Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2002, 11:25 PM   #11
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:

And as for ignoring the privileges we have, may I ask where in God's name you got that from out of all of that? Not shopping on one day isn't ignoring any priviiges we have except for the ability to engage in rampant Capitalism.
Not buying anything= Not taking advantage of what America has to offer= Ignoring your privlages

*shrugs* Makes sence to me.
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 11-10-2002, 11:29 PM   #12
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Ranger:
quote:

And as for ignoring the privileges we have, may I ask where in God's name you got that from out of all of that? Not shopping on one day isn't ignoring any priviiges we have except for the ability to engage in rampant Capitalism.
Not buying anything= Not taking advantage of what America has to offer= Ignoring your privlages

*shrugs* Makes sence to me.
[/QUOTE]I'm sorry you see it that way, because I don't. It's one bloody day, not eternity, you could easily find that you'll make it! And if somehow not wanting to be thrown about in a shopping mob is unpatriotic, then guess what you can file me under?
Old 11-10-2002, 11:36 PM   #13
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

I would file you under that anyway [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I hate to tell you, but the average american (Or anyone for that matter) doesnt go on a shopping spree every day of the year. In all hoenty I havent boguht anything in a long time. The last thing I bought for my self was a pair of pants about two weeks ago. So whats the point? It really wont maek a diffrence unless the entire country does it, and that wont happen, ever.
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 11-10-2002, 11:42 PM   #14
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
I don't believe any of you have ever heard of protesting an ideal? It didn't say you shouldn't buy gifts or drive or give up any rights; it's not admitting that the merchants have 'won' anything, as it's not making a fuss, you're just not showing up. It's just one day that corporations see as a time to exploit people and their eye for a 'deal'. The people who devised this idea didn't force anyone to do it, mind you, they just suggested it. Personally, I see it as just a protest of the day I call 'Corporate Frenzy Day', on which people go completly insane in their fervor to acquire items at a slightly lower price. The gifts will still be there the next day, or will be back in stock in a week or so, so why fight the crowds?

It is not like protesting the Catholic Church for that; it is protesting the way corporates abuse our frenzy for slightly lower prices. If you don't want to do it, then don't. It's just a suggestion for anyone who may want to make a statement, albiet small, to the high-ups.

Maybe you could share how capitalism, rampant or otherwise, is abusive/unecessary/evil etc. It is a system which appears to work better than any other large scale economic system.
"Corporate Frenzy Day" Counting the day after Thanksgiving, in my business we have 17 days (total) to make holiday sales. Are these sales important? The answer is yes. It determines whether the entire quarter shows a profit or not.
Beginning the week before Thanksgiving and for the aforementioned 17 days our workforce quadruples in size. This evil corporate gimmick provides much needed part-time jobs for many people and makes a difference whether I and the people in 23 other stores, 1 warehouse, a corporate headquarters, and 2 growing concerns have jobs at all.
If you have a problem with the corruption of the meaning of our holidays or oppose the secularization of a religious holiday then be honest and address the problem openly. If you have a problem with the capitalist system be open about that as well and offer a viable alternative.
Don't insinuate that I am evil or underhanded and tell others that they need to help me to the unemployment line.
Old 11-10-2002, 11:42 PM   #15
Chewbacca
Zartan

Sounds good too me, Give up one day of shopping to demonstrate how non-materialistic we are, unless of course one is unabashingly materialistic. Besides it makes better sense to shop early if you want to avoid a crowd.

[ 11-11-2002, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 11-10-2002, 11:45 PM   #16
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Quote:
I don't believe any of you have ever heard of protesting an ideal?
Yes, I've heard of protesting ideals before. [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img] You know, that gives me an idea!

Everyone protest Buy Nothing Day! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] Sell the car! Put a second mortgage on the house! Take out all the credit cards you can and run them up to the maximum! Buy! Buy! Spend! Spend! Live the capitalist dream!

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 11-10-2002, 11:51 PM   #17
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

My family thanks you Azred.
Old 11-11-2002, 12:02 AM   #18
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

Quote:
I would file you under that anyway [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I hate to tell you, but the average american (Or anyone for that matter) doesnt go on a shopping spree every day of the year. In all hoenty I havent boguht anything in a long time. The last thing I bought for my self was a pair of pants about two weeks ago. So whats the point? It really wont maek a diffrence unless the entire country does it, and that wont happen, ever.
Well then, I guess you really didn't read it, since Buy Nothing Day would, obviously, just mean one day. Not the whole year, not even a week, not even a weekEND. One day is all it says.
Quote:
Originally posted by antyrg:
Maybe you could share how capitalism, rampant or otherwise, is abusive/unecessary/evil etc. It is a system which appears to work better than any other large scale economic system.
"Corporate Frenzy Day" Counting the day after Thanksgiving, in my business we have 17 days (total) to make holiday sales. Are these sales important? The answer is yes. It determines whether the entire quarter shows a profit or not.
Beginning the week before Thanksgiving and for the aforementioned 17 days our workforce quadruples in size. This evil corporate gimmick provides much needed part-time jobs for many people and makes a difference whether I and the people in 23 other stores, 1 warehouse, a corporate headquarters, and 2 growing concerns have jobs at all.
If you have a problem with the corruption of the meaning of our holidays or oppose the secularization of a religious holiday then be honest and address the problem openly. If you have a problem with the capitalist system be open about that as well and offer a viable alternative.
Don't insinuate that I am evil or underhanded and tell others that they need to help me to the unemployment line.
The day after Thanksgiving is proven as the busiest shopping day in the country. It's a fact. However, as I stated before, it does not say 'Buy Nothing Fortnight' or 'Buy Nothing Week'. A day. One day out of a year of 365. And as for insinuating evilness, I'd ask the same of me from all of you just because I support one event, on one day, to do one thing.

Azred, I sure didn't see that one coming. Nope. Not when I posted this thread, nor when you posted that.
Old 11-11-2002, 12:12 AM   #19
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

[quote]Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:
Quote:
[qb]I would file you under that anyway [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Well then, I guess you really didn't read it, since Buy Nothing Day would, obviously, just mean one day. Not the whole year, not even a week, not even a weekEND. One day is all it says.

I did read it correctly. But that post has nothing to do (valid anyway) with mine.

What would that prove anyway? To prove we are not materialistic? To whom? Our selfs? Some of us are, unfortantley. Overly materialistic. To the rest of the world? I am pretty sure the rest of the world, for the most part, has a pretty strong mind set that we are, and this wont change their minds.

To do prove something to big corprate people? Like I said eariler, it wont make a diffrence unless the entire coutnry participates, whitch, also like I said, will never happen.

So, I guess to put it in a nut shell, this is pretty pointless.
Old 11-11-2002, 12:28 AM   #20
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

So, you just felt like posting something that has nothing to do with the topic in reply to it, although it was in regard to the day when the most items in the country are sold? It sure looked like you were saying it in reply to the topic, even if you won't openly admit it.

And as for 'proving' anything, I didn't say anything about 'proving' we're unmaterialistic. I said that it was, in case you weren't paying attention, to protest being taken advantage of. And saying it won't do anything is why nothing ever gets done in this country; they don't think they can make a difference. Well I know it won't exactly make a colossal dent in their quarterly profits, but it would sting them a small bit if enough people participate.