Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 03-20-2004, 07:45 PM   #1
Ragash
The Magister

Hey all!

First post on this board.. I think, have I been here before?

Anyway, I bought Wizards and Warriors at the release of the game and started playing and liking it. Then I got to some frog village and this dumb frog decided to get in my way in a really narrow tunnel and I couldn't get past him. I think I was supposed to go that way to talk to the froggy chief or something. I sobbed a bit and started a new party thinking my savegame was corrupted or something. It wasn't, since the same thing happened with the new party.

At that time there was no patch to be had, so I stopped playing. After a few months I accidentally came across the patch and in the release notes it said it fixed the problem with the frog in the tunnel. I was extatic and installed the game yet again and patched it. Created a party, started playing... and couldn't get out of town. I could click on any door and get into any building, but the town gates weren't working. I never got around that problem, so sadly I put the game away again.

Now, a loooong time later, I was digging around among my old games prowling for classics to play through again. After failing to get the M&M series running, I found the W&W discs. I am now HELL BENT on getting the game to work and play through it. Judging from the very elaborate troubleshooting post on this forum I take it that the game DOES have its problems, but since you guys apparently enjoy it I take it it's not impossible to overcome.

The reason for this extremely long and tedious post (sorry) is that I wanted a topic where I could toss in my problems for you guys to solve

I also want some tips for party creation and development. Which classes are good to start with? How should I advance them and such? I realise and agree that the game will be far more enjoyable the more I discover on my own, but a few pointers to get me started would be muchly appreciated. That way all your experience won't go to waste. See, I'm doing this for you people [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Thanks and sorry again for the long post [img]smile.gif[/img]
Ragash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 09:24 PM   #2
Ragash
The Magister

Right, I've been plodding through the forum for an hour or so now, and I can't find a solution for my problem.

I'm running on XP getting an application error saying

"The instruction at 00423dba referenced memory at 022f4000
The memory could not be written

Click on OK to terminate the application"

As far as I have been able to discern from other posters it's an error that occurs in Win2000/XP, correct? And it can theoretically be circumvented running in Win95 compatibility mode, right? That ain't working for me, unfortunately. I also caught glimpse of a few tips regarding VirtualDub and changing swap sizes and stuff, but would that help against this kind of application error?

I actually got as far as past the intro movie once when I started the game without the play CD in the drive. An in-game dialog box popped up and told me to insert it and the intro played through before the whole thing went down.

Wonder if a no-cd patch would help [img]tongue.gif[/img]

EDIT: Don't know what came over me, but I tried using a no-cd patch. Didn't work

[ 03-20-2004, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: Ragash ]
Old 03-20-2004, 10:07 PM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Welcome to the Gael Serran, Ragash! May you find it every bit as enjoyable as Dominus, and more...

Read the Tech Tips thread and look at the Win2k/WinXP items. You do need to do the virtualdub thing to get out of town (although Willow and someone else recently came across a place where you can get good codecs). And the compatibility mode thing is important as well -- it corrects a few other things. Make sure as well that you're running as few other applications as possible -- someone else ran into issues with... KaZaa, I think it was, that caused W&W to blow up. Stop KaZaa, and no more problems.

So the basic things I would suggest are:

1. Virtualdub the town avi files

2. Put compatibility mode on the executable (deep6.exe) and the link you're using to run it (yeah, I'm obsessive)

3. Make sure your virtual memory is a fixed size, around 2-3 times your actual memory. No "Let Windows Manage" stuff -- trust me.

4. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your sound and vid cards.

5. Make sure your system is defragged -- it can make a difference.

Use that as a starting point, and if you're still having trouble, post back with your system specs and so on. Everything about your system, including patches, driver levels, social security number, and mother's maiden name, can help. Okay, so the last two can't help with the game, but they could be enjoyable

We'll get you going. We haven't been stopped yet... [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

If you have Win2k or XP,
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 07:09 AM   #4
bsftcs
Red Dragon

And a very warm welcome to the board from me as well. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

I have heard of cases where the patch did not fix the stuck toad bug. If that happens to you, you should know there are other well-proved methods of circumventing the toad. Both bloody and peaceful. [img]smile.gif[/img] Remember almost any problem can be solved by the ingenuity of Stackman.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:19 AM   #5
Ragash
The Magister

Thanks for the welcome, guys [img]smile.gif[/img] I'll get back to fiddling with W&W in a few hours, just popped in to check on replies!
Old 03-21-2004, 01:15 PM   #6
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, Ragash!!!

I see you've been given the basics on how to get your game going. While W&W does have a few bugs here and there they can be solved and the game is well worth playing! The fact that this board stays so active so long after the release date of this game is evidence of how good a game it is!

We have some excellent techie posters on this board who put together the great Tech Tips thread which gives solutions to all the most common problems. They've helped so many people, I've lost count (zillions!)!

Hope you are playing trouble free now but you know there are friendly answers to be found here!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 05:20 PM   #7
Ragash
The Magister

Right, I went into the virtual memory settings and set them to 1GB minimum and 2GB maximum.. I figured that was a reasonable range [img]tongue.gif[/img] Still wouldn't work. Is it what you meant I should do? Now I'm sitting here with the townavi files open in VirtualDub, but I just realised I don't know what to do with them either [img]smile.gif[/img] I'm supposed to extract them in some manner right? I don't know how this is supposed to help with getting the game to start up properly, but I'll try anything.

Now for the goodies, I think it's time...

Intel P4 2.53GHz ... latest intel chipset drivers for the mobo
1GB RAM
Radeon 9800 pro with latest drivers
Soundblaster Live with latest drivers
DirectX 9.0

If you want more info, just ask. I check the board regularly. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for helping out, I really need to play the damn game. I feel like I'm missing out on something [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Ah, yeah.. compatibility modes are on both the .exe file and the shortcut. Tried starting the game without using the shortcut too.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:45 PM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Set your max and minimum virtual memory settings to the same amount. That is more effective than a variable setting. If you've got a gig of memory, I'd probably set it to 1.5GB. I just can't see a reason for 2-3GB of virtual on a home PC... I just can't [img]smile.gif[/img]

What you do with virtualdub is (once again) explained in the Tech Tips thread. You are decompressing the video files so they work properly. What you do is open VirtualDub, pass in the file, and save it in uncompressed format. You'll need to save it under a different name than the original. You can't save it as itself. After you're done, move the original files somewhere else (in case you need it back), and then move the new files back to the original filenames.

And if you have more problems, be sure to include details about when and where the problem happens. That helps narrow it down.

Good luck!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 12:54 AM   #9
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

You should not need compatability mode. I don't. As B pointed out, use the VDUB, then play.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 04:28 PM   #10
Ragash
The Magister

Looks like the game actually IS unplayable on my system.. I've tried changing the vmem settings, vdubbed the avi-files, tried both with compatibility mode and without, defragged the harddrive... I'm starting to plan a complete wipe of all my harddrives and installing multiple operating systems. I always liked Win98SE best anyway.

However, I'd rather just get the game running the way my computer is right now. So, if you have any more aces up your sleeves, now's the time to play them [img]smile.gif[/img]