Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-24-2004, 02:40 PM   #11
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Quote:
Originally posted by slicer15:
Wow, thanks a lot! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Well, I tried MemTest via the bootable floppy, but it froze and completely locked up at 69% overall, 7% during Test 7. Does that mean the RAM is likely damaged or not working properly? It never completed the scan, and didn't detect any errors up til then, so I'm not sure...

Also, what do you mean when a Maxtor HDD is self-reporting? Does it mean it warns you if the Hard Drive is dying? To be honest, I didn't consider it to be the Hard Drive until now, when I've seemingly tried everything else. It doesn't make any clicking noises at all when it reboots, and doesn't make other sounds either. Just the usual loading grinding sound.

Also, it might be worth mentioning that I do use partitions. Would that make any difference?

Thank you very much for the help!
Yep, if MemTest freezes something is up. Try these:

1) Re-run the test ( I assume you've done this [img]tongue.gif[/img] )
2) Re-run it from a different floppy, freshly formatted and scanned for errors (just to rule out an error with the media)
3) If you're still having problems with it freezing, whack your BIOS settings to default (it may be called Failsafe or something similar). This will turn off all the fancy options like RAM cacheability, reset any custom RAM timing values etc etc. These options all give performance increases at the expense of stability. (You can access your BIOS by hitting Del or Ctrl+F1 usually when your computer starts up)
4) Re-run the test now. (Anticipating your problem might well be fixed by this point - if its crappy RAM you may well find that default RAM settings fix it)

5) If you still have errors, and you have multiple sticks of RAM, remove one. (i can't remember if this matter, but it's probably good practice to remove the one in slot 2, and keep slot 1 occupied at first)
6) Re-run the test.

7) If it still froze, remove the second stick, replace it with the one you earlier took out. Re-run the test.

That should help you to eliminate the one bad stick (since it's unlikely they both are) It should almost definitely be fixed by now if RAM was the original problem.

If you're still getting errors, to be extra thorough, in case its one of your motherboard RAM slots (I have this problem actually):

8) Put a single stick of RAM in the slot that was unused during the last two tests. Re-run the test.
9) Swap the sticks, re-run the test.

Remember, RAM is pretty fragile out of its case, so be careful not to drop it. (although oddly enough, you always seem to be able to abuse them into their slots safely enough [img]tongue.gif[/img] )
Also remember to keep yourself earthed - the easiest way to earth your case is to leave it plugged in but turned off at the wall - that way you can use the mains earth. (Actually, if you're in America I'm not sure if your sockets have earths to them, I seem to remember two pins when I visited)

Plus Ross is quite correct about his Power Supply comments - I'm happily getting by with a 300W one, so my prices and notions of quality were formed at a time when a 600W supply cost a small fortune and oozed quality. I'm a bit out of date I'm afraid [img]smile.gif[/img]

Sorry, that seems a bit excessive, but when troubleshooting hardware problems I find it's probably best to take your time and be excessively thorough than miss something and spend the next few days hunting for a phantom problem elsewhere.

Lots of Edits

[ 11-24-2004, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
Old 11-24-2004, 02:47 PM   #12
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

I only have on stick of 512MB RAM, but I'll dp the things on your checklist.

Much appreciated, thanks a lot! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2004, 02:56 PM   #13
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Ah, well that makes it much simpler! From point 4, if you still freeze:

5) Move stick of RAM to different RAM slot
6) Re-run test.
7) If it still froze, your RAM is quite possibly screwed [img]tongue.gif[/img] Find someone elses stick of RAM, slot it in and see if your computer still has the original symptoms.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:54 PM   #14
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Well, I moved it to a different slot vainly hoping it was just the slot, but no such luck. I'll run the test again tomorrow. Again, I appreciate all your help. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The only thing is, if I have to replace my RAM I'm screwed. There is no way I have enough money to pay out £60 - 70 for another stick of 512MB RAM.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:11 PM   #15
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

How long have you had the RAM for? You may be able to claim it...I doubt it but...

Can't you get some RAM of off a mate or someone to test?
Old 11-25-2004, 05:25 AM   #16
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Wow... that's a novel feature of the program... if it finishes, you're alright... if it freezes there's a problem.

I thought you weren't supposed to touch RAM without insulating glo9ves because you earth it and the stored charge all dissipates...
Old 11-25-2004, 10:00 AM   #17
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

You know, I think there's something with my graphics card too. See, I've been trying to Baldur's Gate, and I said it reboots when I try.

To be more precise, after the installation it runs the usual config test, and I usually activate all the badass stuff (3D Animation, Brightening, etc.) and it displays the three colours, but instead of flicking back to the desktop asking me whether I saw the colours, it reboots.

So I tried it again deactivating all the 3D stuff, and it worked! However, once in the game when I try and load a save or play a new game it reboots.

I'm seriously concerned. I am absolutely screwed if my graphics card and my RAM are buggered.

...well, it's near Christmas, right?
Old 11-25-2004, 06:10 PM   #18
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Well, I ran the MemTest with the RAM stick in a different port with no luck - it froze again, at exactly the same place. Does this mean something is wrong with it? I mean, if it loads up fine and only crashes for games, or if left idle, how come it works at all?

Sorry about all of this. -_- I appreciate all input!

[ 11-25-2004, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: slicer15 ]
Old 11-25-2004, 06:23 PM   #19
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Did you try Prime 95? Try it too. Also, no one has been near your bios have you? Overclocking could cause this kind of problem? Or anyone been overclocking your GPU?
Old 12-10-2004, 08:30 AM   #20
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Okay, I'm sorry to dig this up, but it's an update on the problem.

I managed to borrow the same stick of RAM off of a friend (512MB, DDR 333 DIMM) and once I replaced my stick, it worked perfectly! Great, I thought, it is the RAM. At least I know which part to replace.

However, once I placed my old stick back in, everything was back to normal! O.o I am really confused...it no longer reboots by itself, Photoshop and other PC games run perfectly, and it was as if the problem never happened.

I'm not complaining, as now I have 1024MB or RAM, but I was wondering what could have been up. I guess I could not put it in properly or something...

Any thoughts? As I said, the problem seems to have vanished. I think I'll keep my new stick and old stick in there, and if the problem crops up, simply remove the old stick again. I'll also run MemTest later.

Thanks for any opinions. [img]smile.gif[/img] You guys have been a great help!