a meeting this evening). But I'll give it a once-over, including the Deep6 stuff.

I believe that Xplosiv was the company that rereleased W&W within the last couple of years. The original publisher was Activision, and it was developed by Heuristic Park. So I may also ask for a few other file sizes once I get into it here.
-+-+-+
Old 08-16-2005, 11:09 AM   #18
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by trist007:
I just installed this game on my old computer 333mhz pII win98 and it ran. Everything runs fine except for the fact that it runs TOO DAMN SLOW hehe. Oh well, if we can't get it to work on my new puter, at least I'll have the comfort in knowing I can play it on my old puter.
Well, that's one solution!

Glad you were able to get it to run on something!! It is a fun game and worth playing but it is so "old" (in game years) that it takes some fiddling around to get it to run properly on newer and better computers.
Wyvern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:09 PM   #19
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

Hi Trist
This forum has helped me out on a number of occasions with W&W. I have always managed to overcome any problems that I have had.
I think that there may be a problem with xp sp2. I have just installed W&W again after a reformat & fresh intallation using sp2 & I am having troubles. I will be running it on another thread so keep an eye on it in case it applies to you as well.
good luck.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:18 AM   #20
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I'm running XP Home SP2, and it's not causing me the same grief. But see my responses on the other thread...

And Tristan, I emailed you with my analysis of your install.log file.
-+-+-+