Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Default Terrorist attack hotels in Mumbai - 183 dead hundreds injured

Terrible stuff. What is our world coming to?

Quote:
Scores killed in Mumbai rampage
  • Story Highlights
  • NEW: Five-star Taj Mahal Hotel on fire; Military reportedly enters second hotel
  • Police confirm hostages at both hotels
  • Gunmen strike at series of targets popular with tourists and business people
  • Seventy-eight reported killed, head of state's anti-terror police dies in aftermath
(CNN) -- Gunmen rampaged through a series of targets in the Indian city of Mumbai killing indiscriminately and taking hostages at two luxury hotels.

Mumbai police spokesman Satish Katsa said gunmen have taken over the Taj Mahal Hotel and Hotel Oberoi, and were holding hostages on multiple floors.

Flames and smoke poured from the Taj early Thursday, and several explosions were heard at the building.

At the Oberoi the military reportedly entered the building and a large explosion was heard shortly afterwards.

Another hostage situation was unfolding at Cama Hospital, CNN's sister network in India, CNN-IBN reported.

Earlier, A.N. Roy, the police chief of Maharashtra state, said there were ongoing battles at the two five-star hotels. iReport.com: Are you there?

One witness told local reporters that gunmen tried to find people with U.S. or British passports and took about 15 of them hostage.

Andrew Stevens, a CNN anchor who was staying at the Taj with a CNN crew, estimated about half the hotel's guests were Westerners. Watch flames pour from the Taj Mahal Hotel »

British businessman Alan Jones told CNN.com how he was about to get out of an elevator in the Oberoi when another guest was shot.

"A bullet hit one of the Japanese men in the back of the leg. Flesh and blood splattered everywhere." Read Alan Jones' story

IBN, quoting police sources, reported hostages were taken at the both hotels.

Gunmen armed with automatic weapons and grenades hit nine sites including the hotels, a cafe, a hospital and a train station in coordinated attacks, police say.

Maharashtra state government spokesman Bhushan Gagrani said 78 people were killed and about 200 wounded, while police confirmed 26 deaths.

Among the dead is the head of the Maharashtra state's anti-terror squad, who apparently died in the violent aftermath of the attacks rather than being a target for the killers.

Two suspected militants were gunned down and nine suspects had been arrested, Gagrani said. Three people were detained for questioning from one of the hotels, he added.
Watch the chaos as gunmen hit numerous targets »

Sajjad Karim, associated with a group of European lawmakers attending an upcoming EU-India summit, told The Associated Press that he was in the main lobby of the Taj Mahal Hotel when "there was all of a sudden a lot of firing outside."

As he tried to get away, he told the AP: "Another gunmen appeared in front of us, carrying machine gun-type weapons. And he just started firing at us. ... I just turned and ran in the opposite direction."

Video showed scenes of chaos, with people crowding Mumbai's streets, some helping others who appeared to be wounded. Watch scenes of destruction »

The attacks began about 2230 local time (1700 GMT) and more than two hours later witnesses were reporting new explosions and gunfire.

A group called Deccan Mujahideen claimed responsibility, IBN reported, but analysts told CNN that may be a front name to throw investigators off who was really behind the attacks.

The targets include businesses frequented by international visitors in the city which is India's financial center.

A local journalist told CNN he had seen evidence of an attack at the city's domestic airport, which is on the outskirts of the Mumbai.
IBN reported explosions at a gas station and inside a taxi on a dockside road.

Attacks were carried out at the Taj and Oberoi hotels, the popular Café Leopold, and Cama Hospital, and the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus railway station.

Sourav Mishra, a Reuters.com reporter, was with friends at the Cafe Leopold when gunmen opened fire.

"I heard some gunshots ... Something hit me. I ran away and fell on the road. Then somebody picked me up. I have injuries below my shoulder," Mishra said from a hospital bed he was sharing with three other people.

India has suffered a number of attacks in recent years, including a string of bombs that ripped through packed Mumbai commuter trains and platforms during rush hour in July 2006. About 209 people were killed in that attack.

Last July, a series of synchronized bomb blasts in the western Indian city of Ahmedabad left 49 dead and more than 100 wounded, police said.

But Paresh Parihar, a businessman in Mumbai, described Wednesday's attacks as unlike anything he had seen.

"They really don't fear for their lives or any other activity that could put them in danger," he told CNN. "This is really a very unusual situation."

U.S. State Department spokesman Robert Wood said: "We are monitoring the situation very closely and stand ready to support the Indian authorities as they deal with this horrific series of attacks."

The U.S. has opened a telephone hotline for citizens concerned about family or friends who may be visiting or living Mumbai.

CNN's Harmeet Shah Singh contributed to this story

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapc...cks/index.html

Last edited by Memnoch; 11-26-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:20 PM   #2
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Default Re: Terrorist attack hotels in Mumbai - 80 dead so far hundreds injured

It seems to be, no matter how hard I try, folks around here cannot fathom what I speak, cannot comprehend to my experiences, or they simply choose not to believe. These types of people live, breath and train their entire lives to accomplish such a feat. Your life, my life, is nothing to them!

