Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 12-07-2000, 02:49 AM   #1
Mantis

I'm in ther mind flayer dungeon in the underdark and i am getting sick of ressurecting my warriors... are there any good tactics that people use for destoying these bastards?
i heard one tactic that involves using intelligence potions or something but i don't have any on me right now.
any help would be much appreciated...

Old 12-07-2000, 02:57 AM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

This is a sign of how busy this board is, eh? Click here for some tactics that someone posted a few days ago.
Old 12-07-2000, 04:06 AM   #3
antaren420

read the 'its kina magic' post and i wrote a strategy that mentioned how to deal with the mindflayers as a spellcaster. however, specifically what my friends and i came up with in killing mindflayers is never let them get close to you.

for this to work, keep your party in a room that you have already cleared.

first, cast up a wizard's eye and cast improved invisibility on someone. use the invisible person to open doors and use the eye to look around for those bad, bad mindflayers. take all your party members, equep them with ranged weapons, and move them to the back of a room. cast up some creatures, and then send a few of the creatures to the mind flayers. the flayers will use up thier psy stun on the summoned creatures, and you can eventually draw the mindflayers to you, a few at a time. the flayers will be buisy killing your summoned creatures while you pick them off with your ranged weapons. if they do get close, make sure you have casted invisibility and bless on anyone you can, as that 'brain suck' attack is what causes your fighters to die with just one hit. that attack is a melee attack, and since it must make contact with you in order to kill you, i'm assuming things that boost your AC would help your chances of not dieing. i'm not sure if your saving throws come into play when deturmining when the brain suck attack kills you or not, but it wouldnt hurt to cast bless and chant on everyone when the flayers get close.

another strategy that worked for me: summon some bears, 5 of them, at the front of a door that you know some mindflayers are behind. prep your party for the battle, and then throw open the door. as the bears come out, they will be hit with the psi attack and be stunned, and they will also block the door, preventing those ugly things from getting to you immediately. the mindflayers are magic resistant with high saving throws, but if have a powerful spell caster then cast area effect spells like crazy in the other room. have the rest of the party hit the flayers with missle weapons as the flayers try to kill the bears. if a bear dies, summon a creature in the middle of the flayer group, it will distract them as you continue to pick them off with ranged weapons. merphs minute missles works well for spell casters in this situation. if you can gate in a deamon, summon the creature in the middle of the flayer group, especially if you have a gate spell. pit lords are also magic resistant and high saving throws, but it will still be killed in an imberisingly short amount of time. chaos the damn things if you can, that will atleast dissable one or two of the flayers immediately.