Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum > Wizards & Warriors Archives

Old 10-09-2000, 06:31 PM   #1
Nimishim

I have seen some people posting that monks may not be worth it and that Ninjas overall are better fighters and characters. I really like the traditional monk character in many roleplaying games. The manual isn't very descriptive of each character class. I was wondering if anybody had high level characters in each and could describe the advantages or disadvantages of each class as well as rank which one they felt was overall a better character class. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-09-2000, 07:09 PM   #2
Baff

I just finished the game and I loved both my ninja (thief->ninja) and my monk (priest->monk->zen master). At the end, my ninja did more damage and was a little faster (higher agility), but my monk had healing spells. Mostly my ninja does more damage because he has a skill of 11 in sword, while my monk has only 5 kung fu. When I play through the second time with the same characters, I will convert my ninja to an assasin to see how he compares to my Zen Master, but I suspect the Zen Master will be better since he has access to all guilds except the thieves guild. Not sure yet if my ninja or samuri can become zen masters, will check today.

Baff

Old 10-09-2000, 10:35 PM   #3
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Wow, finished the game already, you must have played it night and day. Good job!

I just made my first ninja, from rogue - samurai to Ninja. I wanted to ask, does the Kung Fu power go up in damage the more you have?

Some of my fighters, like my Samurai has a sword skill of 12, and one of my Barbarians has the same. I don't notice a big deal of difference with them as far as damage goes.

I'm planning on making my Faerie Warlock a monk, since he has level 7 stone and sun magic, and is working on fiend and moon. Actually, I'll make him a Scout first to max out vine magic, then once he is a monk will get the spirit magic, and have all magic in the game.

It takes a while, but its worth it.

Scronan
Old 10-10-2000, 12:52 AM   #4
Baff

Max skill level is 12. Max on attributes is 24.

Either dojo teaches the same skills, you just need to be higher level whithin the guild to get access all the training.

Old 10-10-2000, 01:39 AM   #5
Baff

kicking up the skill in weapons and kung fu increases damage, likeliness to hit, and I think perhaps speed, but not sure. Sorcery makes a big difference when increasing it, but I didn't see a lot with the weapon increases.

Old 10-10-2000, 09:21 AM   #6
Delmax

Note with kung-fu....

With a skill of 7..(At least on my game..)..you get a punch and a kick.....the kick was hitting around 24dmg per hit..and my punch was around 10..that was a totatl of 34dmg..

Old 10-10-2000, 11:21 AM   #7
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Level 7 gives a kick for that much damage? Sounds like something to shoot for, thanks!

Sometimes my Barbarian will hit for massive amounts of damage, but I think this may be the fury skill, not sure. She is level 12 with a sword skill of only 6 or so. My Samurai has a sword level of 12, and I've noticed he never misses, but with a +1 Katana he never does more than 15 damage.

Also, what is the max weapon/kung fu level you can have? I know you cant do it with level increases, only guild training will get you there, and it costs big bucks...

Unfortunately, my Ninja is a vampire, so sometimes she bites, sucks blood, and then kung fu's the monsters and does awesome damage. Also she has a speed rating of 19, elf ninjas with 18 agility and dexterity are faster than hell! At night she sometimes gets three attacks per melee round.

one last thing, which dojo(s) will allow you to train kung fu, death strike, etc? I got tiger strike in the bushi guild.

cool stuff!

Scronan
Old 10-10-2000, 01:49 PM   #8
Delmax

I know my monk was hitting for 24dmg..as his base dmg for kicks..You can train kung-fu with level-up or in guild training..
That is why its says in the book that monks are the master of dmg..2
I believe it..

Though I've found this out..and I'd like someone to answer this for me..
My monk changed to being a paladin..and now he lost his kick...I assume that kick is also level based..or that only pure monks can get this special kick?
Or that wearing armor impacts the kick ability as well..cause when I Changed him to a paladin..he wore chain mail +1...

Just curious on this..

Old 10-10-2000, 03:12 PM   #9
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Hmm, so the Monk's can dish out the most? Now, the book says that the Zenmaster is stronger than them both, so do they get this special kick ability as well, or others?

Also, does the Assassin have Gung Fu as well? My Ninja is still low level, just changed her, but I wont have my warlock ready for monk status for some time...

Level 12 is max, so I guess my Samurai is maxed out then...seems like a waste for some reason...

Thanks!

Scronan