Call me stubborn, patriotic, or an arrogant American, it matters not. I carry for a reason, and will place a 125 grain .357 hollow point through the nasal cavity of any SOB who thinks they can do this around me. If I can't carry, then look up the Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn Combat Folder double bevel. Mine is slightly modified with a clip mounted on the inverse (bottom of the knife) so it can be carried inside my left sleeve. This allows it to be drawn down, away, opened, and brought up and into action in one swift movement of my right arm. If no sleeves, then it can easily be clipped inside the waistband, or carried in it's ballistic sheath long ways across the small of the back.

These kinds of people only know one language, and I speak it proficiently!

To pick on helpless civilian tourist in one of the most well renowned hotels in the world really gets my blood flowing.

May our thoughts be with the departed, as well as the family members left behind, and give those still in holding, a watchful angel.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:32 PM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I grieve for those who have been slaughtered in this senseless attack. I feel pity for those who think that this is the best way to get their point across.

After 9/11, when the airline crackdown on supposed weapons took place, I took inventory of what I *was* allowed to bring on the plane... and realized that I still had enough weapons to be able to defend, divert, or attack as needed.

Haven't needed to do that yet, and hope I don't have to. But I will...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:34 AM   #4
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Sheesh Felix, you really ARE The Assassin!

This is a really tough thing for me as well. I get really angry when I hear this sort of thing. It stirs emotions I would rather not bring to the surface.

I try to keep in a Christian perspective, which is one of peace and love first. It's very, very hard when I read think stuff though and it's virtually a daily read.

We have been given the freedom to do whatever we want, but judgment will come, and woe to those who commit these acts when it does.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:10 AM   #5
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix The Assassin View Post

Call me stubborn, patriotic, or an arrogant American, it matters not. I carry for a reason, and will place a 125 grain .357 hollow point through the nasal cavity of any SOB who thinks they can do this around me. If I can't carry, then look up the Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn Combat Folder double bevel. Mine is slightly modified with a clip mounted on the inverse (bottom of the knife) so it can be carried inside my left sleeve. This allows it to be drawn down, away, opened, and brought up and into action in one swift movement of my right arm. If no sleeves, then it can easily be clipped inside the waistband, or carried in it's ballistic sheath long ways across the small of the back.

These kinds of people only know one language, and I speak it proficiently!
But that's fighting fire with fire. You kill one and another takes their place because the real enemy is an ideology. I mindset. A set of values that say it's ok to kill a human to achieve your aims. By killing someone, even to protect people, you're still doing the same thing.

Ghandi proved that nonviolence was able to beat the biggest Empire of his day.
Jesus of course was the ultimate example of self-sacrifice triumphing.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 01:43 PM   #6
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
But that's fighting fire with fire. You kill one and another takes their place because the real enemy is an ideology. I mindset. A set of values that say it's ok to kill a human to achieve your aims. By killing someone, even to protect people, you're still doing the same thing.

Ghandi proved that nonviolence was able to beat the biggest Empire of his day.
Jesus of course was the ultimate example of self-sacrifice triumphing.
Tough men patrol at night to allow women, children and gentlemen to sleep in peace.
Firefighters conduct a back burn to prevent a fire from gaining more affluence.
A prison prolongs a perp from conducting a crime.
The death sentence prevents that perp from ever conducting another crime.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Last edited by Felix The Assassin; 11-27-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #7
machinehead
Drizzt Do'Urden

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell
machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:12 PM   #8
Trogdor
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinehead View Post
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell
Exactly.

While I will never condone what the $@#$#heads have done, and I hope they get what they deserve, what Yorick and machinehead have said is completely true, how can we ever hope to get anywhere if we react to violence with violence?

Now I don't know the perfect solution, I don't have any idea what will make these people stop what they do (except maybe a bullet, but that isn't solving the problem)

I guess some people just have violence and a stupid sense of "pride/honour" built into them through childhood that cannot be removed.

Shoop Da Whoop!
Linux - People aren't really interested in building their car from scratch either.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 08:20 PM   #9
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Exactly.

While I will never condone what the $@#$#heads have done, and I hope they get what they deserve, what Yorick and machinehead have said is completely true, how can we ever hope to get anywhere if we react to violence with violence?

Now I don't know the perfect solution, I don't have any idea what will make these people stop what they do (except maybe a bullet, but that isn't solving the problem)

I guess some people just have violence and a stupid sense of "pride/honour" built into them through childhood that cannot be removed.
It's programmed through repetition and iteration after iteration. It allows their family to have a small increase within their social status. As well, it provides a sense of pride to the family name. Unfortunately, this cycle has transpired for several years, and more than likely will remain a stable until all hate has been eradicated from the planet. If you can accomplish that, then you shall have complete victory.

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Old 11-27-2008, 08:28 PM   #10
wellard
Dracolisk

root cause of all this horrid death - religion (again)

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote