Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-25-2003, 06:22 AM   #11
Link
Jack Burton

Not bills, but just lack of money here, Stormy! I want KotOR badly, but I can't really afford it..
Old 11-25-2003, 08:35 AM   #12
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

it is sad that I have my priorities straight for once, lol. a year ago, I would have bought the game with no thought for the bills, but I figured out my kids are learning from me, so I changed my thoughts, and now make my husband stick with the plan, I want to be able to get us a better place soon, so we have to save money
Old 11-25-2003, 09:13 AM   #13
KDogRex
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormymystic:
it is sad that I have my priorities straight for once, lol. a year ago, I would have bought the game with no thought for the bills, but I figured out my kids are learning from me, so I changed my thoughts, and now make my husband stick with the plan, I want to be able to get us a better place soon, so we have to save money
Damn, doesn't growing up just BITE sometimes?? I know exactly what you mean. I was unemployed for about a year a few years ago and during that time, my wife and I were living off of our credit cards. "Borrowing from Peter to pay Paul" I believe is the expression. We always had one income, but without mine, we went dreadfully into debt. 3 years later, I'm finally back into a job that pays more than (insert any part time retail chain here) and we've got a looooooong road to haul to climb back out again. We're working at it, but it can seem so unfair sometimes, I know what you're going through. Trust in the fact that if you stay true to your course, it will all be worth it in the long run, plus, NWN will drop to $20 about a week after the next expansion comes out for it!!

[ 11-25-2003, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: KDogRex ]
Old 11-25-2003, 09:33 AM   #14
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I hate bills, too.

For the last 3 months, I had to pay 150$ per months on my electricity bill to catch up with my overdue payments and I still have another 150 late to pay. That's a lot on electricity for a guy living alone.

The worse is that next month I'm only going to give them half the minimum payment so that I can upgade my computer.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:56 AM   #15
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Luvian, won't they turn off your power if you don't pay? That's what they do here!

I dunno, if I was expecting to be paid by someone and they kept not paying me what I was due, it wouldn't sit well with me! I would understand if they had a major illness, loss of a job or other serious issue, but not if they were avoiding paying me what they owed because their priorities were to buy things like games or such.

My mortgage, insurance, car expenses (so I can get to work!), heat/lights and food etc are at the top of the 'to be paid out' list each month.

LOL! Everyone's complaining about bills and I know I hate paying them too, but let's face it, if you USE the electricity or want to buy the new car/computer/refrigerator etc, you have to pay up!

I can sympathize with having to juggle bills when the cash flow is low, though! I remember having to decide whether to pay the rent or the electric bill a few times as a grad student. Those aren't the days I remember most fondly! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2003, 10:10 AM   #16
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Firestormalpha:
Bills naturally. If you have trouble with bills, you usually don't have enough cash for the government to tax you. Actually, we bought our first computer with a $2000 tax return from the government one year. Low income = free computer from the government. I like that system
Slight correction. You bought the computer with YOUR money, after you loaned it the the government interest-free for a year. If you want to like the system better, claim more "dependents" on your W-4, and the money will be yours earlier, in smaller amounts, rather than lump sum at the end of the year after Uncle has had it for 12 mos.

Stormy, kudos to you. I guess kids make a big difference on this piece of advice, but I'll say it anyway: for me I'd ditch all but the basic basic minimum cable, if even that, and spend the $20 or $30 saved a month on games. As I said, though, having kids may change this -- because the idiot box is great for entertaining them.

Cloudy, in most areas, if you are making *some* payments at all toward your power, they won't turn it off -- ESPECIALLY in the winter. It's a life/death issue for many, and ergo it's hard for the Power Co. to just switch it off. They simply adjust everyone else's bills to compensate for those who don't pay. Remember, the power company's profits are pre-determined, and any time it spends any money on anything, it goes to the gummint asking for a rate hike to keep its profit margins steady. Same with environmental cleanups by power co's -- billed straight back to the rate payers. I encourage folks not to abuse this system, though, because the power co. will still report you to collection agencies and credit bureaus -- usually 2 years down the line after the bill you left unpaid. In fact, I've got a credit agency that just contacted me over a supposed unpaid bill in Syracuse in 2002. Of course, I left in April, and they want to bill me through June. Go figure.

Stormy, final note: always look on the bright side of life -- computer parts, hardware, software, etc. NEVER go up in price over time, only down. Next month you can get it for $29.99.

[ 11-25-2003, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 11-25-2003, 10:16 AM   #17
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

yeah, cloudy, we still go through those days, we have to pay our rent at the begining of the month, then space the bills out over the month, and that does not leave alot for food and diapers, so we are stuck in a no win situation here, and we do not even have a credit card, was offered one, but then my bank decided to charge me $30 for each item that came through after the money was depleted, all the items themselves were less than $5, but it was the over draft that got us, they run them through twice per item, and we spend the next year trying to pay them back, in te mean time, we lose our elictric because the rent is due, or lose the food money to pay the elictric, or worse comes to worse, his boss pays for it, and then my husband is in his debt for the next 2 weeks, which then puts us back in debt, because he is working to pay off his boss, it is a merry go round, without the merry part
true on that point Timber, but do you know how long I have searched for NWN complete set? and this is the only store that I have found it at [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] and they normally cost more than most stores, lol, oh well, I will get it some day

[ 11-25-2003, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: Stormymystic ]
Old 11-25-2003, 12:19 PM   #18
Gab
Zhentarim Guard

Stormy,I understand how you are feeling and I know it sucks. My parents usually expect me to pay for a computer game that I (they pay for enough stuff as it is) and I'm broke right now.

However you can just buy it another time when you have the money. Like I said it sucks but it isn't the end of the world
Old 11-25-2003, 12:46 PM   #19
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Gab:
Stormy,I understand how you are feeling and I know it sucks. My parents usually expect me to pay for a computer game that I (they pay for enough stuff as it is) and I'm broke right now.

However you can just buy it another time when you have the money. Like I said it sucks but it isn't the end of the world
yeah, it is not the end of the world, but dang it, I have not bought me anything for a long time, and think I deserve something i mean for every new set of clothes I get, my husband gets 5, because he has to have nice clothes for work and it is winter tme now, at least feels like it, and I have nothing to keep me warm oh well, I can always use my big double thick blanket as a coat, think he will get the hint then?
Old 11-25-2003, 04:01 PM   #20
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Hm...looks like I should enjoy these bill-free years while they still last! [img]tongue.gif[/img] No bills, or taxes, just a part-time job and money coming in...of course, not to say I haven's spent it...out of the £1113 they've paid me so far, all of it save about £155 is spent! Mostly on a new PC...in parts, and a GC. My friend is the worst, though. He's easily spent over £1000 on a GC and about 7 - 9 games. He is insane, and he don't even have a job!

But when I'm brought back down to earth when I learn things won't always be as smooth as they are for me now. Good luck, Stormy, and I hope things will start looking up! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[ 11-25-2003, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: slicer15 ]